Expectations for the season

They are linked. Very much so.

It’s the disruptions at centre back that have interrupted our game

1 Like

Hmm.

Then perhaps it’s the other way round.

Misfiring forwards are disrupting our defense.

Winning starts with a proper goalkeeper and excellent defenders. Now we have two top-class midfielders doing an oké job as CB but who are missed in midfield. Our forwards don’t score that much that is true but these things happen with forwards, they go true dry spells it is the nature of their game.

Get a proper CB and get Henderson back at midfield together with Thiago and Wijnaldum, it will make a big difference.

Unfortunately, that will not happen according to Klopp there is no money or perhaps FSG are not willing to invest the money I don’t know but we will not win anything with the team looking like this. I have serious doubts if we can beat Villa and Leipzig let alone the teams that come after them if we manage to beat those two. After Sunday 17th of January, I would not be surprised if we are 6 points behind United.

A season down the drain for a team when in normal strength is one of the best in the world due to thugs, match officials and COVID, what a pity.

1 Like

Not having a go at you personally here, but more making a general point.

Why is this acceptable? The line “all forwards go through a dry spell” is constantly spouted in the media; how come forwards are given more leeway than defenders or goalkeepers? :thinking:

1 Like

Because it is easier to defend then scoring a goal. Circumstances are much more difficult for a forward.

Example, a high ball can be headed away by a defender surrounded by forwards, where it goes, as long it is not in his own goal is less important, the defender has done its job but a forward has to head at goal with the right speed, beating a goalkeeper, it’s more difficult that’s why it is IMO more acceptable.

1 Like

We have to beat the top 5-6 team, and the rest will follow.
This will be hard work. But…

Y.N.W.A

2 Likes

I love moments like these.

We made life difficult for ourselves at the moment, but nothing is lost and the battle is on for each point. I hope most of us are aware of this now. We were not world beaters a few weeks ago, we’re certainly not crap now. Still a high quality team.

It’s been a while since I really couldn’t wait for a game against United. This is when it really matters.

Put all we have on a pile, stick together and let’s bloody show them.

12 Likes

They are, and not having Fabinho in midfield certainly is problematic for the balance of the team. Still, it seems our forwards have been exceptionally profligate in finishing the (admittedly few) chances that have been created.

1 Like

We have

• ManU on Sunday

• Burnley on Thursday

• ManU on Sunday or Monday in the FA Cup

• Spurs on Thursday. They can rest key players in the FA Cup against Wycombe.

1 Like

I don’t think we can realistically fight on multiple fronts this season so, let’s prioritise the league. Rest/rotate players in the FA cup as necessary.

2 Likes

I’m always pessimistic before United at home games…I always feel like they are liable to get a jammy win, and I would be completely unsurprised if that were to happen. That said, I had that feeling before the last two Anfield meetings with them…and they both turned out OK! :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

We play United away this Sunday and in the FA cup too.

2 Likes

We are at home against the scum this Sunday, then away at the toilet bowl in the Cup.

2 Likes

My bad, you are right. Somehow I thought we played at OT, silly me.

1 Like

If we can use Milner, Keita (I know, I know :roll_eyes:), AOC, Shaqiri and Takumi properly; I don’t see having too much problem during this run. Yeah, the CB will remain but I guess we should learn to live with that.

Result and performance were expectable. No need to think about it for too long. We‘ll face them again next week and there will be a winner.

Need to kickstart our season against Burnley on Thursday.

3 Likes

For me, we played a bit better than in the last few games. United played worse than I expected, I wouldn’t be that happy with their performance today from their perspective. Sure, we need more improvement in the final 3rd and some better defending in moments, that’s understandable due to what we have to play at the back. Plus, they did have the chance of the game.

There will be no massive reset, that is just fan’s imagination, if we could do that in reality, we would. We were not world beaters when we put 7 past Palace, we’re certainly not as bad at the moment. People got too comfortable with our last few years and now having a battle on our hands, something which was always highly likely in a crazy year like this, suddenly feels like a shock? Not to me.

4 Likes

i think the biggest issue is that the pathway seemed pretty clear for us this year…City need a reset, the fact they probably go onto win this thing in the middle of a rebuild is very deflating.

if you look at where we were on Chrimbo day, it had opened up very nicely for us…

we are at the very top of the cycle…we can point to VVD and Gomez, but the fact we are - by the looks of it- doing nothing about it speaks volumes.

1 Like

I don’t have any expectations about anything the way things are going at the moment, but I just hope we can qualify for the CL again. Anything else would be a bonus with our injury issues.

4 Likes

The winner always qualifies for the next year’s competition.

2 Likes