Expectations for the season

I’m sticking with my prediction, league champions, low 80s for points.

The point total is very much secondary to the champion thing, but it’s a war of attrition, and for various reasons we are getting dragged back to the upper pack.

Still, I expect us to do enough and win that title, even with all the unfortunate circumstances we are battling. And in many ways, if we do, it will be a bigger achievement than the massive points haul title.

1 Like

It annoys me the commentators/pundits banging on about how this season is like no other, then pour scorn on the 5 substitute proposal, even though the EPL is the only major league operating on a 3 sub basis.
Covid and VAR has made the game so much less fun, no fans (until recently), over analysing of every incident and the Offside rule is a joke - another conversation.
So my expectations for the season… well the league is definitely going to be a lot tighter, since the lockdown we have looked a shade of ourselves. Before we looked invincible, strutted at times, now we look at times nervy and almost rushed.
Its strange because we bullied Chelsea, Arsenal, Leicester and Wolves, should have beat Everton but then draw/struggle with Sheff Utd., Brighton, Fulham and West Ham.
Spurs on Weds is a massive game, a win would knock them off their stride because at present, IMO they are the most consistent side (I hate myself for saying that).

To answer the Topics question, if we beat Spurs I expect us to win the league. As a unit we have done incredibly well, especially with the set backs. The youngsters have stepped up and altho performances have not been perfect we are joint top of the league. I hope the CL break will allow the team to focus domestically and regroup as a squad, availability wise.
Fa Cup, I predict we will go out 3rd round against Villa. I just expect both teams to have different approaches to the game with us using a young/squad player approach.
CL, the sooner fans (in numbers) are allowed back into grounds the better. I predict a Lazio or Sevilla draw, altho It would be nice to draw Monchengladbach due to the ties between the clubs.

PL - 1st/2nd
League Cup - Out
FA Cup - 3rd Round
CL - Semi Final minimal

To conclude, although there have been a few results that have been completely frustrating, we have done well with a squad disrupted by numerous niggles/injuries. The fact we are joint top of league/qualified for next round of CL is commendable considering the disruption to our squad.

4 Likes

The ~100 points to win the league was an anomaly, as City were thrashing every team in the league and we had to match them and win every game to have a chance of winning the league ourselves. This season is different. None of the teams look ruthless or on course to amassing that sort of points. If it wasn’t for injuries, ideally we might have ran away with the league yet again, because despite much lesser injury problems, none of the teams have put a daylight between themselves and us.

If we are in the mix by Feb, we should have much better luck with the injuries with some key players back and we will be able to put on a run which should be enough.

7 Likes

At this point we are joint top and went through top of our CL group despite having the absolute worst injury crises I have even seen at Liverpool since I started supporting the Club and probably the worst I have seen at any club. We have had our entire back 5 missing, some of our available midfielders and Salah having time out. Everyone, including our own fans and many on here, expected us to implode after VVD got laid off and it didn’t happen. Thiago didn’t come back, Gomez got injured long term, Trent got crocked, Fabinho did, Matip did, Alisson did, Henderson did… Fucking hell, the list of players that have not been injured would be easier to list.

Yet, we have plodded on. The results have not always been outstanding and neither have the performances but the expectation that we would drop like a stone have not happened and those that are expecting us to have 30+ points at this stage are also out of proportion and it very much seems to be a case of doom and gloom while also expecting us to be running away with things. We have been affected by injury but its a testament to the quality of the squad and management that we still are where we are yet when people are expecting us to fall while also expecting us to win, often in the same breath, it’s pretty darn frustrating.

8 Likes

People are banging on about how injuries affect all teams, and that is true to a degree, but check this link here, and you’ll rapidly see that no other club has been that much affected by injuries. Man City and Tottenham for instance have almost a clear desk now.

In my opinion, that is because we got off to a bad start. VVD’s and Thiago’s long-term injuries immediately put pressure on our central defence and our midfield, which in turn led to more injuries in those areas of the pitch, because some players had to be overplayed. And due to the insane schedule until now, there is simply no time of regroupment possible.

And this will continue. Luckily, we are out of the League cup, so that will open up a window or two, but otherwise, the schedule will remain horribly tight throughout.

