Ex-player: Arthur MELO

Oh so hes missed 36 games…thats pretty much a season…

Midfielder brought in to ease injury crisis…hasnt played…and is now out for 4 months…

Pretty pointless signing like your post.

1 Like

Any such thing as empathy in your vocabulary? Really sure he didn’t fucking injure himself to piss off supporters, really sure.

Or maybe he read some of your “in match” comments about our players and decided he was having none of it.
But then he is not Jude Bellingham and there was no furious wanking over him, so he really was never going to be welcome.

3 Likes

The short answer is yes.

3 Likes

And I’d bet he’d be the 1st one to want sympathy if something happened to him!

Gotta give Arthur his dues he tried to get match fit even turning for the U21’s

Oh and this is the quote from the Wikipedia for his namesake Paul Walsh

“He went on to struggle with injury at Anfield

2 Likes

I met Paul Walsh, in the Moat House when he was playing for Spurs.
He was an arrogant bollox, wouldn’t look at a kid asking for his autograph.

What about the long answer? (Or is that saved for paying clients?) :joy:

1 Like

I agree with Walshy - I think, given our injury circumstances and need to sign a stopgap, Melo was a poor signing. He wasn’t fit when we signed him and, regardless of his potential, hadn’t performed at a good level for two years. I feel he was very much our version of a panic buy and rather than spending 4.5m on a short term option we should have (as Klopp now puts it) taken a risk on a player in the summer. The ‘low risk’ ‘cheap’ option of Melo was just a waste of cash.

Now that all said, doesn’t mean I have anything against the lad and the reports are that he really wanted to impress so I can imagine how gutted he’d be to get injured trying to get fit. And a really do sympathise and because of his loan situation it would be even worse for him as he’d feel he’d ‘blown’ his chance with us. Hopefully he heals quickly and maybe even gets to have a cameo in the last couple of months in the season (although hopefully we’ll be in the running for stuff and our squad will be at full strength so we won’t need him) and can go on to have a good career elsewhere. Hopefully the club learn from this and next time choose the ‘risky’ option and avoid the ‘cheap’ stopgap. Even better, the club starts to replenish the side every year so this sort of thing doesn’t happen again for a long time!

He wasn’t match fit because Juventus had made it clear they wanted rid of him, wasn’t it?

As for his performance, wasn’t one of the main reasons they wanted rid of him because they didn’t actually want him in the first place?

I think too many people are accepting the tabloid interpretation of what he said as gospel truth. Considering he said it within the context of not wanting to bring in an additional midfielder until Henderson got injured, I think it not very likely that he was talking about wanting the club to be taking additional risk in signing a new midfielder.

I’m not going to argue with you. I think Melo is clearly now a poor signing but I hope it works out well for him. In the meantime, we really need to keep Thiago, Hendo and Fabinho fit and I hope we can sign a great long term prospect in January.

Melo might be just what was ordered at the business end of the season… Unfortunate that he can’t help with stoking the Jurgen train at the minute though
Its Naby’s and Ox’s bad fortune that is hurting us in the here and now

Of course i sympathise but its a signing that shouldve never happened.

2 Likes

It is at least two things. On the personal human level, we can feel gutted for the fella. Got a move to Liverpool, doing all in his power to get into the reckoning, which is praiseworthy, but then breaks down injured.

On another level, we are short in midfield (not in overall numbers, but in players who are available) and the club is culpable for not planning better, and recruiting better, in this area of the park. A reset is hopefully coming, but as fans we have a fair shout for being underwhelmed that is has got to this.

None of that is Melo’s fault and I wish him well.

5 Likes
4 Likes

Jürgen confirmed that there is no break clause in his contract, so he will be here for the rest of the season at least.

2 Likes

Yup, shame really a full season he may have done something.

2 Likes

Hope he comes off the bench in Istanbul and scored the winner in the Champions League final for us.

5 Likes

Bench? Winner?

He’ll score the first of 9 goals. Starts the game only to be taken off after 60 minutes for James Milner to see the game out (only to win and score a hat-trick of penalties). You heard it here first.

It has now been more than two months since his injury and at the start of the week, reports in Italy stated he could return “by the end of the month,” after “positive” progress.

1 Like

What a great signing he’s turning into. 4.5m pounds well spent.

1 Like

Because our recruitment team are all psychic and should have foreseen his injury, obviously.

5 Likes