Expectations for the season

I have no expectations at all and I’m not really sure I care about getting top 4. The CL is another fucking shitshow and will be again next season. No crowds, or very limited crowds, and all this nonsense about playing in neutral stadiums, what’s the point?
Money is the point of course. But I’m not buying into the argument that lack of CL money will impact recruitment or force our best players to look elsewhere. We have a brilliant squad when everyone is fit and a first 11 to match any team in Europe. A few will leave, Gini almost certainly and I’d look to offload Origi and Oxlade-Chamberlain but apart from a replacement for Gini I don’t really see the need to buy. Get Elliott, Wilson, Minamino and Grujic (?) back in the squad and give them the cup games. The key is to keep everyone fit.
I don’t think anyone will be looking to jump ship if we miss out on top 4. Now just isn’t the time. Europe is a mess right now and if anything we could be looking at a loosening of restrictions and some normality returning far sooner than on the continent. I think our players have more about them than that especially considering the shite we’ve had to endure this season, I like to think there’ll be a determination to settle scores next season.
If we miss out on CL I’d rather miss out on European football altogether. If we end up in the Europa we have the players to field a pretty strong team without risking any of the big names. I’m pretty much past caring, it’s a load of shite right now and I’d be perfectly happy to swerve the lot.

4 Likes

If so, we should consider buying Declan Rice (West Ham is not a CL club), Tarkowski. If we qualify, go for the likes of Harvey Barnes or Maddison. If a miracle occurs and we win CL, go for Sancho and Haaland.

Wilson, Grujic, Origi, Ox, Minamino, and even Keita, must go. I am also advocating for selling Firmino, he is already 29 and has been declining for a while.

I am more scared for the champions league. Majority of the times our champions league ties have been all about famous nights and atmosphere created by fans at Anfield. These games will be dead as an atmosphere equally without fans :frowning:
The only thing is that if things go south in the champions league tie, there will no fans to rouse them up and get going , especially the way we are already performing.

Unfortunately, I think that’ll turn out to be true. Even so, I still feel that we’ll finish in the top four but I think Jurgen will have to change the way we play. The 4-3-3 has become too predictable. That’ll probably mean dropping either Firmino or Mane, despite Bobby’s amazing assist yesterday.

Obviously it’s essential that we qualify. No CL = no Mbappe!

Edit: I was referring to the previous post.

2 Likes

love that bit of optimism, that we are still pursuing Mbappe :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

My expectations are always the same, at any point of time. Win, whatever is there to be won.

7 Likes

My expectation is the team battle to get a CL spot.
Achieve this, I would consider it a good season due to the circumstances.

The priority for next season should be to have a stable defence where we don’t have to play our best midfielders back there. Being able to have Fabinho and Henderson regularly playing in midfield again I believe will solve some of the problems.

Edwards needs to wheel and deal to get two good CBs in. Gomez and Matip we cannot be relying on going into next season, we are only asking for a repeat. VVD, first choice defender, two new defenders and Davies as a fourth or fifth choice. Matip is crocked and is only going to get worse. Gomez is one of my favourite Liverpool players but l fear he is not going to be the same again or not going to be able to be relied on to stay fit.

I really could see us been rejuvenated again next season with a stable back line.

3 Likes

Gomez is the one I’m worried about. Third series knee injury, and possibly the worst one yet.

On Matip, I would be surprised if it comes out he’s been playing injured, and that why he’s in and out. I think with proper recovery and a pre-season, he might be a bit better.

2 Likes

Genuine question…if, and massive IF, our boys don’t make top 4 and miss out on CL, how would you feel about EL football for next season?

1 Like

It’s possible we could miss out on that also, but if we end up in the EL we just have to get on with it and try and win it.

7 Likes

I don’t mind at all. We won the league last year and Champions League the year before . I would rather the manager and the lads have a rest and recuperate physically and mentally and they can regroup in preparation for next season. We will have the support back in the the stadium.

4 Likes

I agree @maria. If we don’t make CL I’d be perfectly happy with EL football for next season.

EDIT: sorry, misread your post. I can see that perspective too. Give the boys chance to regroup, recharge and refocus.

2 Likes

I would be disappointed. From where we have been, to EL football, would feel like a big step down, and we would be flying to the arse end of beyond to play Kazhakstan’s finest, so not really a rest either.

Still, whatever you get, you get, so if that’s our lot, you have to get on with it.

2 Likes

It all depends on if there are crowds next year

If there are proper crowds and football returns to normal I would be bitterly disappointed.

If it’s a mirror of this season, the only reason I care is the money.

2 Likes

I don’t care for EL… But it would be an easy trophy for us. If the players actually care to try to win it.

1 Like
  • Playing Thursdays, and thus experiencing all the difficulties going with it during the whole of next season.
  • Dramatic loss of financial revenue in an already difficult environment.
  • Loss of status within the European game.
  • Far less attractiveness for potential top transfer prospects.

How would I feel about that? Hmm… :thinking:

2 Likes

Playing Europa League will be, for me, a disappointment but by no means depressing. My overwhelming urge will be to win it.

Yes, the loss of revenue is an issue but if that’s the reality, then we will have to deal with it.

My expectations for next season, though it’s too early at this point, is to go full throttle and try to win whatever there is on the table. We must manage our squad accordingly. Key players must be rested properly and all games must have a strong squad.

Don’t think we will be losing the status rather EL will be gaining some.

If a player (or his god forsaken agent) prioritizes a season in EL over decades of trophy-laden years, we are better off without him. Like Klopp said few years ago, we should be looking for players ready to push the wagon not jump on it.

The past has shown how massively it impacts on a club’s status: finance, reputation, media exposure, attractiveness for sponsors, players etc…

Top players won’t join a club because of some abstract romance, or some vague prospect of trophies in the future. It’s all about the here and now.

There’s no way that players like Salah, VVD, Allisson, Fabinho, Jota or Alcantara would have joined us without the prospect of playing the CL. Had we been out of it, they’d have joined other clubs.

3 Likes

The way of how Gomez got his latest injury is very worrying. I heard that he got that injury suddenly with his knee giving out on their own!

It’s not just that which is a worry.

Some of our top players are coming close to their 30s - if they aren’t getting CL next season and other clubs with CL available come in with offers, they could agitate for moves.

I don’t see that coming from a lot - likely Salah, maybe Mane. If we lose a star like that and drop to EL, then the Mbappes, Sancho’s and Haalands of this world won’t be keen as they not only want to play in the CL,but also want to play with other world class players.

Of course, it’s not all about the £75m+ players - and Klopp/Edwards are a dab hand at working on/with youngsters with potential.

I am still confident that we will finish in the Top 4 however.

4 Likes