January Transfer Window 2023

I think they used to buy unproven South American a while back (Cicinho, Gago, Higuain), so that is not new for them when you consider they’ve added Vinicius and Rodrygo to their first team as well, though I agree that it is huge money to spend on a 16 year old. This kid must be something special.

1 Like

Just confirms how short my memory is! I can’t believe I didn’t remember Jović and Hazard after watching them at World Cup. I’d have all three of them down as flops there, to be honest, and some flops they were.

3 Likes

No one in Serbia can explain Jović’s transfer as well. It is said that his agent got one of the biggest commissions in world football for arranging that transfer, so I can only presume he was like “I’ll get both of us enough money for the lifetime if you sign, it doesn’t matter what happens with your career afterwards”. Real Madrid were so desperate to get him off the books that they gave him a free transfer to Fiorentina halfway through his contract, while retaining a 50% sell-on clause.

1 Like

Hopefully this means City have moved on from Bellingham.

2 Likes

If that’s true, then bloody hell… I kind of hoped we would get him for roughly what we paid for Konate.

1 Like

Hard to see United go heavy for him with their purchase of Martinez. Depends also what happens with them this season.

Chelsea’s interest obviously remains, but who knows what they manage to achieve this season and if Gvardiol is interested in their project.

Bayern also have two expensive CB’s who are still out there to prove their worth, both Upamecano and Ligt have not been impressive in recent times.

City are always lurking for a player like that, but then someone would have to leave. Ake or even Laporte.

Wouldn’t write Real or PSG, even if the latter probably won’t be it, I think they want more of a right footed CB (depends also which formation Galtier plans to use going forward, recently he’s gone more back 4).

The buyer will obviously need to have big money to spend and room or an important need of a LCB starter.

1 Like

Wasnt there rumours in the summer about Laporte leaving?

Apparently a player Brighton had been targeting so no surprise Chelsea are now keen on him.

1 Like

Another high priced creative bust at Atletico. I wonder if this shuts down talk of Felix moving on as well?

1 Like

On £62m a year. :flushed:

1 Like

Poor sod how will he manage on that pittance.

2 Likes

Just give up half the country why don’t you, the fucks the difference.

That’s probably how deals will be done in 10-20 years, players gonna end up having shares at the club.

1 Like

So Cristiano Ronaldo moves to a country which still stones people to death.

Pathetic.

I am 100% sure he’ll be back in Europe in the summer.

And go where?

You don’t go somewhere like where he’s going at his age, the latter end of his career and then come back to Europe.

Xavi Iniesta Higuain Matuidi Beckham Gerrard Pirlo Henry Chicharito etc

2 Likes

Sporting, two or three Italian clubs…

It’s Cristiano. As soon as he realizes that he is not in the middle of attention anymore he’ll look for a way back.

:joy:

A few clubs would have had him, a few sizeable clubs at that.

We know why he went there, you wonder why he needs it mind.

I assume money must be an addiction, I would like a bit more so I could do stuff but we are talking around 40k. Not sure why anyone needs the levels billionaires need and people like this.

3 Likes

I think this is far less about money than it is about a narcissist refusing to accept the effects of father time and the situation he has created for himself with that.

He treated the situation at Utd as if he was the 30 year old Cristiano and seemingly thought if he blew that up he would get a Juventus type move where a big club recognized their opportunity to land a key player and rolled out the red carpet for him. The issue is he is the last person on earth to recognize that he isnt that player anymore. So he blew up the sitaution at Utd then found himself backed into a corner with no where else to go. Im sure he could have got a move to a more relevant club, but that would have required him accepting his reality of playing a more limited role. And if he was capable of doing that he could have found a good situation at Utd to have done that. So now he’s found himself with only offers like this Saudi one to pick through he’s done the reasonable thing of at least making them pay him like a king.

2 Likes

I dunno someone would have offered him a contract, some owner who wants to look good. This lot have no doubt offered him a shedload.

Otherwise he could have sought an easier league, though MLS is probably an issue due to the allegations.