Homegrown Players

Who’ll be the registered homegrown players now ?

Goalkeepers: Kelleher*, Grabara*

Defenders: Gomez*, Alexander-Arnold*, Williams*, Phillips

Midfielders: Henderson, Milner, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Jones*

Forwards: Brewster*, Wilson*, Elliott

Copied from another site. Is that a problem if you let Wilson and Brewster go , or is there enough to meet the homegrown requirement ? I believe it’s 8 homegrown players in a 25 player squad. We might be pushing it a bit now especially with the likes of Lallana/Clyne leaving as well.

8 is the maximum in addition to the 17 spots that can be used for anyone. There is no minimum number of homegrown players.

2 Likes

Yeah I think a lot misunderstand the squad rules.

You’re allowed to register 25 senior players domestically and for European games.

Domestically 8 of those places can only be taken by senior players who have spent 3 full seasons at a club in the English football league’s system (which includes some Welsh clubs like Swansea and Cardiff for example) and if you have less than 8 such players you can’t list the full 25.

On top of this you can register as many under 21s as you like.

There’s a youth rule that I think applies to both domestic and European squad rules but it may just be Europe. That is if they’ve been at your club for less than 2 full seasons then, if you want to use them, they take a senior slot.

European squad rules also complicate things a little too. As well as having 8 places in the senior list only able to be filled by association trained players like above 4 of those places can only be taken by players trained by your own club. This means a lot of clubs don’t actually max out the full 25 man squads they are allowed in Europe.

Our current squad;

Notable under 21s; Kelleher, Grabara, Jaros, Alexander-Arnold, Williams, Hoever, Van Den Berg, Koumetio, Larouci, Woodburn, Jones, Elliott, Brewster.

Club developed; Gomez, Wilson, Awoniyi.

Home grown; Phillips, Henderson, Milner, Oxlade-Chamberlain.

Foreign developed seniors (maximum of 17 can be registered); Alisson, Adrian, Karius, Van Dijk, Matip, Robertson, Tsimikas, Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Keita, Grujic, Shaqiri, Minamino, Firmino, Mane, Salah, Origi.

At least one of the above now needs to either leave or not be registered and used exclusively with the under 23s with Thiago arriving. I still expect 3 of them to leave. Also a note on Elliott he will take up a senior role due to only being with us for one year so far. Same with Van Den Berg but hes just likely to be left off lists as he’s seemingly now behind Hoever and Koumetio in the pecking order and maybe Phillips too if he stays.

Open to edit out any mistakes I’ve made guys.

So the loss of Clyne and Lallana does hinder us from fielding the max allowed squad in the Europe ? What do we do to get over this ? Also there’s talk about selling Wilson , so that leaves us with only 6 club developed and home grown players out of 8 ?

No it doesn’t. Only the loss of a senior club trained player would do that.

I don’t believe we’re going to keep Wilson just so he can fill a club trained spot. Clubs very rarely have more than 22 or 23 senior spots filled in their CL squads.

2 Likes

Don’t think it’s that big of an issue. We have a full squad just some of them are under 21 so not on the senior lists. Unless we keep players who aren’t good enough to use or re-sign some of our ex academy graduates like Coady, Suso and Sterling there’s not a whole lot we can do about it till the likes of Jones, Trent (next year), Williams, Hoever etc become seniors.

1 Like

So this can be a viable squad

Foreign developed seniors (16) Alisson, Adrian, Van Dijk, Matip, Robertson, Tsimikas, Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Keita, Thiago, Shaqiri, Minamino, Firmino, Mane, Salah, Origi.

Home grown (3) Henderson, Milner, Oxlade-Chamberlain.

Club developed (1) Gomez.

Notable under 21s (5) Kelleher, Alexander-Arnold, Williams, Jones, Elliott.

For the CL Elliott would need to be included within the 17 for List A as he hasn’t been with us for 2 years. See our squad from last season…

[See post below, doesn’t need to be included within the 17 this season but still on List A]

Wouldn’t he count towards the association trained 4 players not the 17 none association trained players.

1 Like

Only if he’s been on the books of Fulham/Liverpool for 3 years since he was 15. He turned 17 in April. I’ll need to check whether the season in which a player turns 15 counts, in which case he can be one of those four.

Edit. Yes, season in which he turned 15 counts so this year he’ll take one of the 4 association trained spots on List A.

Till next season when he becomes a “free” choice and is replaced by Trent who will also be club developed increasing the number of seniors we can select by 1 and cheering up @Sithbare in the process!

1 Like

We have until 20 October to confirm our PL squad for the rest of the season. I believe we still need to shed one non-homegrown player? They’ll need to either not be registered or be sent on loan/permanent to an association whose transfer window remains open.

Realistically that leaves the following associations:

Switzerland until 12 October
Russia until 17 October
Croatia until 19 October
Portugal until 25 October
Japan (?!) until 30 October

There are a few more but they are even more tenuous than Japan so I haven’t included them.

1 Like

Grujic on loan solves the “too many” non home grown seniors issue now doesn’t it?

1 Like