Expectations for the season

An average break of 2.75 days between each game within the first 11 days of March, due to the PL changing fixtures to accommodate TV… They really want to fuck over the rest of our healthy players, eh?

1 Like

This is, for me, the key point. Momentum is key. No matter how we end the season, in terms of standing, if we reverse the slump we go into the next season with a spring in our steps, believe in our hearts. On the other hand, if the slump continues, we start the next season with monkeys on the shoulders.

1 Like

I think we play better on a few days rest, we get in a rhythm don’t we, well how can it get any worse…

1 Like

I don’t at all disagree with Carra’a overall point here. Even with injuries there is just far too much talent in our side for this recent slide. Agree or disagree, nothing he said here was egregious or out of line.

4 Likes

Yeah, I agree.

Weird year for all of us - check.
A lot of bad luck with injuries especially for us - check.

Not a disaster if we can’t win or compete for the league. Not a surprise if City go on to win it, they never dropped that much in my books in the first place.

But there are still certain standards I’d expect from us. I hoped we would have enough for a top 4 finish (in a season very likely to be trophyless), I still do, but it’s becoming more complicated and I wonder how much we’ll drop by May.

We’re about 10 points short of the 2 points per game ratio.

For me, no, it’s not the same if we finish 2nd or 4th (of course I’d take 4th right now) and 5th or 10th. And of course that the performances do matter.

5 Likes

Important win today. Champions League qualification still very much in the mix and no reason why we shouldn’t get at least top four. Far from certain but more than achievable.

League games remaining:

Liverpool
Chelsea (H)
Fulham (H)
Wolverhampton Wanderers (A)
Arsenal (A)
Aston Villa (H)
Leeds United (A)
Newcastle United (H)
Manchester United (A)
Southampton (H)
West Bromwich Albion (A)
Burnley (A)
Crystal Palace (H)

Tottenham Hotspur
Fulham (A)
Crystal Palace (H)
Arsenal (A)
Aston Villa (A)
Newcastle United (A)
Manchester United (H)
Everton (A)
Sheffield United (H)
Leeds United (A)
Wolverhampton Wanderers (H)
Aston Villa (H)
Leicester City (A)

Chelsea
Liverpool (A)
Everton (H)
Leeds United (A)
West Bromwich Albion (H)
Crystal Palace (A)
Brighton & Hove Albion (H)
West Ham United (A)
Fulham (H)
Manchester City (A)
Arsenal (H)
Leicester City (H)
Aston Villa (A)

Manchester United
Crystal Palace (A)
Manchester City (A)
West Ham United (H)
Brighton & Hove Albion (H)
Tottenham Hotspur (A)
Burnley (H)
Leeds United (A)
Liverpool (H)
Aston Villa (A)
Leicester City (H)
Fulham (H)

Leicester City
Burnley (A)
Brighton & Hove Albion (A)
Sheffield United (H)
Manchester City (H)
West Ham United (A)
West Bromwich Albion (H)
Crystal Palace (H)
Southampton (A)
Newcastle United (H)
Manchester United (A)
Chelsea (A)
Tottenham Hotspur (H)

Everton
Southampton (H)
West Bromwich Albion (A)
Chelsea (A)
Burnley (H)
Crystal Palace (H)
Tottenham Hotspur (H)
Arsenal (A)
Aston Villa (H)
West Ham United (A)
Sheffield United (H)
Wolverhampton Wanderers (H)
Manchester City (A)

West Ham United
Leeds United (H)
Manchester United (A)
Arsenal (H)
Leicester City (H)
Newcastle United (A)
Chelsea (H)
Burnley (A)
Everton (H)
West Bromwich Albion (A)
Southampton (H)

2 Likes

Started a thread on this as soon as the Chelsea game was re-arranged. Considering it was re-arranged because of their FA Cup commitments it’s us that have ended up with the shitty end of the stick. 3 games in 6 days ending with the Leipzig game which will probably be played abroad. Chelsea will have no such congestion, 3 games in 8 days for them.
It’s all fair and above board though and anyone thinking otherwise is a tin-foil-hat-wearing conspiracy theorist.

