Expectations for the season

I’ve got an idea. Let’s all piss our fucking knickers and completely forget how immense this team has been for two years.

6 Likes

But

4 Likes

My new year resolution of cutting down on the swearing has gone right out of the fucking window,more fucking swearing greatly expected.

7 Likes

That’s great, not saying they haven’t I just don’t expect with the injuries we have to do anything as I’ve said maybe with Jota back maybe we can do something in the CL but I can’t see how we can sustain anything with that back line, remember the bad run all stems from that second half. It wasn’t amazing against WBA but up to that point it wasn’t concerning.

There is blind optimism and there is realism and this is a thread about expectations for this season and I just can’t see much going for us with a back line of youngsters or midfielders.

4 Likes

I go back to this.

We are playing as badly as I’ve seen us play for three years. We are top.

Utd are in their best run of form for three years. They are second.

Everyone is having an uneven season. If this season was in anyway normal, and we were as shit as some of you seem to be saying, we’d be out of it already. Let’s not forget that it really looked that Solskjaer was going to be sacked a few weeks ago. That’s how quickly it’s changing.

All we can do is to see how it unfolds. I predict we’ll hit some form again soon, or rather the front three will. And then the results will follow.

For all the focus on Centre Backs, we have conceded 6 goals in our last ten games (and of those one of those was a pen that shouldn’t have been given, another was in a dead rubber playing two kids at the back, another looked offside, and another came of Mo getting pushed over outside the box). There is nothing wrong with the defence, despite the injuries. That is a solid defensive record. You’d take six goals in ten games all day.

The problem is that we can’t buy a goal at the minute, and I trust that Klopp and Ljinders are too diligent, and our front three are too good for that to persist.

7 Likes

Put a pound into the swear jar every time.

We’ll be able to buy a new centre half/pay off the officials* in no time.

• delete as applicable.
5 Likes

If we beat utd expectations will rise but lose and we are doomed, i say DOOMED.

2 Likes

Well playing like this no expectation. For me not rocket science. Dodgy defence breads fear and concern in the team. Confidence is lost. That’s where we are. Liverpool pre VVD. Inconsistent. Frustrating.

Buy a bloody good CB,

2 Likes

We also lost our by far best defensive midfielder in Fabinho. So good in shielding the CBs.

Maybe it would be better to play Rhys and Nat at the back and Fabinho in front of them.

3 Likes

I would have played a CB. Now they know they are not trusted.

We are what we where. Buy a CB. Get the VVD effect.

Or in a month this is over for us.

Oh but that’s ok if we do. City win is ok. Klopp I love.

1 Like

This is how I feel as well - though some would say I’m at the “pessimistic” end of the scale. :slight_smile: The truth is, Klopp has been dealt a rotten hand this season and there is no football manager who would be able to deal with it properly. Right before the Everton match, the team looked like they would walk the league. Fast forward two hours, the team has lost two world class players, one for the entire season. Fast forward a month, the team has lost almost literally half of the squad to injuries. For the past three months, there hasn’t been a single week in which Liverpool haven’t had at least four players out injured.

It’s only normal that they look knackered and I genuinely don’t see how they can recover from that in time to mount a proper title challenge. It’s not a knee-jerk reaction to three games without a win, I think these games serve as a confirmation that fatigue has got the better of them. All three last opponents found it relatively easy to keep Liverpool at bay (with some rather fishy officiating, I have to say), to push the players out wide and let them incessantly cross the ball to no one. That’s what fatigue does, it limits creativity, it slows down the decision making.

I’m dreading the fact that in less than two weeks, it is very likely that this team will be six points behind Man United but if it’s the price to pay for a successful 2021/22, then so be it. Regardless of the table that really doesn’t make for a pleasant reading (let alone Man United overtaking Liverpool, if Everton win their game in hand, they’ll be just a point behind), I’ve resized my expectations to a top four finish and hope Man United or Tottenham won’t win the title, that would do it for me this wretched season. And obviously, all Liverpool players successfully returning from their injuries in time to have a proper go next season.

6 Likes

No new CB no trophies its as simple as that. I have a feeling this season just fizzles out if we dont bring anyone in.
You can fudge your way through a few games with one makeshift CBs but not over a season with 2. In the big games we will be found especially if the front 3 are misfiring - puts huge pressure on the makeshift CBs to be perfect.

