Hook, line and sinker. The fishing thread

Got into some fish but didn’t get any into the boat. Some beautiful spots (Roche Lake and Tunkwa) although we are having an unseasonal late start to summer and got snowed on. Altogether a good weekend.

3 Likes

Alisson caught a big one recently. :clap:

Yep…fishermen…

that’s a sturgeon. we get 10ft+ ones here (that’s a young one in the pic) but I don’t fish them as they’re protected.

Salmon run is starting here. I got out on Sunday but missed the tide and ended up targeting some trout instead.

1 Like

Yeah thought it was…:upside_down_face::upside_down_face::upside_down_face:

Got out last Sunday for an afternoon of fly fishing for salmon. Unfortunately the coho were tight-lipped and the chinook were sitting in deep holes that are difficult to fish on a fly rod

We have been without rain for some time now and water levels are quite low (as you can tell by the picture half of the riverbed is exposed). The salmon are pooling outside of the mouth of the river waiting for the autumn rains to make their runs to the spawning grounds

1 Like

It would be a brave duck that swims atop the waters of that lake…

wow, that’s a monster! Haven’t has any success on my last 3 steelhead outings, but I did get a chance to try out my 13ft spey rod and I love it. wish the gear wasn’t so bloody expensive!

1 Like

Oof.i hooked a pike there once. In a boat by myself for the day. I was drifting in towards shore casting my fly etc. With a typical UK lake set up. Hooked into something solid that didn’t move, not an inch. It was weird as if I was snagged but I knew I wasn’t.

As my boat drifted towards it, it woke up, flicked its tail out the water revealing itself before taking off towards deeper water. No word of a lie, it spun the boat round, stripped the full fly line and into the backing in a few short seconds before my leader gave in with a clean slice through it. Never stood a chance. It decided it was going and off it went

I just kind of sat there for a moment, a bit shaky after that.

So yeah there are big, big pike in Chew. Some biggies in a lake local to me as well but I never really fish there. I should give it a go this season.

Have you guys watched the series River Monsters with Jeremy Wade?

Not yet… too busy doing the reviews of countless SK series for you :0))

I do watch this guys videos though he puts them quite regularly on youtube - The Ginger Fisherman

Check out some of his clips - the titles will give good direction of what’s in them

none of those fish out here. we have a decent sturgeon fishery about 30min away from me, but I don’t like fishing for protected species.

We’ve had a good steelhead season so far, lots of fish in the 12-15lb range which are pretty big for anadromous trout. I haven’t hooked one yet, going out again tomorrow in the projected snowfall.

Am hoping to go out to Winter Harbour this summer for the early chinook salmon run, family friend has invited me again and he usually gets into a good number of salmon, ling cod, halibut, etc.

this is more my thing.

It’s contrived. Well they all are but no ways is he catching the biggest specimen of the episode right in the nick of time every single time.

You guys are no fun :expressionless:

ha! I’ve had enough problems trying to land a 20lb spring salmon from a riverbed. I wouldn’t want to try anything bigger than that. because we’re river fishing, need to put an oz of weight on the line to get the bait down in the moving water quickly. But when you’ve got a 15-25lb baitcast rod flexed with a 20lb salmon on and it shake free, that oz of weight will fly back at you. it’s a scary experience to have that weight and the trailing hook fly back at you. Always reel back to the side…

1 Like

I know nothing about fishing, but you do make it sound a tad amusing. Anyway, the landscape photos you have posted are fucking amazing.

Two weeks ago

2 Likes