Ex-player: James MILNER

First time he played right wing inā€¦ ages. Which was his first position in senior football, back to basics (probably us wanting to protect Trent against Kvaratskhelia). Did alright until he had to come off. Played him at LCM so much, there were many times when I wanted us to play him more at RCM.

1 Like

A good article on Millieā€™s career:

5 Likes

Crazy to think that I actually felt gutted when he came off, heā€™s now delivered two very good performances this year when starting.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Milner has played 71 games in the Champions League. 51 of those in Liverpool shirt. :heart_eyes: :star_struck:

6 Likes

One of which he walked away with the Winners Medal.

1 Like

Bit of a crazy stat.

2 Likes

So he was born after Millie :thinking:

https://youtu.be/0Y5BhXnpyD4

1 Like

Happy 37th Birthday to our mean machine.

Still so young.

New contract on the horizon?

3 Likes

Heā€™s a midfielder so no.

With all due respect to Millie, I am sorry but this summer he needs to be moved on. This is where boss gets himself into that borderline of being too loyal.
He will not start more than 8 PL games next season or even less. We could rather use his free wages in buying atleast 2 established young players who could inject much needed energy in our side.A midfielder and a Salah back up.

This season has already been a prime example of us not moving players at the right time.
I understand that he is the ultimate professional for young players and sometimes we have been a victim of making a bit too much out of that.
Because implicitly, are we saying Hendo /Thiago/Allison or Salah cannot show the young players on how to be professional and set standards.

This is where I feel a strong DoF is required to offer a counter opinion to boss, which clearly seems to be lacking after Edwards departure.
No player should be made to feel like they are irreplaceable, club is above everything and everyone.

Milner will stay, and we should keep him. His wages will be reduced and if a younger player canā€™t knock him off the bench then there is little hope that the youth player in question will make a difference in a game. Keita and Ox will be gone, and there is your Ā£200k a week off the wages. This is the first season that he has been hampered by injuries, and none of them major.

Heā€™s a fantastic leader that knows heā€™s a squad player. He will be on a rolling Year by year contract. Posters here have been trying to sell him, not renew him for 3 years, and he keeps on delivering. Liverpool will be his last club.

8 Likes

I donā€™t think any sensibly run club will actually try to sign Milner at this point in time.

Milner and Hendo need to retire at this club. Their importance go beyond their playing time. In many senses, they represent what this club is and should continue to be. Discipline, hard work, humility, passion and rising up as the underdog. They are symbols that any young players coming to this club should aspire to emulate as a person.

4 Likes

Will be a huge loss in weekly wages for Milner to drop down from the playing level to the coaching levelā€¦ If LFC donā€™t renew his playing contract for another year, I can see him moving into another playing role somewhere else until his legs, ankles and hips actually stop workingā€¦ only then can I see him moving into a coaching role, but it will be a shame to lose such experience from Anfield

1 Like