3 Likes

The FA, PL or whoever appoints the ref’s and VAR will make sure we don’t beat them.

5 Likes

No CBs hurting us, no Jota hurting us, all very predictable sadly. Add injuries and fatigue and we are where we are.
It really feels like throwing in the towel if we don’t get a defender in. The reason might be that there’s no money, but the conclusion is the same nonetheless. In that case I’d forget about the title and start worrying about securing a top4 spot.
As for Jota, not taking pleasure to say this, but this is exactly what I feared, although not this bad. Dropped points in 4 out of 6 games since he got injured in that stupid game. So we have a gigantic hole in defence, we are losing midfielders to play them in defence, and attack is blunt but they can’t be subbed as we are again in a position where Jurgen doesn’t fancy his attacking subs.

We’ll see where we are at the end of the month, but if things don’t change quickly I think the best we can do is damage limitation and start thinking about the summer.

2 Likes

Time to firmly review the level of expectations on here. There is only so much a manager, even one of Klopp’s quality, can do when Lady Luck quits the ship.

Obviously, luck uses to come back if the hard grafting is being done in the first place. That’s why I expect Klopp to take out the whip now, and beat some real working ethic back into the team. The recent results are a wake-up call for all the remaining fit players. They need not to give 99%, but 120, and to be focused entirely during every second a game lasts. Every second of every game.

If they don’t do that, we’ll get more results like the one we got yesterday. Quality is one thing, and we know that the players have it in spades, but some of them look like they think they can turn up and will win whatever they do.

I also think that the squad has maybe become a victim of some now-empty slogans. For instance ‘Mentality Monsters’, ‘World Champions’, ‘World-class’. Forget it, all these words mean nothing right now.

The players need to rediscover that their main strength lies in the collective, in hard work for each other, and in 100% dedication to the team, and 100% concentration. Otherwise, they’ll continue to get punished like they were yesterday.

As Mascot said above, I’m not sure that the real issue lies in our current plight regarding the center-back positions. Hendo and Fabinho can do a good job if and when required. The more annoying thing is that the backline has had to be reshuffled from one match to the next since the Everton game. The early goal yesterday was a direct result of a backline which had never worked together before. After that, they weren’t that bad to be fair.

So, whomever Klopp elects to play there, he needs to stick with it. Consistency. Without that, you don’t get any winning run.

As for the attacking players, they look horribly stale for the time being, but that will change again. The hardest of grafting is now required on the training pitch, and I’m quite sure that Klopp will make sure that this happens now. For the best or the worst, we’ll see. The players will suffer.

3 Likes

Don’t think so, that early goal was the result of a ref that does not give a fuck if he is right or wrong as long it goes against Liverpool it’s fine and a sleepyhead who nowadays is more interested in giving the deciding pass and going forward than in proper defending.

2 Likes

Absolutely sickening the way you lot are throwing in the towel. Moaning that the mentality monsters are over, without having a look in the mirror.

12 Likes

Our season so far

WWWWLVillaDWWWWWDWLDWWDDWWDDL

We have clearly tailed-off since early December (Yeah, Midtjylland, but please don’t whine about Jota anymore). What surprises (or concerns) me about this period is the fact that we didn’t suffer any significant injury (VVD, Gomez and Thiago were injured long ago), fixtures weren’t too cramped (eight days before WBA, five days before Southampton) and there wasn’t that distraction of International Break.

However, since that game against Palace, we were utterly lethargic. We struggled against teams that crowded their box and we struggled against teams that pressed us. We lacked that energy, that tempo, which made us so fearsome to other teams.

Villa was a fluke (not taking anything away from them); whatever could go wrong, went wrong. But last night was a disaster (or a wake-up call), even Mane was atrocious. I will keep hammering on just one point; we lacked energy, both physical and mental.

However, as I said in a previous post, a good run in January & February will put us in a commanding position to win the league.

5 Likes

The league will find ways to prevent that, the winner of the PL must come from Manchester so much is clear. Just watch who will be the ref and VAR in the United match, it will tell you everything.

4 Likes

Here is one of your mentality monsters:

Looking at Mo in that outfit, ‘Ridiculous clowns’ would probably be a better definition. I tell ya, our bad run of results away from home is all on that outfit. :wink:

2 Likes