Former players and managers - general discussion

Obviously throughout the season there are lots of mishaps, but everyone remembers the Stevie G slip. We just had to win at home and the premiership was ours, but Mourinho parked the bus and profited from an unfortunate slip. Despite our goal scoring exploits we couldn’t get past the bus. Ironic given Mourinho’s previous criticism of bus parking.

1 Like

Sorry, but only arseholes like to say we lost the league because of Gerrard.

4 Likes

I wasn’t blaming Gerrard, it’s just a fact that had we won that game we would have been champions. And come on mate, do you really need to add invective like using the term arsehole? We’re all supporters here. Why the aggro?

1 Like

Far too simplistic to say because Gerrard slipped we lost the title (paraphrasing). I’m more interested to know why we went out to try win a game when after 5 minutes or was obvious to everyone that Chelsea were content to just stay in their own half. Rodgers should have reacted to that and told our lads to do the same. See the game out, don’t take any risks, get the point and the title is still in our hands. But his ego meant that was impossible. He had to beat Jose to demonstrate how amazing he is.

His own insecurities cost us in that match. His inability to organise a defence cost us over the course of the season and it’s something that he hasn’t learnt to remedy.

11 Likes

Never said that Gerrard’s slip cost us the title, but we lost that match and with it the title. That’s not the point. The point was that we were so close. That’s all. Everyone is trying to overanalyse this. It’s simply a fact that we were so close to winning. End of. You can say what you like about Brendan, mostly bad it seems, and I don’t have any issue with this, but if we had beaten Chelsea the Premiership was ours. It’s long gone, so why we are arsed about it god only knows. Thankfully the current situation is much more healthy, for which we should be thankful. However, the use of derogatory names in discussions is not well received and coming from Patrons, whoever they are, seems to set a bad example to the rest of us.

1 Like

No? Something has given me the impression your blame has been very much directed at Gerrard…

Eg.

4 Likes

Oh dear…

2 Likes

Steven Gerrard Reaction GIF by EA SPORTS FIFA

2 Likes

Oh for Christ’s sake, I’m not trying to imply that Stevie G lost us the premiership, and I think you must know this. We all love SG, who did so much for the club and hopefully will return one day. I was merely trying to show how fortunes can change in an instant.

Like a dog with a bone. And you a patron. Don’t make me laugh. Give someone a title and it goes to their head.

Got to be post of the week for me… :rofl:

1 Like

you certainly are…

just agree to disagree?

I keep trying to move on. I think you’ll find there is a difference between standing your ground, especially having being insulted on several occasions, by patrons of all people, and labouring a point. I’m bored senseless by this discussion.

Rodgers had a man crush on himself looks like he’s not the only one :rofl:. Blarney boy its rumoured he kissed the blarney stone more than once.

It’s true in a practical sense if not a literal sense. It’s not always fair that the miss that comes at the end of the game is the one that is remembered as deciding the match, but it’s practically correct even if only a part of the story. There are too many threads to pull on what might have happened differently had Eto’o been sent off (remember, that was a double whamy as he went on to score the winner), or Sterling’s goal against City was allowed. But we were so close to the end of the season that were not any more threads to pull after the slip.

What I do find interesting is the idea that we pushed too hard to win a game we didn’t need to. We didn’t. I do think that is a stick used to beat Brendon because its easier to blame him for the loss of the title than accept something absurd happened to a player we love. In reality, that game was a domestic version of the Farce of Gijon with us just as content to walk around as Chelsea were to not leave their half.

3 Likes

As well as your point I think it also ignores the fact we weren’t a team that could sit back and let the other team do as they wished. Chelsea were still in with an outside shot at the title they wouldn’t have sat back all game and meekly gone for a draw, that was just Jose lulling us into a false sense of security. We had the edge, quite significantly, in a tense but controlled game of probing each other but they were coming forward, having attacks and if we’d just sat back we’d have got spanked. That team wasn’t good enough and balanced enough. Its only real form of effective defence was offence. To walk away from that game with 1 or 3 points, chocked full of talented players and Jose at his height in charge, we needed to score goals. Them scoring first allowed them to completely close up. They were quality enough to sit back on a lead and hit on the counter. That made it mission improbable after that needing to recover a ridiculous goal difference or City to slip up. If we’d beaten Palace 4 or 5 nil i guess there was the smallest chance but chasing that ridiculous score line was something else that put paid to that wonder season.

1 Like

Except that is precisely what they did. I think Jose’s plan was to hope that would drive us mad and coax a mistake out of us they could exploit, but it didnt happen. What happened wasnt a mistake borne out of us playing into Jose’s hands. it was one borne out of the vengeance of Olympus pissed that Zeus slept with Stevie’s mum.

Maybe had it got to 60-70 minutes and still been 0-0 he’d have started to play a bit more, but through the period prior to the goal it was one of the most negative performances i have ever seen. And despite the convention wisdom of it winding us up and coaxing us into being irresponsible, i.e. Jose’s tactics working, we seemed totally content in knowing we could hold onto the ball for 90 minutes and a draw being enough enough for us.

3 Likes

Agree Limie that Chelsea sat right back and wasted time etc all through first half. But all the more reason why Rogers should never have had us pushed so far up on the half way line with Gerrard as sweeper. We were hugely naive and Rogers bottled it that day with his tactics.

Some have used derogatory terms, don’t think I have.

Like others have said, had we beaten West Brom, had we not lost to city we’d have won the title. All ifs and buts. You don’t win or lose a title because of one match. Had Rodgers been able to organise a defence even half competently we’d have won the title.

I admire your stance and not trying to change the way you think. That season we played some exhilarating stuff. He’s too quick to take the plaudits but quicker to blame others when things go wrong. That’s something I don’t like in a manager.

Probably put a photo of himself on the stone first.