Expectations for the season

@Dutch @Hope.in.your.heart @Neukölln and others who are taking a dim view of the situation, I totally understand your rational. But deep in my heart there’s this resonance

YNWA

4 Likes

What we have at LFC is past experience of the season long football calendar…
Slog Slog Slog…
Xmas Double/Triple Slog Slog Slog…
Jan/Feb/Mar Slog Slog Slog and more Slog - CL Knockouts… Slog Slog
Easter Slog Slog… CL Knockouts… Slog Slog
Premier League Home Straight… GO FOR IT & BRING IT HOME…
CL FINAL… POETRY IN MOTION DISPLAY

Our Mentality Monsters Managed by the Worlds Greatest Manager… 20/21 Season
Makes it a great time to be a follower of Liverpool Football Club…
We can do this… COYR

2 Likes

Personally i hope we take a risk this week.

We will go strong against Leicester - no doubt.

Beat Atalanta and then we can give zero fucks with playing kids against Ajax and Midgetland.

Hopefully also beat Brighton with no new injuries and then we can breathe a bit.

I trust this squad to bring us into a great position in january without Joe and Virgil and then hopefully Klopp decides to bring in another CB and he gets backed by the owners.

1 Like

I think Klopp will be led by the sports science people. If they say players are in the red then he’ll probably react to that.

The players that I think are of most concern are Gini, Hendo, Bobby and Robbo. The rest are probably OK, but those four worry me.

With the rest of the squad

Mo, Trent, Thiago, Keita, Tsimikas, Fabinho, Ox - all are injured or just returning from injury. No problem with game time for them Over the next few weeks. They’ve had rest already.

Milner, Neco, Jones, Origi, Minamino, Jota, Shaq - all used sporadically and should be no concerns over.

Matip’s a special case, and I think he can’t do two games a week. Sadio has already had a Covid rest a while back, but he might be needing to sit one out soon.

Problem we’ve got is that injuries lead to more injuries, directly and indirectly. It forces Klopp to have to lean on lads who should be getting rest (Tsimikas’ unavailability has led to Robertson being played into the ground) and he’s also reluctant to rest players if the team has been weakened through having to use squad players (having to play Rhys and Nat on the right side of defence means it becomes hard to rest Trent without really exposing that side of the pitch).

I think for that reason, when you get the chance of a free hit game, you have to take it. It would be great to beat Atalanta, and to be honest any team we put out can do that. But I wouldn’t be having Henderson, Robertson, Gini or Firmino anywhere near that, and I would having a long think about whether we should play Sadio and Matip too.

2 Likes

Don’t worry about Bobby he has 2 weeks off, positive COV19 test.

1 Like

Fucking bastard international fucking break. FFS, whoever decided it would be a good idea to carry on with international football during this time should be taken out back and (text bleeped out) given a jolly good talking to.

3 Likes

Oh I’m not taking a dim view at all. In fact it’s the opposite. I am quite hopeful. It’s such a perfect time for the squaddies and youngsters to step up. It’s exciting. There’s also more than 30 match days to play. That’s an eternity. Anything can happen.

2 Likes

Saw some tweets on Firmino and Covid earlier. Appears to be someone bored on twitter with nothing better to do. The Echo (referencing the Star!!) say that that Bobby and Ali’s Brazil team mate Gabriel Menino contracted Covid and that he had trained with the squad.

1+2 = 6

3 Likes

Still on for the double.

1 Like

Love your optimism, wish I could be too but all those injuries will bite us in the long run IMO.

2 Likes

Can’t see this reported anywhere?

1 Like

If we can get a Matip and Fabinho partnership going then I think we are fine. Still best team in the world. If they can’t stay fit long enough then yea we could have an issue, but I believe there is enough fight in the squad to find a way.

1 Like

I got blagged! So good news!

1 Like

Christ! Don’t do this to us!

4 Likes

Did you get blagged, or did you blag us?

5 Likes

Well technically both, but in my defense it did trigger your excellent Clint Eastwood gif which I could actually picture as you reading the post. So sorry, not so sorry.

2 Likes

But would you play a deeper line? By playing on the front foot and pinning them in, you are imo expected to go with a high back line. This was amongst other things our undoing against Villa and gave me many nervous moments in a few of our other games.
I think its a catch 22 re: the pro’s and con’s. I feel my life maybe shortened playing a high line against Leicester/Rodgers counter attacking style and Vardy.

1 Like

The defensive line seems to be deeper since Villa and then injuries. We haven’t overreacted and we’re not on top of Alisson, but neither are we pushing into the midfield. It looks to me as though we have adjusted and it seems balanced.

Leicester’s counter attack is dangerous against anyone in any system. So it’s Vardy’s pace and eye for goal. I don’t think we will play too high of a line, but it will still be touch and go on them getting though.

If we win it, given the injury and covid issues we have, it will be a massive marker put down by the mentality monsters.

3 Likes

40% more muscle injuries compared to last season in the PL.

1 Like