FIFA World Cup: Qatar 2022

@Dutch @The-AllMightyReds are you gonna take this lying down!! :wink:

It wasnā€™t a match played in a good spirit, to be sure. But that Argentinian instinct to be spiteful rather than magnanimous in victory is a truly unfortunate part of Argentinaā€™s culture - including their political culture. It has harmed them more than anyone.

2 Likes

I agree with this.

Sometimes the game boils over or is played in a bad spirit, like the game yesterday. But then when all is said and done, donā€™t gloat in the moment of victory. Itā€™s small time. Enjoy your win, thank the losers, shake hands move on.

I am confident that England will lose before the final, but if it should happen that we get Argentina, I would love to beat them.

5 Likes

No wonder I never made it as a professional footballer!

Itā€™s hard to feel bad for sides who go out on penalties and hard to feel excited for teams that go through on them, unless they are your team. World Cups won on penalties always feel hollow to me. Thinking of that dour 1994 match between Brazil and Italy when the blue cynics won on spot kicks. Give them a half-sized trophy and a chocolate medal.

Iā€™m not a huge Ronaldo fan to say the least, but this might be a match where heā€™d start. No non-Canadian side has scored against Morocco, and a turn of brilliance might be what this match needs. That might be what Santos is thinking if the thought process is if ET is needed, he can bring Ronaldo on at 60 and have him available for penalties.

Donā€™t tell me to chill!!!

Iā€™m fucking chilled!!

COOL AS A CUCUMBER ME!!!

I was living in the US at the time, and that final sort of set the game back a bit. US viewership numbers for the Final were quite impressive, a record at the time as I recall, and that was not a match that did much to dispel negative preconceptions.

1 Like

Theyā€™re gonna look like right fuckwits if Croatia do 'em.

Far too much celebrating for a QF win, imo.

4 Likes

Like far too much dancing for beating South Korea in the second round for the Brazilians

1 Like

I know this is a World Cup and the correlation may not be the same but some our greatest triumphs and Cups were won on penalties. Didnā€™t seem so hollow to me, personally

2 Likes

You must have me confused with some other guy,

I have no connection with Dutch people or the Dutch nation.

Argh just noticed the mistaken tag mate :man_facepalming:t2::rofl:

What we thinking then guys?

Morocco to carry on this great run or Portugal to take another step towards glory?

You would want to note the qualifier I wrote, ā€œunless they are your team.ā€

So this is the ref that produced 10 red cards in a game a few weeks ago.

Could be an interesting game to watch :joy:

2 Likes

The customaryā€¦

Portugal for me. Far more quality than Spain.

Almost!

Iā€™ve been impressed with Felix

Also more direct. Spain overplays possession.

1 Like