Guitars, Guitars and more toys that go with Guitars

Yep the same. late night noodling only. Which is why I’m looking at the Spark amp to be honest. Headphone socket, but it can also be used as a sound bar for the TV as well as many other attractive sounding things that will help me develop.

Yes it was the floating bridge that was the problem with the RG. I find the Strat especially harsh and so will roll off the tone, which I guess is standard, unless you’re Eric Clapton (not a fan BTW), and want that classic blues tone.

P90s seem to be coming into fashion, especially on anything Gibson, but of course the Jazzmaster is a fender P90, essentially high output coils.

That B&G looks very nice - have you seen Reverend Guitars at all?

Look very tasty but cant say Ive ever even held one; seem to be what many guitarists are fawning over, some modern takes on classic designs - I think their main signature artists are Billy Corgan and Reeves Gabrels.

1 Like

I used to play a bit, not so much lately, what with getting on and the war wounds playing up.

Despite the best efforts of the Mem I’ve hung on to a number of my guitars/amps, (seven guitars and three amps, at the last count) but since we downsized a few years ago I’ve had to store most of them away in the attic/garage.

Nothing particularly special, just a random mix of electric/acoustic, four/six/twelve string guitars of various makes, ages and in diverse conditions i.e. most like me, very old, and much the worse for wear.

3 Likes

Yep Im inclining toward the same; the Tele is just so good. I think Strats come across that way for the blues history and because the natural EQ on them is a scooped middle; an absolutely deathly sound when clean or unprocessed. SO most Strat players look for some pedal or amp to push the mids, like a Tubescreamer or Marshall, which has a hump in the high mid-frequency.

Been looking at Jags and Jazzmasters, but the latter seem to have risen in price a lot in the past 5 years. Jags are still attractive, but I have never really had time playing either of them. The Johnny Marr signature Jag from a few years back is extremely nice, especially in Sherwood green but they hardly ever come up for sale.

I increasingly hear lots of people say Tele’s are the best guitar ever made, its like you say, the simplicity. I think the EQ is almost flat with a treble hump. They certainly have more middle than Strats.

What base do you play? I also used to play base (Jass Base & Hagstrom H8 back in the day) and I still have a Precision base, and Base State B65 amp.

1 Like

Yeah I tried an older Ibanez many moons ago with a cheap Floyd Rose on it. Horrible contraption and basically swapped it for the SZ. Much better and more solid guitar.

I’ve always thought that a bluesy tone was a lot thicker, smoother than what you get from the bridge pick ups of Strats and Tele’s to be fair. Albert Collins being one obvious exception I guess. I’ve always found it a little too thin for my liking.

Thanks for the heads up on Reverend. That’s just gone and made my decision a hell of a lot harder. :rofl:

The B&G looks and sounds really sweet if you’re into that older more relaxed style or even jazz perhaps. Here’s an example of what it’s like. Probably not as flexible as I had originally hoped, but still oozes loveliness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QEeQhMr33E

1 Like

Yeah these ultra precise floating bridge set ups are a complete nightmare to keep in tune, so Im staying well clear for the rest of my playing days. Although I love vibrato and Strat floating bridges seem to be far more usable. Other players claim the Jaguar, plate vibrato, to be the best one.

Some blues tone are thick, especially Gibson type stuff. But Im also finding the straight Strat tone too thin. I normally put a lot of effects in to compensate.

Ah Ive clicked on a link to B&G before from a Youtube video! I think they were then demoing Sultans of Swing with it, its an immensely beautiful and delightful sounding guitar, but very pricey and leagues above Reverend. I suppose if you got one it would relegate all your other guitars - they are handmade in Turkey I think? And you’ll never be able to hide it :wink:

Nope, it would be lovely but it feels a bit of a niche type instrument I think. Not sure that would really fill everything I’d want to use it for musically. Could be too much of a luxury but man it would be nice.

Have you looked at the G&L guitars? They do a cheaper import line or a more expensive Amercan made line. They are basically Fender after Leo left Fender. They have a pick up option which is more powerful and meatier than the Strat equivalent. The trems are also better. I have been looking closely at those as well to be honest.

