International Football

So far Robertson played 120 and 90 minutes with another match Wednesday. It will be for Nations cup against the Czech Republic and since he is the captain Steve Clark will probably play him for the full 90 minutes again.

That will be 3+ matches in 8 days, thank you very much you twat.

I get your point, but presumably everyone had to test negative before they were allowed to leave?

1 Like

Presumably yes, agreed. However,that test is not positive in the incubation phase, though please correct me if I am wrong.

Luckily Robertson kicked the ball away during the last game and got booked,he now misses the next game for Scotland against the Czech Republic on wednesday.

5 Likes

Robertson is banned after kicking the ball away and picking up a yellow, who is a clever boy.

7 Likes

Fantastic that lads got a good head on him.

As for Covid and Liverpool, is it worse than day parts of Spain at the moment or Paris.

To be fair looking at the reaction it seems itā€™s because Burnham kicked up a massive fuss that Manchester avoided a similar fate and was worse than Liverpool for weeks

1 Like

Cristiano Ronaldo tested positive. Story has a photo of him at a Portugal team meal, not a mask in sight. That whole team has been exposed now.

1 Like

Whew (for now)ā€¦

1 Like

Can they just not cancel it and he can come homeā€¦

4 Likes

Too early for that imo, remember incubation time for the virus is a couple of days, so you can test negative after you are actually infected as far as I understand.

To be fair, it was a picture of a team meal. I donā€™t think anyone at all wears a mask while eating. But I agree that they huddled together very closely and did not seem to fear the virus as much as they should.

I assume they test on arrival, so they thought they were clear. Frankly, I donā€™t really blame the footballers except where it is clear they contracted it by breaking the rules. International football sets them up for failure, it is a disaster. You take people from a wide range of places, concentrate them, put them on practice fields for a week, a game or two against a like group, then return them to original setting all in less time than a normal quarantine.

If I was a club owner I would be furious with FIFA/UEFA for not suspending internationals. Hard enough to sustain competition without such an obviously stupid risk

7 Likes

That 's a very fair point regarding increased risk when various groups congregate.
Everything is clearly incredibly sub optimal. Still, those international games are important for qualification purposes. I am not sure how to solve the risk in an acceptable way. Some federations will be much more professional than others, but there is of course the risk of a recently infected individual testing negative in the incubation phase.

1 Like

The Spurs player, Matt Doherty and James McClean, Stoke, have both tested positive. Also Elneny, Arsenal & Egypt. This was totally predictable, allowing players to go away on international duty. Madness.

4 Likes

Yeah, it looks like this is a major problem everywhere. The traveling, several different groups coming together, clearly increases risk more than I had hoped.
I suppose the airports themselves are maybe some of the most dangerous locations concerning aerosol infection.

2 Likes

Youā€™re so right. But this international programme is obviously driven by money, FIFA donā€™t care about the welfare of players or containing the spread of COVID-19.

2 Likes

Football in general is doing a good job of just deluding itself and everyone else that everything is fine and normal.

One of the things that pisses me off the most is the artificial crowd noise. Not only is it infantile and usually out of sync. The effect of it is that the viewing audience is denied the opportunity to apply that context to what they are watching. The players a doing their jobs in cavernous, empty, echoing stadiums. It has a huge impact on the game. Matches will feel more like training games or behind closed doors friendlies. I donā€™t think itā€™s up to the broadcasters to try and pretend to the viewer that itā€™s something other than this.

When the BBC intercuts nature documentaries with footage from captivity because itā€™s literally too dangerous to the animal and the human to film it wild, it gets dragged across the coals. Why should Sky get to pretend what they are broadcasting is something other than it is?

3 Likes

To be honest I find it odd without itā€¦

1 Like
2 Likes

The Premier League has confirmed 16 positive coronavirus tests among players and staff, which is the highest number of positive results since testing began. Time to null and void and give us the title. :sweat_smile:

1 Like
4 Likes