I’ll have a bitter please...It’s the Everton thread

Times are changing, and what was once accepted is now obviously regarded as unacceptable. Racist, homophobic, anti religious chants are a thing of the past, like Roy Chubby Brown and Bernard Manning etc.

And its only going to happen through education, awareness and a build up to respect and tolerance.

Because people try to articulate rationales for why these chants occur, they are blithely attached to the people chanting. Nobody is defending racism or homophobia, but there is a cogent argument in exploring just why they are happening. And then with that understanding maybe it can be erradicated.

But it has to be global.
Liverpool can be asked to condemn the behaviours of a few on Saturday, but the same standards must then be observed by everyone else.

4 Likes

[quote=“Quicksand, post:1655, topic:265, full:true”]

[quote=“Sweeting, post:1652, topic:265, full:true”]

Times are changing, and what was once accepted is now obviously regarded as unacceptable. Racist, homophobic, anti religious chants are a thing of the past, like Roy Chubby Brown and Bernard Manning etc.

Bernard Manning was a comedian of the times… While he could not make a living today telling the same jokes as he did back then… he could however, still be funny in a spontaneous way…

Remember he was being Interviewed by Parkinson once on the TV… Alongside Fanny Craddock, who for those that don’t already know, she was the Mary Berry or Delia Smith of her day.
It is an understatement to say that the pair of them definitely came from opposite sides of the tracks… her being all hooty tooty and majestic like, while he run his own working mans club, 10pints a night and 60 fags a day guy.
Anyway, all through the Interview, she was snapping and sniping at him, huffing and puffing at his laddish, uncouth mannerisms… While Parkinson, at the same time, couldn’t contain himself, he was reeling back and forth in his chair, rolling side to side with tears streaming down his face laughing at some of the things that Bernard Manning was coming out with…
The whole interview, 45mins or more, and Fanny Craddock held the same steely eyed, stone faced expression for the entire time… a combination of horror and dismay similar to one like she had just discovered that the cat had shit in her handbag…
So the show begins to get wrapped, Parkinson still giggling like a schoolboy struggling to get his words out, no doubt due to the facial expression of Fanny Craddock and the razor sharp wit of Bernard Manning… Then just before the credits start rolling, Bernard Manning looks directly into the camera and states… “Remember Folks, Always Make Your Donuts Like Fanny’s” pointing to her sitting at the side of him…!
Will never forget for as long as I live, the look on her face or Parkinson sliding out of his chair with laughter…
So if there is a moral to this story…
I guess what was acceptable yesterday, may not be as readily acceptable today, and people, whether we like it or not, have to change with the times also…!

2 Likes

This is exactly me.

I had no idea it was homophobic and now that I know it is I wouldn’t use it

2 Likes

I always interpreted a rent boy as someone that needed to prostitute (literally) himself out in order to pay rent (rent boy), ie, guys i don’t really want to be a prostitute, I just do it because I need to pay rent (I just strip because I want to pay for college, stripper saying). So used as justification to prostitute yourself out rather taking a lower paying job to pay rent (sometimes alternative jobs are not viable). Rent boys don’t turn down women clients, it’s just that 99%? of the clients are men.

As far as I know, in the wider context of the chant is that he is not being called a gay male prostitute, it’s more to do with his association with Chelsea where they have historically payed more money and the players have accepted the inflated wages over furthering their careers (prostituted themselves out), and Chelsea are fine with that rather than losing someone like Hudson-Odoi to Bayern. Hence the comparison to a rent boy, being a male whore (which in itself is a slur).

I’m not posting this to cause arguments, just how I have understood the interpretation.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t describe it as ‘outpouring of condemnation’. I was just pointing out that while the incident involving Liverpool fans has been widely reported in the media, I haven’t seen anything about the Everton fans and their Ancellotti death chant.

3 Likes

What is actually being reported is the club condemnation of the chants. Everton haven’t done this as they are either unaware or don’t want the bad PR.

As I said I’d rather the club say something than let it lie.

The reaction of some of their fans towards Rafa says all you needed to know. Some people treat rivalries in football like you’d treat murderers.

Clubs haven’t condoned fans enough for behaviour, yes we might get it in the neck but I’m glad we condone it rather than pretend it’s something unconnected like that shit on the Paris metrô by “Chelsea fans”.

Never like the use of the word scum and though I’ve probably slipped it in on occasions generally I won’t use it. Bitters though sums this lot up so well.

1 Like

Condemn rather than condone, perhaps?!

They have signed Andy Lonergan.

Who was the last player to “play” for both sides?

1 Like

Barmby?

Abel Xavier?

Then again play is a bit of stretch when it came to Lonergan, I think he did make the bench a few times.

Yeah probably Xavier

1 Like

Finally an upgrade on Pickford

3 Likes

Joseph Anderson and Tom Scully left Liverpool at U16 level and joined Everton a few years ago.

3 Likes

LOL.

good ol Sweeting…

i love this joint.

To be fair a point away at Leeds isn’t bad.

1 Like

Their insane good fortune continues. Dodgy as fuck penalty with Calvert-Lewin initiating contact, something he’s very, very good at, then a similar incident right at the end which could have seen Leeds given a pen totally ignored.
I genuinely can’t remember the last time a debatable decision went against them.

1 Like

And yet they still can’t finish higher than 8th

2 Likes

What Everton fans have been celebrating meanwhile… :laughing:

3 Likes