Former players and managers - general discussion

What a legend.

Easily in the Top3 of our best CBs of the last 20 years. Ahead of Carra and Sami.

5 Likes

7 Likes

not for me, but this is not the time nor the place
wonderful servant of the club
thanks for the memories

6 Likes

I watched the first half of Iceland vs Wales last night. To be fair Neco Williams and Harry Wilson were on fire and involved in both Welsh goals. Real moments of quality on both.

I switched off at half time and it all went to shit apparently. This is the norm.

4 Likes

Definitely ahead of carra; I’d put him alongside Sami - maybe a better player but Sami changed our defence from a laughing stock into something that could fight for trophies.

Good line from Klopp:

"In all the years that I have been involved in football, I am not sure I have come across too many players who are more loved than JoĂ«l Matip, said the former manager
I have said before that if there was one person who wouldn’t care if he was underrated it would be JoĂ«l, but the truth is we could not have rated him more highly.”

7 Likes

Agreed.

1. Lovren
  2. Virg
  3. Matip
6 Likes

Joel Matip Career

Schalke 04: 258 games, 20,728 mins, 23 goals and 14 assists
Liverpool: 201 games, 16,190 mins, 11 goals and six assists

Only if his body wasn’t so brittle, sigh

2 Likes

Probably one of the most under rated CB of all time. He had his injuries but when he played, he was pretty much Mr Reliable and put in great performances time after time, bar the occasional brain farts, which even our top players had to be fair. Happy retirement to him and like what Klopp said, probably the best free transfer we ever had.

2 Likes

Who is this?

Would just ‘luv it’ if it was KK

1 Like

Don’t know why but I am always shocked and a bit sad when I realise my idols are mere mortals and age just like the rest of us :slightly_frowning_face:

4 Likes

Joel Matip?

Too short.

1 Like

It’s clearly Alex Raisbeck - I’m sure @cynicaloldgit can confirm.

Confirmed. I took the photo.

1 Like

You really were part of the vanguard back at the turn of the twentieth century.

How I hated the twentieth century. The nineteenth was so much better.

And as for the eighteenth
 oh la la.

You really had to be there

3 Likes

Vvd
Sami
Matip
Agger

Pity the last two were so injury prone.

Scott Steiner?

And some wanted to give him a new contract

1 Like