Ex-player Trent Alexander-Arnold

No, because Dumfries is a donkey.

1 Like

I guess they will see how Maureen manages them.

Trent Alexander-Arnold has opened up on the ā€œabuseā€ he suffered online after opting to leave Liverpool for Real Madrid last year.

In his first real interview about the issue, he also told the Daily Mirror how he felt after he was booed at Anfield in the game that immediately followed confirmation of his decision to move in May 2025.

ā€œAbuse online and threats made via social DMs or in other ways are a sad part of life in 2026 if you’re in the public eye and doing things that create a lot of attention. I choose to keep those things away from me because they don’t feel real.

ā€œI can rationalise that by knowing it’s not representative of a football club I love, LFC, and it’s not representative of my home city.

ā€œThe booing and disappointment from Liverpool supporters is something I’m absolutely able to shoulder. I can understand it, in my own way. I heard a lot during that period that Liverpool fans didn’t want to be told how to feel or think, and I agree. But I hope one day there’ll be a degree of understanding about the decisions I wanted to make around my own life.

ā€œIt hurts because of how much I’ve put into the club over the course of 20 years and the sacrifices I made for the club during that period. So of course it hurts, but I understand the disappointment. I even understand anger expressed through booing.

ā€œGoing back to Liverpool after everything that’s happened it was on my mind. If I’m honest, if something affects me and upsets me, it shows in my family as well. They are in it with me…we’re together.ā€

2 Likes

nah feck him, he made his bed. he can lie in it.

4 Likes

Be nice. He’s coming back on loan next summer :see_no_evil_monkey:

Btw as expected he’s on bench for their first league match.

1 Like

Zzzzzzzzz..zzzzzzzzzz…zzzzzzzzzz…

Please stop with the self pity. Exactly what sacrifices has Trent made? He’s never actually done a days work in his life and has been very well rewarded for playing football. I believe he’s a multi millionaire now, so I’m not buying all this ā€˜woe is me’ nonsense.

4 Likes

In any case, since leaving here, he’s managed to sit on the bench under three different managers. What a waste; I’m afraid he’ll end up like Coutinho.

2 Likes

When i saw this thread bumped i thought he won ballon d’or

6 Likes

I thought he might have played for once.

I had a tear in my eye reading this…

Honestly, TAA is great only because he played for us. Or specifically he played for a manager who found a way to play him the way we did and a midfield that could accommodate him and cover him. Reality is he was never robust enough as a full time defender nor athletic enough with enough stamina and focus to be a full time midfielder. His stats with us on what he is good at is out of this world, but I would struggle to see him replicate any of that in any other team.

4 Likes

I get that there is a certain amount of schadenfreude about seeing him at Madrid, but all I can really think is what an absolute tragedy to see someone throw away their career like this. It says a certain amount about the need, no matter how successful you might be, to surround yourself with people who can keep you grounded and humble.

The idea he was going to going to Madrid and win the Balon d’Or. Did he have nobody in his life to tell him to stop being so fucking daft?

12 Likes

I always thought that the fact that the Neville brothers’ contracts were handled by their father must have kept them grounded, but then Trent’s agent is his brother. Agents are really only concerned by financial incentives, not player welfare.

4 Likes

I don’t mind him leaving to Madrid. He clearly wanted to play football with his best mate.

Whatever he does in his career from now on is strictly upto him.

I’d blame his brother. As his agent , he needed to be wise enough to recognise that Trent would only get accomodated in a club like Liverpool which made him their main playmaker.

2 Likes

He could have ended up a PL or CL lifting captain at Liverpool. All thrown away so he can say he sat on the bench in Madrid.

The most ridiculous thing is thinking that if Madrid have the kind of season where one of their lads could win the Balon d’Or they’d give it to the right back rather that Mbappe, Vini or Bellingham.

Objectively, he’d have more chance winning the Balon d’Or at Liverpool.

5 Likes

Absolutely. Even lil Mickey was able to win it with us :rofl:

Critically a brother trying to parlay his success managing Trent’s career into an agent empire. Beyond the money he could make on Trent he was incentivized to push him to pursue that move as a way to market his own credentials. Huge conflicts of interest there.

But let’s not use this struggle to rewrite history or downplay his quality. He was a marvelous player for us because he is a marvelous player. The fact he played for a guy who found a way to let him express it and brought it out of him doesn’t diminish that. It is just what football is at this level.

14 Likes