2 Likes

Every game is a must win, but Chelsea, Arsenal, Villa and United are six-pointers.

1 Like

no expectations.
this season is a write off with no CL next year.

That’s how I see things. Either I’m pleasantly surprised at the end of the season or I’m disappointed (but not heartbroken)

1 Like

Will we even qualify for the EL?

This season is getting worse and worse…

Most probably no trophies, no CL football, possibly no European football at all (and please let’s stop with this “we don’t need the EL” absolute nonsense, we need anything we can get), so many injuries.

Really difficult summer on our hands, who would’ve guessed that at the start of the season.

2 Likes

We all giving up on CL. Are we fucking mad? There are loads of games left.

We have made it bloody hard for ourselves, but we’re not that far off. And we have by far the easier run in.

1 Like

Not giving up, it’s not up to us anyway.

But as things stand (and our situation with injuries), I’d say it’s more likely it will not happen.

1 Like

When we were trying to win the league or before trying to end up in the Top4 Klopp and some other managers always talk about ‘wait until there are 10 games left and we’ll see where we stand’

We have 11 games left. Wins against Fulham is a must and then away against Wolves same.

Without those 6 points it will be over.

After the Wolves games it’s the international break.

1 Like

The international break is optional according to FIFA, and Klopp has said we would be allowing our players to go. We need to take the chance to bunker down and have a bit of a pre-season.

2 Likes

I know you’re the most optimistic person on this place but we are not winning all 9 league games after the international break.

If we somehow find a form it will be at best 6W 2D 1L.

Those 20 points would take us to 63.

If we still want to talk about a Top4 finish 6 points against Fulham and Wolves are a must.

5 Likes

If some major players were coming back around now, I’d still be optimistic that our lads could go on a winning run and clinch fourth place.

As it stands, and with further injuries still unsettling us and hindering any kind of consistency, the chances are near to zero.

This season is a complete write-off as far as I’m concerned.

4 Likes

Fourth and Champions of Europe.

Hopefully!

Need a big turnaround in the league, but I’m still hoping something switches, and the pack starts to hunt again, chasing that prize. You never know.

As for CL, my comment was tongue in cheek as there are a few teams who are better, this season. However, that competition gives us some respite from the rough and tumble of the Prem, and its shit officiating. We seem to have a bit more focus and joy, so again, you never know.

1 Like

If we think this season is bad in terms of congestion leading to fatigue then next season could be a killer. All the top players will go straight to international tournaments as soon as this season is finished, the Euro’s and the Copa America will swallow up most of our squad. The likes of Bobby, TAA and Robbo are going to come back fucking exhausted, they’re running on fumes as it is.
The WC qualifiers start again in September, no doubt with a friendly thrown in for good measure, and that continues throughout the season.
Something has to give, it’s just not sustainable.
If we miss out on CL then I honestly don’t think missing out on European football altogether would be a bad thing in the long run.
The last time we had no European football we reached the European Cup final in the next 2 seasons. Not saying that was the sole reason why but having a light season next year might be exactly what we need.

2 Likes

Most of the teams we are in competition for the top four have to play each other. We have a very kind run comparatively.

Of course, we have to find form really quickly and we need the forwards to click. The odds are against us. But nothing is decided yet.

1 Like

Everton are nailed on imo. They have been absolute dogshit all season but due to insane good fortune find themselves right in the mix. They’ve had virtually no injuries and always seem to be playing teams who are missing several key players.
They have the likes of Burnley, Palace, Wolves and Sheff Utd at home - Sheffield will be down by the time they play them - and will play City away when the title is in the bag and City will probably be preparing for a CL final.
This season has been relentlessly shite for us and I can see it being relentlessly shite for us right up to the last whistle.

1 Like