Expectations for the season

Newcastle, Southampton and Villa (FA Cup) all away now. We have a poor away record - but there was also the 7 goal thing at Palace.

Expecting 4 points against Newcastle and Saints. Nothing to do with injuries or qualitiy. That’s how it is this season.

None of the players that started today (except Curtis) should start in the FA Cup but Klopp will probably do a Midyetland there - or think about ‚revenge’ for the league game.

Hopefully on January 17th against ManU we have Matip, Thiago and Diogo ready.

1 Like

Any chance you could stop slagging off the manager over imaginary shit?

As a general rule, the mood/tenor on the forums is totally unbearable lately. This season is full of unprecedented adversity, but it feels like the reaction is to tear the team apart over everything.

10 Likes

Further more, there’s no chance he throws the villa game as the big guns need the games to retain match sharpness

The schedule is pretty thinned out for a bit now… and that makes me nervous.

2 Likes

Damn…

2 Likes

City remain our biggest threat. United have improved but not convinced. Spurs are there or thereabouts but still 6 points behind. Chelsea slipping. Arsenal are nowhere. Leicester, Everton and Villa won’t last the distance.

We’ve dropped some needless points this season but we need to go on a run. Need to win the league this season.

5 Likes

It’s going to be a dog fight all the way. My fear is City. They can get on a roll.

We need to stop leaking goals.

2 Likes

Agree completely.

We’ll be duking this one out with the sheiks until the very last weeks, if not the last week.

This place should be interesting…

2 Likes

As was mentioned previously, Klopp has 2 plans for this season

Plan A: Win the league
Plan B: Win the league the fucking hard way

I bet there will be a few in here shitting the bed between now and Hendo lifting the bastard trophy again in May

2 Likes

To be fair to me I was still shitting a brick when we were 25 points clear last year…

5 Likes

Eh leaking goals.

1 Like

Fixed it for you.

3 Likes

Both Man United and Man City worry me. Then again, I’m always worried but this time, I don’t have much confidence in this Liverpool side because the injuries have taken away so much stability at one end an unpredictability at the other. The fatigue has subsequently crept in and who knows how corona crisis is impacting their psyche, they are human beings after all.

I agree that this defence needs to tighten up but in an aberration of a season like this one, I think that it’s more important to outscore the opponent, rather than nick a goal and keep it tight at the back. After Man City beat Watford 8:0 last season, Klopp said “I’d prefer to win eight games by 1:0 scoreline”, which he subsequently achieved more or less because the defence was impeccable. He’s without his two best centre backs now, so it’s natural that the team will concede more, it’s about turning 1:1s into 2:1s for Liverpool. This is where Jota would have come in handy, maybe he wouldn’t have scored against WBA but I definitely saw him turning the Newcastle draw into a win.

This is the reason why Man United are on a roll, they won games they went behind in, they won three or four games in injury time as well. They have plenty of players who are capable of creating something out of nothing, even Pogba is getting in on the act (they have probably reached an agreement that they would sell him in the summer but that he has to pull himself together until then and help them win the title). We already know what Man City are capable of, so I won’t waste my words on them.

6 Likes

Fixed it for you.

Let’s make one thing clear: the only reason United are not mid-table is that the game is fucking bent.

5 Likes

Nikola being positive as usual. I think we’ve taken for granted that winning a title isn’t generally a team running away with it and being 25 points ahead with their feet up with the fans with serene faces and contented smiles. We’re in a race so might as well accept that there are going to be twists and turns and frustration. There is no magical sense of entitlement to the title that we should be feeling.

3 Likes

Jan 4: Southampton
Jan 8: Villa
Jan 17: United
Jan 21: Burnley
Jan 28: Spurs
Jan 31: WHU
Plus another Cup game if we get past Villa

Feb 3: Brighton
Feb 6: City
Feb13: Leicester
Feb 16: Leipzig
Feb 20: Everton
Feb 27: Sheffield
Plus Cup games if we are still in it

So despite our spluttering form in December, if we manage a good run in those two months, we could be in a commanding position in League as well as be in the running for two other trophies.

VVD and Gomez are long-term absentees but Thiago, Milner, AOC are back and we can expect Jota, Matip, Tsimikas and Keita to return during this timeframe.

1 Like

“Expectations for the rest of the season”

If we don’t bring in a quality centre half, still not great over here in The Hague. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

I don’t have a lot, hopefully we will get Jota back for the CL, literally lost all hope of us staying in the title race.

4 Likes

Dont be down hearted yet,still on top

3 Likes

To me those games are bankers for the other so I’m already looking at 3rd, I would be hopeful of beating Man Utd but we just don’t look at all at it.

1 Like

No chance the FA will make sure of that by appointing Atkinson as the referee and Taylor at the VAR.

1 Like