Ex-player: Naby KEITA

No contract extension for Keita. I have no faith in his ability to stay fit. He will always let us down. Just let him run down his contract.

Good thing the club is more thorough than you.

If they were thorough, our midfield wouldnā€™t be in the state that it is now. So much for forward planning.

2 Likes

We all know that on his good day, he is class. Thatā€™s why weā€™ve tried to make it work.

But itā€™s just a case of play well for a few games, then out with an injury (which lasts for an unknown time). Then heā€™ll be on the bench waiting for his turn again.

But just when we need him to start, the injury happens again. We just cannot rely on him at all. People can say that he has been available for selection, but he needs a few games to get going, and itā€™s all a bit stop start.

He just never can get a good run of games together. I mean, Gini, Mane, Suarez and Mo are outliers. But Keita is an outlier in the opposite direction.

Heā€™s basically been Harry Kewell mark II.

1 Like

You underestimate the effects of luck.

2 Likes

Counterfactuals are the most annoying form of argument. They are completely untestable and allows the arguer to grow ever more confident in their assertion in the absence of the argument having the ability to ever to disproven.

1 Like

Well of course. Iā€™m assuming that something clearly sated as a personal opinion will be easily understood as such.

Not in our CL squad?

He must be out injured until January or fallen out with JĆ¼rgen.

This feels like a confirmation of what weā€™ve already suspected - his time at Liverpool is quite likely done. The only issue is that heā€™s our fourth most expensive player ever and that is likely 50+ million pounds plus wages down the drain (not quite Pogba level but stillā€¦).

Weā€™ve always had one supremely talented player whose legs were made of glass but it seems as though Kloppā€™s Liverpool sides always have at least two (Sturridge and Lallana at first, now Keita, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Matip, Gomez and Alcantara - I just wonder who else will join that list). Itā€™s a crying shame as I really, really wanted the club to sign Lallana and him and thought they would be massive players for us.

3 Likes

His exclusion from the CL squad means heā€™s out until November because thatā€™s when the last group game is. I suppose it is feasible he might return after the World Cup, but I think it is more likely he is done here and for whatever reason we wonā€™t see him much, if at all, during the last year of his contract. The one positive is at least he didnā€™t sign that new contract we allegedly offered him. That never made any sense to me given his availability.

2 Likes

Really harsh to include Gomez on that list.

Iā€™m not sure why you and anyone else would use it as an indication that KeĆÆtaā€™s time here is likely done though. If anything it only goes to suggest the seriousness of his latest injury, rather than the supposed throwing the toys out of the pram like some people on here would believe.

1 Like

No disrespect meant to either player but Gomez has already missed the equivalent of three to four entire seasons in his time at Liverpool (and heā€™s been here for seven seasons, going on eighth if Iā€™m not mistaken).

As for Keita, his contract is up next summer, heā€™s started the season with disputes over new contract and with an injury that will likely sideline him for around three months and heā€™s been unavailable for at least that much every season. Heā€™s thus been excluded from our CL squad - if thatā€™s not an indicator that his time here might be coming to a close, then I really donā€™t know what would make you think that way. Unless he accepts some pay-as-you-play type of contract, I donā€™t see how he remains here after the next summer.

3 Likes

Yeah it is. Everything pointed to him being the ideal Klopp midfielder. Thing is, he had a bad injury record at Salzburg as well but it got even worse with us, understandable as we are a high velocity, high impact league.

I donā€™t remember if I read it on Twitter bullshit or some place more respectable, but there seem to be rumor that he/his agent was demanding a handsome raise as well as guaranteed playing time.

Bajcetic is the 17th non-homegrown player in the squad. With Milly, Hendo, Carv and Gomez being named as our 4 association trained players, there isnt room for Ox or Naby unless we deregistered Bajcetic. That doesnt necessarily mean that neither will be back before the end of the group stage, just that they are expected to miss enough of the group stage games to justify giving the spot to the Spaniard.

With the rules in the league being a bit different (both Carv and Bajcetic would be on the kids list) there would be room to register both of them in the Prem.

5 Likes

Mostly from major contact injuries.

I think there were reports that he was offered a new contract and theyā€™re in negotiation, Iā€™m unaware thereā€™s been anything else bar one dodgy rumour from Germany?

Heā€™s been excluded because of the injury, so how does that relate to being an indicator? The club, in offering him a new contract, will most likely have already assessed his physical condition and probability of getting a new injury. Itā€™s not like itā€™s big news.

So basically, once again, fans getting baited successfully by ā€œjournalistsā€.

I donā€™t believe any of it.

He missed 9 games over 3 seasons due to injury with Salzburg? Not sure where youā€™re getting a bad injury record fromā€¦

1 Like