Ex-player: Alex OXLADE-CHAMBERLAIN

Why did we extend his contract in 2019? :exploding_head:

1 Like

Because he had been an excellent player before his injury.

Can’t discredit that in my view. Maybe the club should have considered that but it’s perfectly valid then, what wouldn’t be would be extending it now.

But Klopp doesn’t seem to trust him.

Well he isn’t anywhere the player he was, the games he played last season he was poor and this season his chances he has had were meh at best.

There certainly isn’t anywhere you’d play him currently. His perfect position actually was possible at the top of a diamond or as furthest CM forward but he just isn’t good enough anymore for whatever reason.

Whether we realised it at the time, the guy suffered a career ending injury out on the pitch at Anfield… not in any obvious way of permanent limp, needing crutches or a zimmerframe for the rest of his life type of way, but I feel his head has gone, his mental fortitude is not in evidence out on the pitch anymore. Getting a new contract a while back, being kept as part of the squad, one of the boys… Is just another form of being awarded a golden parachute for services rendered in the past… Hope he can salvage some memories from what time his career has left… obviously it will be for another club though

1 Like

Would have been very harsh to have dumped him at that period, I looked back through his Wiki and it does seem to be how I remembered it though there seems to a spell after his return that I don’t remember but sounded like he was getting goals.

Suppose it’s a lesson going forward.

1 Like

Thankfully he will be gone in the summer.

When you are getting smashed 5-2 at home, the manager looks to the bench and choses a 37 year old over you then you know your time is up.

1 Like

Everyone knows that his time is up, and that’s been for a while. Last night had no bearing on that.

1 Like

…and an 18yr old in front you. It must be embarrassingly painful for AOC at the moment but he is picking up a decent wedge each week so there is that… Maybe the move can’t come quickly enough for him either

His time was up about 4 years ago, only been used in that time as an emergency option when we had no forwards left….hasnt even been used once in his preferred position in that time because he’s so crap.

Saying that Milner deserved to come on before him.

88th minute. $hitty knocking the ball around. Milner injects urgency in the press, setting Bobby and Darwin to both increase their pace and cut out the passing lanes. So $hitty switch the ball to their left, as Ox is dawdling about to allow an easy out for them.

Injuries have finished him, but coming on as a fresh sub, he needs to at a minimum put in some effort.

The City goals were great, especially the CL one, but I always loved his second goal against Genk. Technically my favourite from him. Absolute peach.

6 Likes

He gave us that drive from midfield and a threat from outside the box. So so unfortunate with injuries. Ah what could have been.

Best of luck Ox. YNWA

3 Likes

Yup before his injury he was generally a guy who could change a game.

He never looked fit or able after it. It’s a very clear line which you don’t have with say Naby Keita.

2 Likes

Any rumors on where he might be heading to? I have a feeling he will go to USA.

https://twitter.com/theanfieldtalk/status/1667587206477693053?s=61&t=CHnRQ3uRWoyAgq-tzUnftA

Good move for Ox.

4 Likes

Puzzling move for Villa though I think on first thought. One of the challenges for Ox beyond staying fit is figuring out what sort of player he’s supposed to be since these injuries. Presumably someone as savvy as Emery has an idea of what that could be if they are going ahead with this.

Better move for him than expected, though I can’t see him being any higher than 6th or so choice for them in midfield. They’ll need depth and experience with a European campaign coming up so would expect he’d still get a decent amount of minutes.

2 Likes