Ex-player: Naby KEITA

I haven’t said that those are factual information, I merely pointed out the rumors I have heard.

Yes, and I didn’t say you believed it nor that it was factual. I’m just pointing out that once again, people are getting baited by “journalists” who know that any sort of controversy or rumours makes for good drama, and therefore clicks/views, and therefore more revenue.

1 Like

You are right though. I barely notice Twitter let alone sharing information from Twitter. Fact is I’m just pissed. I know it’s not his fault and by all accounts (or the lack of thereof) Naby leads a disciplined life, so it’s not even his lifestyle that’s contributing to his fitness. But for a club like us, it’s really frustrating to accept the meager returns on such hefty investments.

2 Likes

That Madrid game in 2021 looks like the beginning of the end for him. He had found some form and fitness and then went off after a really awkward fall that tweaked something in his hip. He then played for Guniea that summer and made the injury worse after getting some very sub par treatment. He’s never been reliably fit and on form since.

It’s a delicate subject, but I wonder if we, or others, will take that as a lesson - be weary of players who are superstars for weak and financially poor teams? If Naby was Senegalese he maybe doesnt play in those games because they have other players to fill in. If he was Brazilian does he get better treatment with the team after showing up with a niggle?

3 Likes

Absolutely, when you’re spending 50 million you have to take every consideration.

Keita can never refuse to play for Guinea, realistically. He’s their talisman and by far their best player, would the people there really be understanding if he started ruling himself of squads every other international break?

It’s an awful lot of pressure and responsibility. The other benefit to signing a Brazilian specifically (not quite your point I know) is that they’re likely to miss a lot of international football/not get picked even if they’re mustard.

2 Likes

As a Welshman I say fuck Giggs, but is the example that proves the rule. His willingness to sit out our games was so galling because of how unusual and blatant it was

1 Like

But you can’t do that anymore, can you? You have to play if you are selected for NT.

This exactly. Bigger teams have such a deep pool that only the established players are called regularly.

5th season at the club, well done, still hasn’t kicked a straight ball, utter dog shit.

Not sure that was a dodgy source - the guy in question called Mane’s transfer to Bayern before any other source.

I think that Keita had probably been offered a new contract but on terms that he deemed unsuitable, therefore he didn’t sign it. With his latest injury that led to exclusion from club’s CL list, I think that the possibility of him signing on will be even smaller. There are only so many injuries that the club can tolerate from one player and it’s not like he was irreplaceable whenever he played. Also, he might feel hurt because of that (pun not intended) and accept that it’s best for him to move on. Just which club will take him with his injury record remains to be seen.

1 Like

I always assumed he was going to run his contract down and leave on a free anyway. The only difference now is that we’ll be lucky if we even get half a season out of him before he fucks off.

1 Like

Getting one thing right once is one thing, but getting things right consistently?

Maybe Bayern have already tapped him up and promised him the world…
Paying £35m for Mane with the foresight his little pal will follow him for free…!
If this proves to be the case at some future date… then I will say it now before he leaves… f*** him.!
BUT…
If he stays and signs a new contract and begins to play like Maradona… then I might even forgive him that miss in the CL final when he went for the spectacular instead of ensuring he just hit the ball on target…!
He must be up there in the top 3 most frustrating players to ever pull on a red shirt

How many midfielders do they need! Already got Gravenberch this summer.

If they get him for nothing they may sell him on and make a profit on him somewhere down the line…
Something just doesn’t seem right about the whole Naby/Contract thing… To date though, and for whatever reason put forward for his lack of progress in the side, he has certainly not proved value for money… But one can only hope there is still opportunity to do just that and he repays the faith Jurgen and the fans have shown him if/before he goes elsewhere

How? Unless it’s a Smicer-like cameo(s) that leads to Ole Big Ears no 7. Won’t be in the first part at least

There was a period last season where he was largely healthy but not used very much. If I was in that situation going into my last season under contract I’d definitely test the water to get a sense of where I stood and its not then uncommon to try to force a move if you dont like the response you get.

1 Like

Do people really feel the need to keep posting his injury record, we know it. We don’t need constant reminders what a sick note he is.

Quicker we part ways with the guy, no more do we need to keep reading or hearing about “Oh, Naby’s picked up a knock”, “Oh Naby’s down clutching his crotch again.”

January 2nd, get rid.

1 Like

Easier said than done.

2 Likes

Exactly. No-one’s gonna be forking out for him in January when they can get him on a free six months later.

1 Like

I think we can just treat the Keita situation rationally:

1. He has had a spate of injuries, and none of these are his fault
  2. If the club has offered him an extension, Naby has decided its not in his best interests to sign it. Likewise, if there was an offer, the club have weighed up the injury history and decided better terms weren’t in our interest. I don’t feel anger or anything from either party. We all need to do whats best for player and club
  3. I don’t think it would make sense for the club to change their mind now and offer something better to him. So he’ll leave on a free next summer
  4. The latest injury has probably ensured we as fans can move on from him and not hold out hope that we’ll see the RB Keita that we know once existed. Strike a line through his name. I personally think the soft tissue injuries he’s received over the last few years mean he can’t push his body like he could in his younger days, and that’s in large part why we don’t see the explosive Keita that we saw when we started our chase for him. He will never get back to his best unfortunately because of these injuries

I just want it to be over. I’m sick of defending him. And I am sure there are a lot of people on here sick of attacking him as well.

7 Likes