Guitars, Guitars and more toys that go with Guitars

Perhaps it could be Epiphone LPs made in Samick factory during the '90s? I can’t tell the difference between two good guitars but I heard one such (it was Epiphone’s version of LP Custom with one of those expensive, high output Gibson pickups) - that thing absolutely rocked!

When I went to buy my first electric guitar, I was so nervous and couldn’t hit two chords properly, so I pretended that I was buying it for a friend. :joy: The guy I was buying it from politely took it to show me how it sounds, what are the features, the state is was in etc. The first song that he started playing - Bleed the Freak. I knew I was onto something that very moment, I love Alice In Chains. I can actually play it now!

1 Like

Same - when I went to try the Fender the guy was brilliant in giving me all the specs and info but just stood there watching me (trying to) play and my fingers went to concrete I couldn’t play a thing. He must’ve of noticed so said - ill leave you to it - and as soon as he went my fingers loosened up.

Yeah l love AIC - im loving the new Jerry Cantrell solo album as well.

I don’t think so. They were definitely Strats / strat copies from memory but that’s not to say that other guitars from there shouldn’t be sought after as well. Not surprised to hear that an Epi with Gibson pups could cut it. I’ve been half toying with the idea of finding Gibson p90’s for my Tele.

I’d say just learn the chords first and then hopefully you can start to see how the other bits all build and fit with that basic chord progression.

1 Like

So I finally got into the pedal board build today.

1 Like

Here’s my pedal layout. Priority given to pedals that I will be switching more at the front with a heavy lean on what I can get to fit together. They will not be wired in that sequence.

I’ve also got room for mini tube screamer in there I think.

1 Like

And of course it fits in a little case for ease of carrying, storage etc. Slots cut for cable access too.

I need to get some lining carpet now to cover it and allow the pedals to stick down with Velcro.

1 Like

Board has now been carpeted ready for pedals and wiring which I’ll start this evening.

Keep 'em coming, mate! Can’t wait to see (and possibly even hear) the final product!

I’ve been thinking of buying a pedalboard such as Boss BCB-60 or something but I’m still in the process of actually buying some pedals. :joy: I think I’ve decided on overdrive (wanted Fulltone OCD but I’ve gone towards MXR ZW-44 - I generally avoid signature equipment but my friend lent me his and I can’t put it down, it just growls when put in front of OD channel) and I think that I will go for Big Muff Pi Deluxe for fuzz and ProCo RAT 2 for, well, I’ve always wanted to have a RAT just because, I simply love that sound. These three are probably overkill when put together in the same board but I love their individual signature sound.

By the way, with @koptician’s help, I’ve finally decided on a practice routine - I wanted to work on blues scale, string bending and alternate picking, so he pointed me towards certain instruction videos and finally pushed me towards making a list of songs that I would like to learn. I’m starting with ten Judas Priest songs, mostly mid-tempo ones and mostly from their earlier albums, and I’ll compile a list of ten songs from other bands. Tipton and Downing use a lot of licks that I associate with Jimmy Page, which Zakk Wylde, Slash, Hammett, Faulkner etc. later took to another level in terms of speed, so I thought I should start from there.

2 Likes

No problem. I’m just getting the tools out to see how far I can get on the wiring side of things. I’ve made 2 bad decisions though. First one was thinking that a tube screamer might be a good idea. That led me to looking at the Keeley Red Dirt which I’ve found second hand. I caved in.

second error was just having a casual look at what is out there on the Strat front. I stumbled onto an old bastard strat body with 80’s pick ups, 70’s pots and 90’s Japanese trem. Again tempting but I really should just get playing. Pretty tempting to build my own strat through, but necks dont come cheap either but but…
Decent pedal choices there. The RAT is tempting that’s for sure. For me a pedal board needs to be flexible. If that means lots of gain stages, then so be it. I’ve no shame.

Glad to be of service mate :grinning:

2 Likes

Arghh. Damn it 2 problems with the board.

1 can’t get the tuner to fit. Combo of the power inputs and the securing screws on the front of the Boss enclosure means no bueno.

2 no room for the incoming tube screamer mini. That will probably mean a review of the OD pedals. Not a biggy that one.

Testing next. The patch cable kit I’ve used doesn’t fill me with faith to be honest.

1 Like

Would some Polytune Mini model fit instead of Boss tuner? I’m trying to find one (hopefully a Noir version) but you can’t even bloody steal them here, they’re nowhere to be found, always out of stock…

I’m always amazed at how many pedals people use these days for just playing at home, that kind of stuff used to only come in to play once you were playing in a band for a while. No criticism, I love pedals as much as the next guy, so enjoy, just something I noticed.

1 Like

I didn’t have the intention to fiddle with any pedals until I became more confident with my playing but then I heard the sound of a RAT or a Big Muff on some albums or a YouTube clip and I realised I was too weak. :joy:

My wife is lucky that I don’t live closer to or in Germany - there’s almost nothing I can’t find on Kleinanzeigen in terms of guitar equipment, especially pedals. I really have to spend more time practicing and learning and less looking at ESPs/LTDs/Schecters/Japanese clones of Les Paul Custom.

1 Like

Yep,that’s the answer here. You can find polytunes second hand but I’m surprised at the cost of them.

Guilty. I’ve gone a bit daft on the OD front but there’s specific tones I’m after. Well that’s my excuse… Sorry motivation :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: They are: lots of David Gilmour tones, 80’s and late Gary Moore (blues), and then a general rock and or blues tone. I concede that I’ve still gone a bit silly. The equaliser is a necessary evil unfortunately. The amp and P90’s only guitar are really bassy without anything to tone them down.

1 Like

Ok all good news so far. The Crayon has been sacrificed for the Keeley Red Dirt tube screamer for now, but that will be under review. Tested everything and it all works. Two dodgy connections in the patch cables were rectified without any problems.

Next jobs are:

1. Full wiring tidy up and securing those wires to the underside in a tidy fashion.
  2. Swap that tuner out for a smaller one.
  3. Find somewhere in the house where I can play in peace
  4. Get playing again,
1 Like

Bought this today on a whim. It popped up on Facebook market place and I was planning to be passing. Zero provenance or idea what it is. A bit of research and I thought it was a Squire bridge and probably pups.

A £50 gamble which I thought was probably a bit on the high side.

Turns out to be a 3 piece ash body I think and the paint job is pretty sweet. Something to build on. But the hole through the neck heel should have served a better warning.

Weirdly it looks like the pickup routing has been enlarged by a 6 year old and the trem pocket has been fiddled with too such that the trem block is stuck on one side of the hole. That raises fears about nothing being square. It’s then been finished really nicely over all of it by someone that could actually paint. My gut tells me it was a kit body put together by someone clueless but had access to a painter. More work than I hoped but we’ll see. I might have plug and redrill holes I think.

Managed to lose a connection to the jack socket in my Tele so fixed that and took the opportunity to change the scratch plate at the same time. Looks better now, in my opinion anyway.

Onto the strat. It’s a Squire body unfortunately but we’ll go with it for now. I have a neck inbound so we’ll see how that fits.

Any pickup, tuners and bridge suggestions guys? This will not be stock.

1 Like

You live in UK, right? You could probably easily find Bare Knuckle pickups, they have all sorts of models and all are amazing.

As for tuners, Gotoh would be my choice. Looking forward to hearing other opinions, though!

1 Like