I’ve even been looking at Gibson ES-335 type guitars today. Release my inner BB King if your like. The tonal options are obviously great (despite being twin humbuckers) but that body is pushing my limit n size I think.

There’s also the D’Angelico Premier mini DC which might be an option. Same shape as a 335 only smaller, more compact.

Could be an expensive luxury yes, but they do sound great.

I hadnt until you mentioned it but was aware of them, Jerry Cantrel used to have a signature Strat type. I agree they do look good and are competitively priced next to Fender proper, the prices of which have shot through the roof. A Mexican is now around the price of what a US used to be 10-15 years ago. They do come with a little coke 8-ball so not too bad…

I had an Ibanez version of the 335, it sounded fantastic but was not too well made from their Chinese era, whihc has now moved back to Indonesia. Yep 335 lovely and may have another one later, but like you, that body is hugely wide and gets right into the armpit, they are also very long if you doubly fancy taking up surfing, but they sound ace one of my all time favourites, and the guitar I always said I would have if I ever played. I did play and didnt follow up on that!!! They also feedback extremely easily because of the vented body - about £2500-3k arent they?

The best thing you’ve shown me are the G&L Teles…I think, but this could change :laughing:

1 Like

In the band I use a Yamaha BB735a - I know Yamahas are not considered cool or prestigious, but this is the best bass I’ve ever played/owned, plays like butter. Very versatile soundwise as well, e.g. I can get a classic P-Bass or a P/J bass sound as well as switch on the active preamp when I need more definition/modern sound etc.
It’s a 5 string bass, which for some reason some people get all worked up about, but I find very useful.

For some songs I also play a cheap Stagg Electric Double Bass, because it’s less hassle than an acoustic upright.

5 Likes

Yep the Gibson’s are over £3k new which is a bit bonkers I think. You’re well into the realm of diminishing returns there I think.

Damn those Reverends have got me looking again. They certainly fit my qwuerk at wanting something a little different to the norm.

1 Like

Who cares what anyone else thinks or what is supposedly “cool”; if you get the sound you want, and like, I say go for it and to hell with them.

Why do they get worked up? Nothing wrong with a five string base; if it was good enough for Jack Bruce etc. etc.

As for

Respect! Do you have any recording I can listen to?

2 Likes

There are some P90 models too I do believe :roll_eyes:

Of course if you do succumb it will probably cost me later, although Ive officially been after a Jazzmaster for 4 years…but bought a Tele 3 years ago.

Oh, I don’t care, that’s why I’m playing it, I just find some of the gear snobs/purists amusing.
Recordings, yes…Call me old-fashioned, but I’m always a bit concerned about a degree of anonymity on a public internet forum…Not that we’re super famous or anything …I’ll think about it :wink:

1 Like

As well as other vintage style pickups.

You have not made my decision easier. At least I’m not in any rush. I cant see this happening until after Christmas I think.

Shame that there’s nowhere close that I can sit down and try stuff out.

Yeah sorry:

Couldnt help myself!

Okay down to the serious business of playing…players tend to gravitate toward certain Keys and chord sequences, mostly DCG or ADE, which are you and what special chords do you go for?

Im Dminor way too much and then go DCG usually, but can if Im feeling exotic pick up B. Favourite chord is Gm 6+9 its that exotic I cannot find anything to go with it other than Bm and F#m.

If I could be better at anyting it would be to be able to master the interrelationship of chords and change key, but I suppose thats the ultimate challenge!!

In the next window we could have a musical week. Everybody who can does 60 seconds and links it here. Hmmmm…

1 Like

You’re way ahead of me on the music theory side, which is one reason why I’ve actually made a real effort this time to get going with it. I’ve had enough learning songs parrot fashion, time to understand the theory behind it and even do my own thing.

That said as I’m focusing my efforts on the Blues at the moment I seem to be playing a lot in ADE, or EAB. I’ve always had a thing for 9th chords I guess and there’s always the “Hendrix chord” which I do like to put in instead of an E7 for example.

2 Likes

It will always remain a foreign language to me I fear. Parrot fashion or nothing here :frowning:

1 Like