Ex-player: James MILNER

Is he definitely leaving?
I’d keep him as a coach, but if he thinks he can still be a starter somewhere, good luck to him.

1 Like

40 games away from being named top PL appearance holder. He’ll need 2/3 seasons with us to reach that number or maybe half that time with another club.

1 Like

Right time to move on, been one hell of a servant…possibly shades Matip as our best ever free signing. True professional, one of the leaders through our successful period. He leaves with nothing less than my best wishes.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1653761162905804805?s=20

1 Like
2 Likes

So, numbers 7, 8, 9 and 10 will be free this summer.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks like they’ve found their replacement for MacAlister already :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

They’ll have Milner and Gross causing havoc and confusion, rotating between RB and midfield all game.

:slight_smile:

But seriously, Brighton are obviously on a pretty good way of getting into Europe next season. It’s a pretty short squad they have over there + they might want to get rid of a few. Not to mention a few big sales. Millie’s experience will be important. Plus, he might get the number of games he wants, or better to say, minutes. I think we were somehow trying to seduce him with a lot of cameos. Also the feeling that perhaps we have to turn to some new players here and it’s time for a new challenge.

When he finishes his playing career, I hope we’re in touch and see if there’s willingness and merit to return to our club in some capacity.

3 Likes

Good move for James.

If there’s one player you would want to go from player to backroom staff…it would be Millie. Sad sad day…is it confirmed…pls say no…

2 Likes

He probably wants to play on for a bit before that, and won’t get many games next year with our new midfield

2 Likes

He is less than 50 appearances away from breaking Gareth Barry record for most appearanced in the PL. It will be the most appropriate for a player like him, who just does his job, shies away from unnecessary publicity, yes he is well off but he is as close to a working class millionaire footballer as you can get.

Hope he finds a club that can give him what he desires and deserves, here or anywhere else

3 Likes

I knew he was going to be a good signing when he first came in but I never imagined he’d contribute as much as he did. And he still has a lot to offer. He should retire a Red.

Hopefully, when it’s all said and done, he’ll be identified with Liverpool more than any other of his previous clubs.

This aged well.

3 Likes

Indeed. But we will lose a huge amount of winning experience, our depth in midfield will be further depleted, we’ll lose our back-up right back, and on a personal level, I’ll be sad to see him leave. Such a great, lovely character to have around…

I’d love to see him become a coach at the club in a Ronnie Moran-style role at the club, maybe in a few years? Maybe he has it in himself to eventually become a good top-level manager.

But for the time being, I completely understand that he wants to find a team offering him the opportunity to play regularly at a high level.

1 Like

Slightly confused with this one… Is he moving because he has not been offered any contract extension of sorts, or he has been offered an extension, but just not on same terms… Seems strange, if reports are correct that Jurgen wants him to stay, why would he go instead of keeping the tag-team together for another season… :man_shrugging:

Perhaps he wants to be more than someone who comes on for five minutes to shuffle the ball in the corner?
Which, if you have 2 or 3 additional midfielders and Bradley/Ramsay/Gomez in the squad, is probably as much as you can promise him.

Aye, and he’s got his good mate speaking very fondly about how wonderful a club it is to be a part of and how involved he’s been able to be even when not playing. It really does seem like a good fit for him both in terms of what hes got left to give on the pitch and his other intangibles.

1 Like

37 year old signed for two years(?) and we will miss him more than the not to be mentioned 28 and 29 year olds.

He’s been great for the club. But all things need to come to an end.

I really wanted him to see out his career in Liverpool but if Milly feels that he could do better at a more smaller club (with still a high level of football) and possibly a bit better schooling etc for the kids etc , closer to London i believe so there’s that advantage as well … Would leave him more time to get his coaching badges etc etc done too

We have too many midfielders who aren’t starting quality, hopefully Milner will be replaced with one who is.

Time to move on. He has had a great career at Liverpool though, my favourite game of his was the 4-0 vs Barca, and particularly his second half against Messi. The quintessential Milner performance.

5 Likes

I think the club has done good by him by offering him a contract. He’s done good by the club knowing that he can’t take up a place in the squad when the only meaningful minutes he’s going to be getting is as a late substitute to close out matches and the odd appearances in league Cup / fa cup matches.