Fabio "FABINHO" TAVARES: 2022/23

I dunno if that trust has somewhat gone though with certain types.

I feel he only got back with in due to the fact he had no options.

If he had continued to look like he was I think Klopp might have plucked someone from the U21s.

After all for Klopp to evidently trust Bajectic as he did as you say says a lot.

2 Likes

Thiago got injured also and Jones came in.

Again dropped from the latest Brazil squad.

I think it will do him good. He needed a long break. He looked jaded for most part of the season.

1 Like
3 Likes

@Sweeting I do tend to agree with the majority of your posts and whilst I can relate to some of your points I feel some of your comments are a bit unfair.

Firstly, I will respond to your Fabinho comments.
Firstly, Fabinho has not been shockingly bad for two seasons. Last season Thiago and Fabinho formed a very successful partnership, it wasnā€™t until the last few games where they showed signs of fatigue. I may be talking for myself here, but until our form dropped off this season, Fabinho was one of the players I feared being unavailable. Just to clarify, the two years ago
Being as slow as f**k, Fabinho has never been fast, which is why I have always been puzzled as to how he had been considered a FB early in his career. I am pretty sure you could look through match threads from our title winning season to see that many of us have questioned his speed.
Secondly, can you clarify the period of time you consider Fabinhoā€™s purple patch - this is being genuine not trying to undermine your point. Just from your post you suggest that he has been bad for 2 yrs, with a small purple patch. My hslounderstanding is that the 6months of poor form you refer to was when he was playing CB? My bad if I have mis understood.
Running is not his game, he is not a Kante, his style is of a crab, moving side to side, covering our full backs and at time making a back 3 and he has been very successful at it until this season.

Regarding the Klopp and trust issue, I disagree.

So do you believe Klopp would sign a player he didnā€™t trust or believe in? Yeah, they may not jump straight into the team ie Robbo but that is not a reflection of trust, would you say that he had trust in Moreno for that period? which saw him bomb him off at the end of the season?
This season Elliott was ever present for the first 20+ games, did that stop Klopp from dropping him? Same could be said for Matip.
So nitpicking Jonesā€™ performancesā€¦two thirds of the forum would of sold him last summer. Diaz having things to work on, a way of keeping a player on his toes and not blowing up his ego. Pulling/managing a very talented but light weight Carvalho out of the negative situation we were facing. I think it was Man City (cup) where we started with Elliott, Carvalho and Bajetic in midfield - we got bullied.
Bombing Nunezā€¦ are you mad? Unfortunately, this is where some of our problems startedā€¦.

Our style has always been to press from the front 3. Bobby and Mane were very good at this and Salah complimented this. Jota was signed and given time to adapt to our style, Diaz was a strange one as he was thrown straight in.
So start of the season, Mane leaves. Its okay, we have signed Nunez but we have the other 4 experienced in the press. All of a sudden due to injuries we have Nunez, Salah and another as our 3 pressing attackers. No relationship, no one calling the press and guess what we get bypassed, this stressing our midfield, leaving players running at our midfield rather than duelling, and so on. Nunez was never going to be thrown straight in, he was going to be managed in but Klopps hand was forced, this is evident in our run in where a Nunez suffering from a few knocks found Jota (high pressing statistics) taking his place and Bobby being favoured from the bench.

As I say, I respect your opinion and I especially enjoy your love for youth football. :+1:t2:

I have been as vocal as anyone about how much our forwards contributed to how open defensively we looked for much of the season. So that has to factor into how Fabā€™s performances are evaluated. But beyond that, for someone who was once referred to internally as the Dyson for how much he vacuumed up, he has been far more like a negative interpretation of his other nickname - the lighthouse. A big tall static object that people just sail past

1 Like

I donā€™t see Klopp being as loyal to Fabinho as he has been perceived to be with certain other players. There have been umpteen occasions over the past couple of years when heā€™s done his head in and Jurgen has gone absolutely ballistic at him on the touchline. Itā€™s not often you see it so regularly with other players. When/if we get two or three midfielders who can actually move heā€™ll quickly be forgotten about as a regular starter (same applies to Henderson).

I see him being assigned the role of being the experienced head in midfield for the cups and early stages of the Europa League.

I take it heā€™s no longer shit and ready for the glue factory?

1 Like

I genuinely thought that was Robert Earnshaw for a second.

1 Like

Iā€™m not convinced by our transfer plans. Mac Allister is the most established target, and I think he is a good player, but he plays as an LCM. Our two best midfielders at the moment are Thiago and Jones, who also play as LCMs. We know Klopp, and he will start Fabinho and Henderson ahead of young players like Kone and Thuram in the first half of the session. double the combination of Fabinho, Henderson, and Mac Allister would be much better than having Jones, Fabinho, and Henderson. The clear weakness still remains.

Itā€™s going depend on the system.

Is it a 2 sat in front of one or 2 sat back with 1 further forward, he has played DM and AM so I doubt he is particularly stuck as a LCM and Iā€™ve always felt Thiago played his better stuff on nethier side.

Had the second most games for us and by far the most minutes from our midfielders and I still expect him to play more than all the current midfielders next season.

Fab was at his best when the two midfielders in front of him were able to do all the dirty work. Gini and prime Hendo were the best at that but one left and the other got old.

Feel like Fabinho started to get worse as soon as we signed Thiago.

Thiago, Elliott and Jones have their qualities but thatā€™s clearly not the basics like covering ground, running, pressing etc.

Fabinho had such a bad season but got better when Harvey was out of the team and even better when Thiago was out.

Doubt heā€™ll be the best defensive midfielder in the world again but Iā€™m pretty sure heā€™ll be better than he was in the last two years with two new midfielders (and them being workhorses like Alex Mac and Kone?) in front of him.

1 Like

Provided Fabinho is willing , start the transition to CB and play him as a backup CB.

Get others in the midfield. Donā€™t see his long term future in Liverpool as a midfielder

Weā€™ve already tried that, and it wasnā€™t pretty.

I dont know why people blame Thiago. He is our best defensive mid for a while although its not his main job.

I refer to him as the lighthouse whose bulb went a year ago, causing wrecks all over.

Jones is excellent at all these things.

A defensive midfielder who needs two other players to do his ā€œdirty workā€ is pointless, especially considering he doesnā€™t bring any other outstanding abilities to the table.

3 Likes

Iā€™d move him on. A few okay games towards the back end of an horrendous season shouldnā€™t be glossing over the shit shows. If heā€™s going to need someone holding his hand just to look halfway decent then whatā€™s the point? Not like they can make him run any faster.

1 Like