Hook, line and sinker. The fishing thread

2 Likes

Pics didn’t turn out well due to dark clouds, exposure time makes the water look blurry. It was 1°C and raining the whole day, snowed at one point

Am fishing this area

https://maps.app.goo.gl/3zLTE7ZetAZGLWVq7

Am learning spey fishing right now. 13ft rods, weighted lines and really interesting to cast. But no better way to fish 20-30m away from where you’re standing

Haha, I was fishing in the sticks miles from anywhere and had a big bass right on the surface about 3 meters away, still green and fighting hard so lots of pressure still being exerted. Rapala broke free and swung back catching me right in the face and neck with both trebles with both of them going in deeper than the barbs so… yeah.

Cut the lines, dabbed Dettol on it, fished for another couple of hours then drove back with this thing hanging off my face. Was interesting trying to explain to the nurse.

Did he jump onto some scales after that :0)

Not a lot more beautiful than a well executed Spey cast in slow motion .

it takes a long time to get to that point. a lot depends on the lines and the weight of your setup which I’m just getting the hang of now. but when a cast comes off nicely, it’s a great feeling.

Catching Pike with a Duck Lure :astonished:
This guys channel is worth a watch

interesting he’s fishing with barbed treble hooks. barbs are outright banned where I am, and treble hooks are only allowed in large lakes and salt.

He is in Minnesota in one of his videos… not sure if all his exploits are local to this though

fascinating that they make a duckling lure.

In a similar vein he uses a variety of Rat, Bird and a Frog as well…!
He has caught some big Bass with those

ever seen one of these?

Got out for some casting practice last Saturday, chasing steelhead. Starting to get a feel for the spey rod, but have a lot of work to do

1 Like

I’ve been watching this guy’s camping out videos for the past week or so and find them quite interesting. He obviously has a good personality that comes across in spades which also make it for easy watching… He has hundreds of fishing videos mostly set in Alaska which I will eventually get around to doing… and thought these might be of special interest to yourself being not too many mile away…
Youtube Channel - Outdoor Boys :+1:

1 Like

If you remember the movie The Revenant…that bear scene was filmed where I used to go camping every May long weekend (Victoria Day holiday). Squamish River.

1 Like

interesting. that’s a big fish, but stands to reason it’d sit there as food from up-river gets delivered to that pool at the end of the chute.

there used to be a salmon run that ran up the Fraser River through a section called Hell’s Gate… unfortunately due to over-fishing in years past and a number of rockslides blocking the river that run has greatly declined. However, some fish still make it though this run somehow. a massive volume of water goes through this section.

Hells Gate (British Columbia) - Wikipedia

:+1:

terribly fuckin sad state of affairs. bad enough for 100 years the US and Canada have fought over the fishery, but now the Chinese are running huge boats over and crossing into territorial waters to quite literally steal our catch and send it back to China. Same thing they’ve been doing all over the Pacific Rim, destroying the fisheries. Watch a docu called “Seaspiracy”.

but it all started with the white man moving into the mouths of the rivers with trawlers and netting millions of fish. the sockeye run has been decimated, used to be a millions of fish.