So, my expectations are that we will continue to struggle and suffer many more injuries until the end of this abnormal season. I’m already surprised that we’ve managed to stay in touch with the top of the league. That is due to how well the youngsters and some fringe players have done until now. Also due to Jota having a dream-start with us (well, that is over now, we are running on fumes upfront, everything hinges on our standard front three remaining fit, but they can’t play every game, and there is simply no credible back-up for them anymore).

So, if we don’t make any move during the January period, I expect us to fade a bit compared to until now. You can’t expect from youngsters to maintain a high level of consistency. We are currently on course for 79 points, so I’d expect us to reach around 75 points.

Of course, getting one or two players in during January could help on the injury front, but I don’t expect it at all. We know by now how the club works, and quick-shot January moves aren’t a part of the agenda.

So, expectations-wise, I expect 75 points. No idea what place that will allow us to reach. Going by previous seasons, that would allow us to reach third place, but this isn’t a normal season at all, so we’ll see.

Of course, I’m hoping for much more than that, given the exceptional mental level of this squad, but it would be unfair to expect it from them. Winning the league, or even more so Big Ears, would be a miracle given our plight in terms of injuries.

4 Likes

Winning the league remains the bare minimum despite the injuries and form so far. 90 points should be enough. Second top at the moment behind by goal difference.

Too many dropped points so far with losses and or draws against Aston Villa, Everton, Brighton and Fulham which all stand out. Need to start going on a run of wins, collecting a run of away wins while maintaining the form at home.

Next 7 league games we’ve got 4 at home and 3 away. Need to start bridging a gap at the top.

Tottenham Hotspur (H) Wed 16th 20:00
Crystal Palace (A) Sat 19th 12:30
West Bromwich Albion (H) Sun 27th 16:30
Newcastle United (A) Wed 30th 20:00
Southampton (A) Sat 2nd 15:00
Aston Villa (A) (FA Cup) Fri 8th 19:45
Burnley (H) Wed 13th 20:00
Manchester United (H) Sat 16th 15:00

2 Likes

If we do win the league this season I hope no one regards it as the bare minimum achieved. It would be nothing short of a miracle given the injuries we have. If there’s one manager who can pull it off then it’s JK, but let’s not take it for granted.

15 Likes

Winning the league or the CL? Don’t think it will happen, too many injuries, so far we are doing oke but the fact some are playing all the time will bite us in the coming months.

1 Like

I say this every year but I do still very much value the FA Cup. I think it’s a nice trophy to win. Obviously not in the same class or sophistication of winning CL or PL but IMO still a nice trophy to have in the cabinet.

Even with injuries IMO we have the squad to make a run.

6 Likes

Bridging a gap what gap is that don’t you mean building a gap.

1 Like

Indeed. Build a gap. Build a lead.

1 Like

If I’m being honest I can not see us beat Spurs and Palace this week. Hope to be wrong on this but once again we have the Wednesday Night - Saturday early kickoff thing + injuries

1 Like

Can we get permission from the FA for our squad to wear these going forward?

2 Likes

How about this?

I think we’ll get past Spurs, but in all honesty I think we’ll struggle at Palace. 12.30ko. No rest, no time.

2 Likes

Palace are playing at 20:00 today too, so they’re in exactly the same situation.

5 Likes

The difference and concern here is that we had 5 full days rest and drew with a fucking Scotty Parker team…

3 Likes

Yes, all clubs are going to be affected by this one way or the other this season. No different for Palace and we just have to get on with it now. I understand that the injury situation is getting JK down but I’ve rarely heard him so negative this season and there’s a chance it can affect the teams mindset. The season is going to be one long fucking grind. For us and for every team. Luck’s going to play a big part in who comes out on top but having the right mentality is likely to be the most crucial thing.

4 Likes

I’d settle for four points , with the three coming at the expense of Spurs.

2 Likes

i still optomistic…

in a way its creating a bond like no other ive seen…players in it together, players doing it for injured teamates, players wanting to prove a point…imagine the bounce as they start coming back…

i know VVD and Gomez probably wont see significant action…but take, say, trent for instance…its like hes getting a month off mentally, and the fire in his belly must be raging…ox…thiago…Jota would be absolutely foaming at the mouth to keep playing…

i dont know why, but im no where near as downbeat as i should be…

4 Likes