Ex-player: Arthur MELO

or they couldve looked at his injury record for the last few years.

If they did they took a uge gamble.

At first, Klopp makes an estimation error by thinking we have enough midfielders when TchouamƩni choose Real and when everyone who is decent was gone they took the used-to-be decent Melo who was coming back from injury and was not fit. When he finally was fit he got injured again, a huge fuck up IMO.

1 Like

Do you think this is common practice.
ā€“Lets sign this lad Arthur.
ā€“Whats his injury record?
ā€“Ah, who gives a fuck!

Are you really believing that the club donā€™t pore over every detail. And take the odd risk. In this instance on a loan signing.

5 Likes

I really dont think they did on this one. If they had they wouldnt have bothered to sign him.
We needed a player and 24 hour this one signed. It a clear panic signing that has backfired.

1 Like

In your simplistic lens, yes. But medical teams donā€™t just look at playersā€™ medical history the way many fans do, in the sense that a particular player has had many injuries before so theyā€™re one to avoid.

I donā€™t think we just go out there and sign just about any player. Our operation quite clearly has a lot of due diligence involved.

2 Likes

How has it backfired? We havent been short because our signing wasnt up to speed/fitness. Weā€™re short because we left it until the last day of the window to decide we needed to make a move and couldnā€™t find anything on such short notice that could move the needle for us. Arthur was a punt that so far has not worked out, but itā€™s not the signing of him per se that has backfired.

1 Like

Backfired implies a level of expectation or investment, to my ear. I still think the situation was the same as when we signed him - he was on our scouting radar because he has elements to his game we like but he was firmly down the list due to things like form and injury. When we were struggling for reinforcements we dipped down to take a flier on him. If he got fit and stayed injury free then cool we might make something useful from him, but even at the time of signing I expect our own expectation was nothing more than ā€œthis might workā€.

4 Likes

Arthur worked his ass off to get into Kloppā€™s thoughts. He was a good player who lost his way with all the disruption at Juventus. He got an unexpected shot at Liverpool, and he hired diet and fitness professionals to help him make the most of his chance. Iā€™ve nothing but respect for his endeavor.

On our end it could have been a canny acquisition on a loan deal. Who knows, he still might have a contribution to make. I wish the lad well.

The wider error is not Arthur specific, but is to do with overall management of the midfield department. Most of us have had our say on that one. Bottom line the department needs an overhaul. Everyone knows it. At least three will depart, but quite possibly more, and you would have to think that we will recruit two midfielders who can make an excellent contribution here. Put me down for Bellingham and Enzo while weā€™re at it!

Still, Meloā€¦ good luck to him. I hope he gets fit and has a chance to show us what he can do.

9 Likes

The thing with Arthur to date is that there hasnā€™t been a series of stop/start false dawns like some others in the squadā€¦ The guy is injured and has been from the word goā€¦ Unfortunate as the injury was, at least we know were we stand regards picking a teamā€¦
With the hard work the lad has put into his application to date might still turn into the winning goal in a Champions League finalā€¦
It is not his fault entirely we have found ourselves wanting in the middle of the park in the first half of the seasonā€¦
Lets see what happens from here on in is what I say

2 Likes

We donā€™t need a medical either

If Iā€™m honest he delivered what I expected, if he delivers somewhat more then Iā€™ll be delighted.

Jurgen wanted the club to take more of a risk. Two days later we signed this guy.

Now, Iā€™m not sure if this was the specific risk Jurgen wanted us to take, but if so, Iā€™d say itā€™s one up for the risk adverse recruitment guys.

1 Like

This is going to haunt him for the rest of time, isnā€™t it?

Could hang on whether Melo is a game changer in the Champions League Final win.

Still too early to tell.

2 Likes

Didnā€™t Melo got injured while training for weeks after joining us?

1 Like

Doesnā€™t matter, this line will be debated for decades.

New owners, new manager, as long as this era is being discussed you can be sure the topic will come up.

Another ben Davies :smiley:

who?

He has already played 10 mins which is more than Davies did.

3 Likes

Wonā€™t be sold for a profit in the summer like Ben Davies either