Expectations for the season

Because as the sun rises (well, for me at least!) we’re still tied on points at the very top of the league before a home game against our closest competitor to allow us to go clear at the top. Optimism is exactly right. It’s still entirely in our hands.

When have we ever done things the easy way?

2 Likes

I’m still optimistic that we can win the league, although I wouldn’t say I fully expect us to do so now. If we’d had the same luck with injuries that Chelsea or Tottenham have had so far I think we’d have absolutely pissed it. Look at Chelsea, when they miss just one or two key players they are pretty poor.

But I’d be lying to say it isn’t disheartening to see the greatest Liverpool side of my lifetime playing like we currently are. Klopp’s built a mammoth side and it’s just rank bad luck that has cut it down this season. I can’t see us building any kind of a gap soon. Too many games, too many injuries, too little time.

Let’s be honest, the standard of football this season is shit. It’s shit in England, shit in Germany, shit in Spain. Probably shit in France, who knows, nobody watches it. As far as I’m concerned the sooner this season is over the better.

7 Likes

Literally no-one might be watching it soon enough , and most of their clubs could be in severe financial straits.

2 Likes

Few decent players in France, non PSG, for the cherry picking?

1 Like

Couldn’t hurt.

Let’s get some CB cover.

Oh…and my expectations are…I will be very very disappointed if we don’t win the PL, CL and FA Cup treble, but I think I’ve said that before.

Only gonna get worse, too, I’d imagine.

But then I would expect it/us to lift in the spring as the injury list shrinks, as the weather gets a bit nicer, and as the finish line comes into sight.

1 Like

Wow, surprised at you mate, and I came in here to say (maybe of the back of last nights tour de force) I really do think we are going to streak the season; if we can just get through Christmas and New Year without picking up further injuries, have players coming back, I think we will start to build some sky between the rest of the league. Like you say football is shit everywhere, but we are not!

2 Likes

Yeah, I wouldn’t put it past us. If we manage to beat Palace and a few other results go our way then the table would look incredibly more favourable in the space of 72 hours from that post. But this season, I don’t expect that.

For me though it’s not really about that, I’ve had about enough empty stadiums and enough farcical VAR interventions to last me a season, not to mention the ridiculous amount of injuries we’ve had. It’s hard to remain enthusiastic about the game when the officials are intent on sucking all the joy out of it. The fans being back at Anfield is great and I definitely find it more enjoyable to watch but I doubt it’ll last too long so I’ll just try to enjoy it whilst it’s here.

3 Likes

Oh yes, I hadnt considered it from your precise angle; you actually have had the luxury of going to most games. So did you post that before Sours, Im guessing it was? Id have to admit being totally fckd off by VAR, especially in the stadium, it must seem so much more intense.

3 Likes

Can’t see Palace giving us too much twouble.

3 Likes

I don’t go to most games (I did, before we got good and people started wanting their ticket back :roll_eyes:) but it is something I miss. But even watching it at home it’s still a better spectacle with the fans in.

Yeah, posted before Spurs. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely loved what I saw last night. Bobby’s celebration was the tonic and probably my favourite moment of the season so far.

3 Likes

Happy six months since we won the League day. :santa: Realistically we were going to win it anyway but I remember waking up that morning going to work being utterly convinced City would win, 2-1, but in my heart of hearts I hoped for a 0-0. The game was during my workday, and when Chelsea went 1-0 up I started dreaming but had to be like “no, no, can’t do that,” and then De Bruyne equalized. At that point, was pretty sure City would win it, but then the penalty and red card happened and at 2-1 I was like “yep, it’s coming home.” Had to go take a walk around the office, but made a point to get back and stream the last minute of stoppage time on my phone. Final whistle, an almost out-of-body experience for a couple of seconds, then it hit me like a ton of bricks. YNWA :red_circle:

4 Likes

If we go into the new year with Fabinho and Biscuits Joel at the back then we will finish empty handed. Matip is quality for the 1 game he plays every 6 or 8 weeks between injury. The same can be said of keita but at least we have plenty of options there.
We have to buy a centre back in January because Williams is very raw and does not have the pace needed to play at this level.

5 Likes

We’re winning this league. We going to drop silly points along the way, but not as many as everyone else.

6 Likes

Huge caveat for me is a CB coming in Jan, if not I dont see us winning it to be honest; its already hard enough looking at the points dropped to the likes of WBA.

4 Likes

To win the league we need a CB in January and a pretty decent one.

3 Likes

Hopefully we’ll be Champions by matchday 36 already because we clearly won’t beat WBA away. Sam has Klopps number.

2 Likes

We are first having dealt with an incredulous list of injuries. We have Tiago and Jota to come back and despite everyone panicking about Rhys Williams, he has exceeded expectations. We just need a little bit of luck and more consistency.

The only thing he has the number of is his local pie shop.

4 Likes

:pie:

1 Like