Fun Facts Thread

Fun, unexpected facts to thrill and amaze. One per post please to avoid fact overload.

Marmite was invented by Justus von Liebig, a German chemist.

3 Likes

There was an indie band in the Eighties called Liebig Condenser.

3 Likes

There is 10 x more vitamin C in a red pepper than there is in an orange.

2 Likes

Worked with a group of Eastern European guys once…
They ate Peppers daily like most people would eat an apple…

1 Like

Stuck on a stick and dipped in toffee?

2 Likes

There are 9 million bicycles in Beijing.

1 Like

Thought it we be higher given the population of Beijing. That said, I expect there to be as many cars as people.

Are you suggesting Katie Melua is a liar? :astonished:

In her defence, this was a few years ago she said this.

I don’t even know who she is, to refute the fact :laughing:

22 million folk and only 9 million bikes - seemed low to me anyway.

All that said, I googled cars in Beijing and found there are 6 million vehicles now (assuming that includes vans, hgvs etc). Still lower than expected.

Okay so motorbikes must be higher!

1 Like

Kopstar is correct. That’s a fact, a thing we can’t deny.

1 Like

There are more bicycles than people in Berlin

2 Likes

The first man to fly an aeroplane in Australia was escapologist Harry Houdini.

Charles Rolls ( of Rolls Royce) was the first Briton to die in an aeroplane accident - in Bournemouth 1910.

3 Likes

The second shortest war in history was fought in April 2021. After the Anglo-Zanzibar war which lasted between 38-45 minutes (based on the source), this war fought in 2021, between a bunch of billionaires and lasted 48 hours.

This war has a unique place in the history books as it was fought between two sides, one called “The Owners of the Elite 12” and the other “UEFA/FA/FIFA” otherwise called “We can do fuck all we want to”. However the unique element of this war is that it was won by a third group called “The Manager, the players and the fans”, aka “The Holy Trinity”.

The Holy Trinity clan clearly see the other two as the reason for the war. Unfortunately they need to deal with the both on daily basis. It’s now a question of siding with the better devil.

In my honest opinion, the Trinity will do much better influencing the Owners clan.
The other one is simply hopeless. It’s like explaining the benefits of yoga to a Black mamba.

Fun fact? This war is in theory still not over :nauseated_face:

3 Likes

Ummm GIF by memecandy

2 Likes

I beg to question. There were 9 million bicycles when the song was written. Are there now?

1 Like

I just listened to it again and she still says 9 million, so that’s a fact that you can’t deny.

That was a fact at the time (to you) if you choose to believe her veracity.

Nothing else to discuss like :wink:

1 Like

Fun Fact - There’s a difference between ‘are’ and ‘were’ :wink:

1 Like

No, literally I just listened to it again. She says there “are” 9 million bicycles in Beijing. I bet when I listen to it again in a few years time she’ll tell me the same thing. Maybe Beijing’s reached bicycle-capacity.

It’s so hard to take the piss on here sometimes.

1 Like

The Beatles do not all live in a yellow submarine

2 Likes