Good Ebening! - The Aston SeVillaReal Thread

The Roma manager before Mourinho, I think.

1 Like

I can see Gerrard tapping into his Liverpool connections for loan players in January.

The obvious candidates would be Phillips, AOC (depending on whether we strengthen midfield in January), and Origi or Minamino.

1 Like

Yes, this is a certainty and not just loans either. I can see us getting actual money from Villa for one or two of those you’ve mentioned if not in Jan then definitely in the summer.

I would have thought Villa are fine up front? Although I don’t follow them so I don’t know their squad well, my impression was this was probably a mix of second season syndrome for both players and manager.

Possibly, I’m just listing who the fans wanted although Villa has to be one of the best jobs in the PL. Wealthy owners who don’t mind splashing the cash. They’ve got big potential if they can get it right on the pitch. They are struggling this season because they built the team around Grealish who was far and away their best player and Smith was exposed as someone who didn’t really have a plan B once he’d gone. They just need a new and effective tactical identity. They will have the resources.

2 Likes

The curse of second season syndrome in the third season! :wink:

Any idea what are the major weaknesses or shortcomings of the Villa squad?

Gerrard presents himself extremely well, I love listening to him speak. Style, charisma, and class. He has a certain charm and commanding presence. I listened to his PC and am excited for him and his era to begin. I would feel that way even if I was not a Liverpool supporter. He’s just a complete class act.

That said, I believe the project will take time. He made it clear he wants to “stamp his identity” into the squad, wants them to be possession based team. Also said he hasn’t had much time to work with everyone as some have been away. IMO this first match v Brighton has the possibility of not being a high quality watch. Both squads are struggling and not in great form.

2 Likes

Good luck to Stevie with this job. Villa are a good club . I hope he is successful there and then , when Jurgen leaves, comes back to LFC and continues to be a winner.

1 Like

Really? I’ve never seen a presser or interview of his since becoming manager but apart from the scenes on the pitch after winning the City game I’ve always thought of him as pretty bland off the pitch.

I like his style. He reminds me of a cool head boy at a school.

1 Like

Watched some highlights; if it’s representative of the whole game, Stevie has his hands full.

1 Like

What is this project he was working towards at Rangers? He won the league, ended Celtic’s hegemony and rebuilt the entire squad. A new manager is in a great position to step in and continue that success.

Not sure what another 6 months in Scotland would have done for him. Another SPL title? No one outside of Scotland cares about that.

7 Likes

Like one of the reporters said yesterday in Scotland he had a couple of games against Celtic and the rest were easy so he was only tested a few times in a season, now in the premier league he is tested every week and the standard is far higher.

2 Likes

Ah it was an off the cuff comment answering a comment on him walking away from Rangers mid season.
Nothing more

Post Gerrard era for Rangers hasn’t started well.

1 Like

Good start for Gerrard, although I’d say that on the basis of the highlights, a draw would probably have been more logical. But they were better towards the end, and took advantage.

Gerrard said after the game that it was only one first step, and that many others had to follow suit. He does seem cool and not one to easily get carried away. I liked his emotions on the touchline when they scored though.

Obviously, we’ll see what he’s made of when the going gets tough for them, but it’s a good first step for him.

2 Likes

So how long before Villa will be changing their pre-match song to Phill Collins? :joy:

Brighton are a decent team so it’s interesting that Villa looked defensively sound, mind you the Brighton keeper on the first one didn’t look great.

1 Like

This is nice… something that Klopp also prefers.

11 Likes