FIFA contemplating "revolutionary" changes to football

El Mundo Deportivo is reporting that FIFA are examining 30 minute halves with unlimited subs, stoppages, kick-ins and 5-minute suspensions for yellow cards.

From the looks of it, greed is the driving force behind most of the important changes as Infantino and his ilk are looking to cram even more matches into the football calendar.

2 Likes

You know that whatever they propose will be for economic rather than sporting reasons.

I’d like slightly higher goals to encourage more spectacular long shots and a sin bin system 10 or 15 mins instead of straight red cards.

I’d like any goal scored by a club from Manchester to be disallowed automatically.

8 Likes

I wonder if the awful reaction to the ESL has emboldened FIFA somewhat. I was strongly opposed to the ESL, as I am these changes, but it seems inevitable that the game is going to eat itself one way or another when the administrative bodies’ only concern is capital.

1 Like

So basically they want to turn it into an American football game.

4 Likes

T20 football
:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

It’s all about expanding into the US market. $$$$$$$$$$$$$

3 Likes

Well, I haven’t that much of an issue with FIFA trying things at a youth tournament. But I have heavy doubts about these changes.

The strangest one is unlimited subs. Imagine how the games will be slowed down with all the changes. This isn’t ice-hockey, it will take far more time. And of course, shrewd coaches will make the most of it in order to slow down games even more if needed.

The 2x30 minutes effective time is clearly in order to move the game towards american sports, allowing TV channels to put in advertisements at every break. This is an economical ploy, something which should be fought against with all means. At a youth tournament, it’s ok, but not at televised high level.

No opinion on kick-ins. Not really needed I think.

The five-minute suspension is interesting in theory, but thinking about it, it’s not needed. Again, this isn’t ice-hockey, and being one man down for a few minutes isn’t as punishing in football. It will lead to phases of purely defensive football by the team reduced to ten men, and as such, the risk is that it will slow down the game. Combined with the unlimited changes rule, it’s a recipe for disaster.

Bottom-line: don’t change anything, but try by all means to improve refereeing and consistency regarding their decisions. That’s the biggest problem we have in the game right now imo, along with far too much money poisoning it from the inside.

1 Like

I haven’t read the article but FIFA can’t make these changes without the agreement of the IFAB can they? I can’t imagine most of these will be signed off by the home nations.

i’d rather see revolutionary changes within FIFA,

9 Likes

Unlimited subs is ridiculous and would further strengthen the richest clubs. It would make a mockery of the whole game.

2 Likes

Time for some of the FAs to tell FIFA to feck off. Increasingly feels like there is not much to lose. Done right, one big country being willing to miss one world cup and have clubs banned from competition for a few years could precipitate the death of FIFA.

1 Like

“The Future of Football Cup tournament is being the test bed of various measures that could revolutionize the world of football in the still distant future. Although in the first instance it was circulated through social networks that FIFA sponsored the tests, as Mundo Deportivo has learned, the youth category tournament does not have the support of the international body.”

Slightly misleading thread title:

“At the end, FIFA will evaluate the impact of these changes on the tournament and will assess whether to raise any at a formal request to the International Board, which is the body that sets the rules of the game worldwide.”

2 Likes

This would be the actual death of football for me, even two of those changes would put me over the edge. I can’t believe I am actually yearning for Blatter’s return. There really should be restrictions on how long a FIFA president can hold the position for, that’s the only revolutionary change I want to see.

1 Like

Perez also discussed 30 minute halves. As a rich 75 year old, he understands better than most how young people consume football; they get on the YouTube and watch 5 minute clips of their favourite players. They don’t want to watch 90 minutes of football. Nothing to do with being priced out of not only the stadia but also the sports packages.

1 Like

Why does the world seem to be full of nincompoops?

Changed it it might make more sense now.
I was just posting something so I would come back to this thread. I have an electrical problem with my car so my brain is frazzled. :cry: as well as not having the time to concentrate when on the forum, sorry.

That should be happening anyway for World Cup 2022. 6500 migrant worker deaths so far. Any self-respecting national federation should want no part of this blood bath.

Didn’t this come up at the 94 world cup? I remember the US broadcasters wanting more ad breaks and excitement and tried to get changes made. Look at what’s happened to cricket. Football will go the same way. I can’t wait for the Premier 5 a side league that tours the world.

Ultimately money will win. It usually does.

A sin bin idea would have been good idea before VAR, it’s not bad to use in amateur football but I’m not sure what it’s need is now.

Kick ins are five aside stuff. Shorter half’s in youth events may work but I can’t see anything drastic like that happening unless it comes with a stopped clock.