Gini Wijnaldum (CM) - PSG

That doesn’t appear to be where he plays for Koeman. I’d be expecting to see him in the 3 when he plays for them.

Difficult, with Barca’s forward options (they’re also bringing one forward in, seems like it will be Depay). Two different teams/different needs. They need a specific type of player either up front or out on the left.

Gini should provide good cover and energy to any of the 3 other central midfielders.

2 Likes

Well his agent and LFC have been at an impasse for nearly a year, links to Barca appear, Klopp has a meeting and now a new contract offer?

Not saying the links weren’t genuine but it could have strengthened his hand.

1 Like

I dont think so. There was an offer to him already from the club. I’m sure the club was always open to tweaking it, if it didn’t cross any of their red lines.

I would also argue that losing Gini either now or next summer wouldn’t be seen as a big enough issue to lead them to give a new contract if they werent before - particularly if they have already gone to the trouble of lining Thiago up as a replacement.

Then there is the question whether the club ever got the vibe from Barca that its interest in Gini was serious.

2 Likes

Think Koeman would look at 4231 with 2 from Pjanic, Busquets and De Jong. Messi as the 1 (Griezmann cover). 2 or 3 from Griezmann, Depay, Fati and Coutinho depending on whether they are going all out attack (3) or tactically solid (2) when Wijnaldum would come in as the hard working number 10 (maybe about half league games and most CL games). Dembele and Suarez probably leaving on free transfer (Suarez) or loan with option to buy (Dembele). He plays a lot more attacking role for Koeman than he does for Klopp so regardless of how we use him or would use him we need to think how Koeman uses him and why he’d be buying him even if it doesn’t seem like it would make sense or work that well.

It’s hard to overstate the impact coronavirus has had. It’s caused wholesale reassessment. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the club’s difficulty in achieving reasonable fees for players and the relative lack of quality on the market has led to a reevaluation of Gini’s “value”, even into his 30s. Compromising, perhaps, on length of contract but perhaps Gini might also need to give a bit on wages (or at least how they are determined), given the current environment.

Barca could have moved the needle a little but nothing compared with coronavirus.

4 Likes

These two can be in Wijnaldum pocket and you wouldn’t even notice.

1 Like

…but are still more than good enough for Barca to use against 90% of the teams they would face. And against the other 10% (if they do sign him) having Wijnaldum as a hard working number 10 in front would sort it.

1 Like

I bet this will heat up again once Thiago is confirmed.

Would be a huge mistake to let him go now.

2 Likes

The announcement of Gini extending his contract would be the icing on the cake now. Fingers crossed!

9 Likes

Think the coordinated wording from all the journos saying the Thiago signing isn’t linked to another midfielder leaving is interesting.

They’re not categorically saying Gini is staying, just that this deal isn’t reliant on him going. Sends the message that just because we’ve pushed ahead with Thiago doesn’t mean Barca can try and force a deal for Gini on the cheap.

I still think there’s a chance he goes and we get a CB in but if we don’t we’re in a good place.

4 Likes

Given how difficult it is to get good CBs, I think I’d rather keep Gini and be content to play Fab back there if needed.

7 Likes

Most important thing is to keep Gini for this season.

Contract extension would only make sense if Milner leaves at the end of the season - which I think will be.

2 Likes

Agree but if a suitable offer came from Barca, or elsewhere, we might now see the club more open to it.

Ive reached the point where I no longer fear losing a player to Barca because of it harming our prospects. I fear because Gini is too nice a fella to go to that toxic shitpool and I worry he’d never smile the same way again.

11 Likes

I honestly don’t think he would bother. He still seems quite happy. He is well invested in the team spirit. Never looks pissed off so it would take some cash to move him.

Don’t think Milner is leaving. If he goes, He’s going to Leeds, Otherwise I see Milner seeing out his major playing career at Liverpool and possibly doing his coaching badges.

3 Likes

We need to redirect all calls regarding any potential transfer straight to voice mail.

Headlines appeared to be a bit of a click bait. However, the directives from higher up at Barcelona is that they don’t exactly have the type of cash flow to get Gini.

All the inflated transfer business that Barca does finally comes back to bite them in the arse.

2 Likes