Guitars, Guitars and more toys that go with Guitars

Yeah great band. Sambora is one of my favourites and reasons to play guitar. Keep at it though, It will come.

Some other Jovi songs which are really easy to play / or well worth learning are:

Dead or alive
Bed of Roses
You give love a bad name
In these arms

On my bucket list is - i’ll be there for you. I just love the guitar fills in that song and again it doesn’t appear to be a difficult one.

1 Like

I’d love to play Good Guys Don’t Always Wear White and I’d Die For You.

1 Like

I’d die for you was one of those songs I knew (bar the solo) and have since forgotten. It’s not that bad from memory. Hitting the pinch harmonics consistently needs some practice, for me anyway.

1 Like

I really like Steve Stine. Excellent online teacher.

yeah, very good but I haven’t checked out the lessons he sells though.

I started to dabble with this one last night. Bit pissed having to do it late at night all the time but better than nothing. For ease I should have picked the original Fleetwood Mac version to be honest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWwUQ6gbKIo

2 Likes

Anyone ever tried or owned a guitar with Seymor Duncan P Rails?

I’ve been toying with the idea of upgrading the electrics on my Ibanez. These look like a strong option.

No havent. But do have some experience of swapping pups out. I learned that you need as little gain in the guitar as possible, else you cannot rid the circuit of it. So I stayed away from high gain pick ups - but I appreciate they are required in metal etc - and fitted some Custom Shop 69s into my strat, that gave better mids and more EQ definition.

Whereas my playing partner put a Bare Knuckle super coil in his Tele; it had to come out after a few years, he could not get the guitar back to clean.

The luthier, who also maintains my guitar, builds guitars that often contain P-Rails. The clean sound is amazing, in my opinion, but take into consideration that I’m a beginner and that everything still sounds good to me. :slight_smile: I’ve tried these pickups on some of his guitars that are made of mahogany with flamed maple tops, plugged straight into Peavey Classic 30. For blues and classic rock, these sound like a dream, not too dark, warm enough. For doom and death metal, probably not so much.

2 Likes

Yeah we have a Peavey classic at my Dads place, not enough gain in it for metal, you probably need a pedal to raise it, the TC Electronic Dark matter at around £50 used should fix it for you.

Btw, those Tech21 Fly Rigs aren’t bad at all for easy all-in-one home practice solutions.

Not sure how much gain they have considering one half of them is a P90. They certainly sound like a really good option to give me the blues tone I want with options for some classic rock as well.

My thinking here is to upgrade my Ibanez to give me a great all round machine. It’s not far off already. I can then save my tokens for that B&G little sister which is more of a niche instrument.

What, are you saying the existing Ibanez pups are too powerful? Are they INF3 and INF4s?

Could be the right approach anyway, its what I did to a Strat and that was my go-to guitar before I bought a Tele :grin:

Sounds exactly what i want, thanks. More interested in Led Zepplin than Megadeath.

That build is very close to my Ibanez. Mahogany neck and body with a quilted maple top and a rosewood fretboard.

1 Like

Neither of those pickups I’m afraid. I think you’ve got the wrong guitar in mind.

here’s mine

and it lists the PUPS as Seymor Duncans (no detail)

they’re fine for rock but dont clean up brilliantly, especially when you wind the volume down. The electrics are probably the weak point of the guitar as well to be honest. Plus I’m not 100% sure if I like the set up of 2 volume’s, 1 tone. 1 volume, 2 tone asset up by G&L would be ideal. one controls bass, the other, treble.

Yes my bad, they were those on my RG.

I wouldnt mess with that guitar too much then; it makes them less saleable.

Seems like you have the same problem I did, too much gain actually in the guitar pups. Whereas, if you move it onto a pedal board, you can get back to ringing and less compressed cleans. This is the enemy compression.

There is a superb video from That Pedal Show in the interrelationship of volume, gain and EQ; I think its the most important thing I have learned. I will try and dig it out for you.

Anyways, Ive decided, no need to have a headache, you need a G&L Telecaster hardtail.

It was on the list :upside_down_face:

1 Like
2 Likes

Cheers I’ll look through that shortly.

Also thanks for shattering what I thought was a clear direction for my guitar collection. If I bought the Tele I’d have to sell that Ibanez I think. No issue with that so much I guess.

Sorry mate, well that Ibanez, although a delightful thing, is a metal head guitar with versatility. It doesnt sound like thats the stuff that really floats your boat. But it could have other uses.

Once you absorb that video, about guitar signal, I think things will be clearer for you. The S compresses your signal to the nines, and pushes out a lot of middle, whereas a blues tone is a far more delicate affair, and slightly scoopy in the mids.

In more shattering news you may want a Tele with coils rather than buckers with splits…[runs for cover]…but I’ll just shut the fck up.

1 Like

:rofl:

No problem. It’s all good stuff. The Ibanez is a solid guitar for sure but I agree, certainly more orientated towards metal / heavy rock. I’ve gone a bit soft in my old age.

One of these also caught my fancy.

I’ve nothing against single coils either to be honest. Provided you get a set that doesn’t sound too tinny.

1 Like