Expectations for the season

The problem for Rafa was beyond his first 11 his squad was absolutely shit! I think we’re a bit better off now.

2 Likes

Yup, we are definitely in a better position, but still… there’s no way we won’t feel the loss in quality and experience at some point, with all these losses… to be honest, I’ve completely lost count of who is still available for us.

Goalies: Allisson, Adrian
Defence: Matip, Fabinho (?), Nat Philips, Rhys Williams, Neco Williams, Tsimikas (?)
Midfield: Keita, Gini, Milner, Jones
Attack: Mané, Bobby, Jota, Shaq, Minamino, Origi

Is that it? 18 players left if that list is correct and Fabinho and Tsimikas are ok. If not, that’s 16 players left…

1 Like

Apart from Central Defence, we’re actually alright. Or heading towards alright. Thiago, Keita and Fabinho should be back soon. Ox is back in training I think. Trent and Salah should only be a couple of weeks each.

I think we are going to have to get used to the fact that there are going to consistently be 3-4 players out at all times. Same for all clubs, especially as the fixture back up through winter. I think the clubs outside the top six are screwed with their smaller squads and inferior fitness.

Obviously the defence though. That’s the worry.

We are not through yet though… God knows what might happen still . Still a full set of international games to go… :sweat: :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

He played 45 minutes on Wednesday against Cyprus and 62 minutes against Moldova on Sunday. He is fine, John van het Schip the Greece manager eases him into the squad after his injury.

4 Likes

We’ve a few lads who could use the minutes. Tsimikas and Minamino come to mind.

It’s the use of players like Robbo and Hendo who’ve played a lot of football that piss me off.

1 Like

‘Only’ 7/8 of our players. :roll_eyes: After that, we are done with international football until the third week of March.

Tuesday:
Japan-Mexico 21:00 Minamino
Swiss-Ukraine 20:45 Shaqiri
Croatia-Portugal 20:45 Jota
Uruquay-Brasil 00:00 Firmino

Wednesday
Polen-Netherlands 20:45 Wijnaldum
Greece-Slovakia 20:45 Tsimikas
Wales-Finland 20:45 Neco Williams

And hopefully not:
Israël-Scotland 20:45 Robertson

6 Likes

I heard this game might be called-off. Rumor is three Uruguayan players have contacted COVID.

2 Likes

Suarez was tested positive but some say he just doesn’t want to play against Barca at the weekend.

2 Likes

Don’t know why as they’re shite.

3 Likes

Whilst injuries are obviously a concern given the amount of games that have already been crammed in to a relatively short period, and the games we have to come, I think players getting coronavirus must be more likely. Quite clearly there are national associations who have fuck all regard for even taking the most basic precautions. That’s notwithstanding the fact that there simply should not be any international games at all at the moment.

3 Likes

We have had a lot of misfortune so far, but we are still up there. I think over the course of a season other teams who have barely been touched will have adversity to overcome.

It’s a tall order to win the league with our defence decimated (yes, I wish we had only lost one in ten!) but I’m still putting us down for league champions.

Others will come through and surprise us with their contribution, Philipps did a good job and might get a few more games, and Williams might emerge as a real player back there too. The mentality of our players is not bettered elsewhere, and I think that will be telling in the end.

2 Likes

My only expectation is I want to see one of the young guns at center half step up and grab an opportunity. I don’t care who it is, I am rooting for each of them equally, one of them have a golden opportunity. Billy, Nat, or Rhys. I don’t think SVB is in the mix but if he is then great. Obviously The Boss sees these boys each and every day in training and is going to play who he thinks is closest but that’s the only thing I want to see, one of them take the chance they’re given.

4 Likes

Well said. I am just glad we got the title monkey off our back, I’d love another one this year but with our first choice CBs out for the year and myriad injuries/COVID elsewhere I’m not too confident. Then again the one thing I am hanging onto is that everyone else is getting banged up left and right, too, and our mentality is so strong that — particularly with title-winning experience — I’d back us against just about anyone else. Still, the one thing that would be great to see is some of the young guns step up (defensively and elsewhere)…how great would it be to have them in the first team and show they can perform consistently, would provide the rest of the squad a shot in the arm (not that they need it, of course, but competition keeps things fresh).

2 Likes

My expectations is back to back PL titles. Hopefully with some fans in Stadium by then. Have it done proper with the Kop going crazy.

I’m unwilling to lower those expectations. So I want us to sign whatever CBs necessary to ensure we have that chance.

Yeah we finally ended our drought last season. But why stop at one. Or be satisfied with one. And use injuries as an excuse.

We are still sitting near the top. So lets make the moves necessary in January. And push on.

*** Would be unbearable to see City , Chelsea or Spurs lift our trophy this season.

4 Likes

I think SVB and Koumetio are roughly in the same place. Koumetio is the player that people will naturally have higher hopes for but he’s been poor at youth level so far this season, consistently gifting up big opportunities to opponents.

It’s a good chance for a number of other academy players to impress though. Rhys Williams, Nat Phillips, Neco Williams and Curtis Jones are the obvious ones but I’m expecting Clarkson and/or Cain to be getting first team minutes this season at this rate as well, potentially in the CL dead rubbers to begin with.

You have to make the best out of a bad situation and if a few of these lads can impress and develop because of this crisis, there’s the silver lining.

4 Likes

After the round of latest injuries, and with those meant to come back still in treatment, my expectations have plummeted even more. Now, a bit like @Neukolln, I just hope to see the young lads grabbing their chance, and hopefully see some exciting football along the way.

Consistency leading to trophies? Not the moment to expect anything of that sort.

1 Like

Hate to say it but I feel the same. We will play 3 matches in 5 and a half day and with all injuries and COVID shite I would not be surprised if we got 3 points total.

Well it is what it is.

1 Like

Nor from anyone else though.

City have had as many injuries as we have. If other teams haven’t had injury problems yet, they will.

My guess at the shape of the season is that it’s going to be scrappy between now and Christmas. We’re consistently playing twice a week and have suffered a couple of shithouse tackles, so we’re feeling the worst of it.

But when the fixtures start backing up for the rest of the league, most of whom don’t have the depth we do or the experience of going twice a week, it will be carnage.

Meanwhile, Sadio, Mo, Thiago and Trent will have had their ‘breaks’ to keep them out of the Red.

We’ll still need to be careful, and we’ll obviously need to programme in rest and recuperation.But in the new year I think you’ll see us and City pull away. We just need to stay thereabouts until then.

1 Like

Looking at this week, I would not be surprised to see Klopp play a significantly weakened side against Atalanta.

We have plenty of wriggle room in the CL. There is no point going strong when we play Brighton at midday on Saturday. That’s not just about the three points, it’s also not really wanting any more lads pulling up with a pinged hamstring.

1 Like