Ex-player: James MILNER

The reality is that, his legs are gone (and so is Hendo’s) - this has been the case for the last few years. Him being replaced is overdue.

For two players whose legs are gone they have been very good :joy::joy:
And Henderson lifting them 7 trophies with no legs.

2 Likes

Loved his tackles when he came on last night.

3 Likes

They can both play if time is managed, they shouldn’t be relied upon but Hendo still has a season or two of managed game time. I would say Milner player/coach may work but I do feel this should be his last full season if he stays here.

Its a sensible signing if the price is right.

If you want him to play 90mins, 40 games a season, then yes his legs have gone. If you want an experienced player for a defined role with limited minutes, leadership, professionalism, role model, game intelligence, and all this without throwing his toys out the pram, then look no further. Some of you really need to understand the reasoning behind having a bench that has the ability to offer different things at different moments.

5 Likes

The clubs that sign players at the age of 37 are not a lot. Only those club who are concerned about signing big names without considering sustainability of on-field performance does that.

Gary Mac wasn’t a bad signing, Thiago Silva is still boss at Chelsea… rare cases, but they’re out there. And we could see more of those with knowledge, professionalism in all aspects and players prolonging their careers a bit.

Milner is the least of our problems, he’s actually not a problem at all. I have nothing against if the club judge he merits another year here. The serious “drop” might happen at any time, in the middle of a season. He looks better than a lot of 30-year olds who should be apparently in their prime. When does he stop exactly is not such an important thing (giving 4-5 year contracts to other underperforming/injured players is more so), he must be so valuable to have around the place even when he’s not playing.

What Klopp said recently is exactly how I feel. Apart from his boyhood Leeds, Liverpool is probably now “his” club. If he’s got potential for coaching, you’d welcome with open arms the possibility for him to remain in a role here, as long as he merits it of course.

4 Likes

Considering he’s probably played a fair bit, (bar that one season when Klopp didn’t need him so much) through this intense Klopp era, his body at 37 has held up far better than half of the squad.

If he suddenly dropped off then fair enough but if he knows his role at the club and is able to continue with the cameos he delivers and is happy with that then he is worth keeping.

I doubt he’s playing a full season for anyone at this time in his career. With the benches as big as they are and 5 subs available he isn’t a bad player to have and they would know if he had fallen off a cliff in training.

3 Likes

The 3 ones he won straight after each other was a highlight, he need s to coach Elliot how to tackle, even the late ones

1 Like

I think the one who learnt his tackling style could be Bajectic…Elliott doesn’t strikes me as someone who can win the ball…

That’s why I said he needed the help, as he can’t tackle and needs to learn how, Stefan certainly can tackle

1. Made it through the entire match. Played two positions. Was credible at both. One of our best players yesterday.
7 Likes

Give this guy a new deal.

A 2-year deal. :sunglasses:

1 Like

James Milner MBE

10 Likes

Is this today…

2 Likes

Hope he can overtake Barry.

But not with Liverpool :grimacing:

1 Like

To be honest I don’t care if he stays he cares and bar Alisson and Robbo and possibly the likes of Nunez and Elliott it’s a rarity in our squad. We need a complete rebuild now so I’d be happy for his contract to be extended.

If this guy doesn’t sign on, I will hate to lose his experience and leadership. We need to replace him and better.

1 Like