Ex-player: Naby KEITA

Me too I thought he was going to push us along to even more trophies

1 Like

I held out hope for him for the longest time as well.

1 Like

agree. I think he checked out and for that reason i have no idea why we didnt sell him even if we only got ÂŁ10m same with Ox. Weve kept them hanging around and they never played even when our worst and they were fit at the time couldnt get in.

Nabby is a perfect example of the difference between us and Man Cheaty…LFC have to get transfers right and cant afford for them to fail who unlike Cheaty bought Philiips for the same amount as Keita and has barely kicked a ball for them - but its no issue for them.

3 Likes

I should imagine because nobody wanted to buy him.

2 Likes

Some don’t seem to get it. :confused:

2 Likes

If we just got shot for even ÂŁ5m each and saved their combined wages we maybe couldve bought someone else.
This season weve paid them silly money again for never playing… along with Arthur…

1 Like

Do you know of any clubs that were willing to buy either of these perma-injured players and meet their high wage demands?

4 Likes

Its football every club has players like this. These 2 are off very soon but next season we will be moaning about some other players.

Don’t worry, that person doesn’t bother waiting for next season. Always someone to moan about.

He also got just plain unlucky in the timing of his injuries - granted, easy to do when they happen all the time. Virtually ever period where we really needed him and he had a real opportunity to establish himself, he ended up getting injured.

I do think his national team bears significant responsibility for his terrible conditioning. There were several international breaks where there was absolutely no way he was near peak fitness, yet played two full games in a matter of days.

4 Likes

Because no one else is taking an injury prone player at liverpool wages, meaning Naby has little reason to agree to a move. There are definitely ways to mitigate the cost, but once you’ve got a lemon on the books (I dont even mean this is a crisiticm of Naby’s character or attitude, just a reflection of the fact his body just isnt fit for purpose) its difficult to offload the financial commitment you’ve made to it

3 Likes

It was the combination of that awkward looking injury from the fall against Real in 2021 coupled with him then somehow playing in the next international window despite being no where near fit and ending up being carried off the field by a couple of medical staff from the Guniean team. I dont think he ever had another run in the team after that.

2 Likes

If Naby couldn’t agree to a new contract with lower wages, he might become unemployed for a huge period of time!

Unfortunately, the lad won’t be missed. In fact, his departure frees up a good chunk of wages for a new player who will hopefully be more reliable in physical terms.

Sorry Naby, I liked you a lot as a player during the rare periods when you were fit, but in the whole, your stay at the club has to be seen as a failure. Good luck for your future, and all the best!

He will agree now that he is at the end of a high-end PL contract. But that is a different proposition to agreeing to move with 1-2 years left on that contract. My guess is that he leaves the UK and takes a huge hit - average wages in the Bundesliga for example are about half the PL, and even that doesn’t really capture the difference because of Bayern’s distorting effect. Bayern has almost 3x the salary budget of the 3rd highest BL team, and is close to 2x the 2nd highest. Similar relationships apply in France and Italy, and it slides downward from there.

1 Like

Maybe, and if you were facing a period of extended unemployment would you agree to end your current period of highly paid employment a year or two early?

1 Like

Poor Kenny.

1 Like

If only Naby could have stayed fit over longer periods of time, this video would be four times longer. What ifs, eh?

1 Like

Naby and Ox are two infuriating cases. Not just supremely talented, they brought something different on the table.

If either of them managed 10000 mins, we would have had another PL and CL titles.

1 Like