Ex-player: Xabi Alonso

No F eithier.

Not Welsh as there is no L

so he’s slipping?

2 Likes

English subtitles can be switched on.

@Livvy @Maria

2 Likes

I have been learning German on and off since flipping Covid. I am still at A1 level! :ok_woman:t4:
I need German subtitles :grinning:

Vielen dank @GermanRed :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s fascinating to read the early posts in this thread, and to see the videos posted. The video showing him involved in training is impressive.

My god, the video I didnt know that I needed until I knew it existed :heart_eyes:

1 Like

If Xabi takes the Liverpool job, won’t he need a refresher course in Scouse :grinning:?

1 Like

This was a month before Klopp announced his exit. Interestingly, the story it was responding to was one that popped after Klopp had told those at the club of his plans. I wonder if there is any connection to why the "what are Xabi’s plan story would have popped up so soon after that decision was made internally?

If Xabi comes home I want Plettenberg to be put on the blocked sources list. Thanks.

Isn’t Plettenberg someone who just uncritically repeats whatever the hierarchy at Bayern tell him?

1 Like

Was it he who was adamant that Graverberch wasn’t leaving?

Balague:

My take on Xabi Alonso’s future

Xabi Alonso is determined to choose his future in the next 3-4 weeks. Nothing is decided yet, nothing at all.

First, four big games ahead to be played (Hoffenheim in the league, semis of the cup against Dusserldorf, Union Berlin in the league, quarters of the EL vs West Ham). Then the idea is to take the decision about his future after those results.

The pros and cons of every team that is interested in him have been considered, and he will take the next step that “he feels” is the right one (a mixture of intuition, logic and consideration of family).

Leverkusen: why stay when you have maximised the potential, but their confidence in him has a weight.

Liverpool: hard to follow up Klopp but the squad is strong. Although, can Liverpool step up from where it is now?

Bayern: perfect move as the team has dropped a level or two, but how can you go from being a BL legend to go to Bayern, and how can you fight for the league with the team you are moving to?

Real Madrid: if City KO Madrid in the CL and they lose a couple of games in the league, Ancelotti might not continue, but too many ifs as they are clear favourite to win LaLiga at least.

What a position to be in when he is only 42 and will have the chance to manage those teams in different times during his coaching career.

It is just a matter of choosing the right time for all of them.

Err, yes :person_shrugging:t4:

Isn’t that what he’d be getting brought in to do?with an already strong squad.Some of these lads talk utter shite at times.

1 Like

Liverpool have the strongest team of them all. Madrid might be up there but they aren’t as balanced as us.

I don’t think that the primary goal for a new manager would be necessarily to improve us from where we are right now, rather to maximise what is already available, and help our talented young players to develop themselves further. The cheating nation-owned clubs won’t disappear overnight, and it will thus remain extremely hard to win the league for instance. The corrupt refs won’t disappear either, unfortunately so.

In fairness, to already maintain us at our current level of consistency in terms of performances and results would be a fantastic achievement for anyone coming in. We tend to forget just how exceptional our time with Kloppo has been, and still is.

But from Xabi’s point of view, LFC still has to be an incredibly attractive prospect. He knows the fanbase, and also has seen how it goes with the owners. He’ll be afforded the necessary time to bed in and bring through his ideas, and will be able to start his tenure from a stable platform. A luxury which he won’t have at Bayern or at Madrid. At 42, he has all the time in the world to go there later.

From a timing perspective, for him, LFC next summer has to be the best bet imo.

1 Like

There’s always the possibility that Xabi (or any other potential future manager) might look at the cheating clubs and corrupt officials and decide that it isn’t worth the hassle.

2 Likes

Indeed. But the perspective of beating them despite of these negative odds must be appealing for a true competitor. Klopp did it, he can do it too! :wink:

2 Likes