Gini Wijnaldum (CM) - PSG

Does anyone know which players played the most minutes in the last 5 years (since Gini joined).

So, that’s done. We’ll close the thread now, and we can continue to use his player thread to discuss him.

1 Like

Over the last 5 years his base salary has been £23.4 M, on top of that he has had performance related bonuses and sponsorships. He would have earnt >£30M while at this club.

He has no need to secure the future of his family. There does become a point where money should not be the main driver.

The manager, staff, fans all wanted him to stay. He said he wanted to stay. He has hinted that it will all come out after the euros.

As a club we have exceeded his expectations (joined before we were in the CL). He has been well rewarded financially. He has been widely supported by everyone within Anfield. There should be no disgruntlement on his side. Especially as we picked him up from a relegated Newcastle.

It’s disappointing to see him saying this on Instagram
"I will have to look at my story and how everything went. “The fans deserve to know the story behind it.”

And this in interviews

"Now is not the time to talk about Liverpool and the reason I left.

"Someday I will do that, after the tournament. Then it will become clear to everyone why things went the way they did.

"That’s the problem, people look at it from the outside and don’t understand it.

"What I do want to say is that the people at the training complex, the employees of the club and my fellow players would have liked to keep me.

“I did tell them more. After that they completely understood my decision. That’s important to me.”

The implication is that he has been wronged by the club. However it looks like it was all about the money. Going to club who would offer him most.

You might say fair enough. Short career and all that. But as an athlete I would like to think he is driven by performing on the biggest stage. Playing in Europe’s 4th biggest league is not that.

10 Likes