Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool Legend

You could choose to read it that way, I guess. Maybe it’s just my prior belief being really strong here, but watching the press conference, it seems as though he’s just frustrated with the injury situation. If anything, he’s happy that they’re back earlier than thought, but he also stated that they would only be able to train, rather than play minutes yet. The article also acknowledges that, but the headline portrays it differently.

You can watch it here, his part is from 22 minutes onwards.

Also, a random throwaway thought is that I’m really glad that he came from the lower leagues in Germany, and he still has the humility to enjoy European night like these, and not treat them as a given.

5 Likes

Unlike some of our own entitled supporters.

1 Like

Oh heck JK £30k…does this money go to various charities…as the England team pot does…?

What a weird piece. Naby is not back and Ox is not ready to start. This at a point where we have 1 game left, and one that doesnt even count.

3 Likes
3 Likes

I’m away to read the melt down on Blue Moon…

Stil reading? :joy:

1 Like

theres over 300 pages on Jurgen fine! :wink:

2 Likes

#rentfree

1 Like

"Another day where it proves they can do whatever the fuck they want"

said the supporter of the FFP cheating club…

Klopp fined less than a day’s pay - that’s one helluva deterrent”

said another,

yip…

it like a state owned/backed club been fined 16M for breaking FFP rules,

thats one helluva deterrent…

6 Likes

I think the some of the money should be used to pay for eye tests and buying copies of the premier league laws of the game for the officials from our recent game against City. :rage::nerd_face:

8 Likes

The money should go to the local food banks of the team in question
Not as though the PL need it eh

10 Likes

What a good idea…

1 Like

Thing was the rules on surrounding a ref regarding VAR are quite clear and the Man City dug out on mass tried to influence.

They should be getting a fine

6 Likes

For them? It’s just fine.

And still nothing on the off the ball incident with Silva.

3 Likes

Thinking about it, I think where we are now and the midfield problems we have I’d be looking at the Thiago signing as the root cause. Thiago is a worldclass player don’t get me wrong, he is one of the best passers of the ball I’ve seen in my lifetime of watching football…

The problem is he arrived at 29 and is what I’d consider injury prone i.e. He misses a lot of games per season.

This also was the first real time FSG ignored their own strategy and brought in a player outside of the normal age range, on a very high salary.

You combine all that with us re-designing our entire tactical structure to allow for Thiago (i.e. moving away from a workhorse, industrious midfield and our fullbacks as the creative force) to a more possesion based one (not saying this evolution), we have backed ourself into a corner.

1. When Thiago doesn’t play our structure looks lost, we play turgid no direction football and Thiago is available for around 50/60% of our games. This is a huge problem, the drop off to any other player is huge in terms of ability and team performance.
  2. We didn’t invest in a player who would be hitting their peak around now (so signed at 22-24) so when Henderson started his decline we don’t have a midfield of 31, 32, 28 as first choice in a midfield which is meant to be our engine.

Why post this in the Klopp thread? It could be in a number, FSG especially.

I think the Thiago signing, Milner and Henderson extending (if you read reports this caused a huge rift between Edwards who said he should be let go and Klopp who wanted him to stay)… Klopp’s loyalty has been a big factor in our decline, this is highlighted again with Klopp retaining loyalty in his midfield 8 (including Keita/Ox) and being very prickly about reinforcing the midfield the summer just gone when we sat on our hands again.

You could argue if Mane hadn’t pushed to leave, would we have the same issues in an attack which hasn’t been refreshed?

We should never be out ran by any team, ignoring this is pretty stupid. 11km Leeds ran more, thats like playing with an extra man for 90 minutes… We’ve also been out sprinted 11 times this season. It’s a shocking decline, whatever the reason - Fatigue/Burn out or lack of effort again how has our much aclaimed sports science team had this happen on their watch? Top to bottom our club has allowed us to sleep walk to this point where it’s hitting crisis and only signnificant investment fixes it… I worry FSG don’t have that in them.

Now before the pile on about how dare I question Klopp, I love the man and all the joy he has brought me and others. His staunch loyalty is a double edged sword and has been key to our success, so he needs other strong personalities to point out when it’s going the other way. He is 100% the man to lead us out of this dark place, but he also isn’t without fault and reflection needed.

Hopefully yesterday was a watershed moment and we are making firm plans to refresh the midfield, the problem now is we need 3 players, rather than 2 if we’d been proactive the summer just gone.

I understand it’s not just easy to sell players like Ox / Keita, but other clubs do it without sentiment… That’s what was needed, even at a price we didn’t want… There is a collective need for ruthlessness, pragmatism and willingness to spend over the next two windows.

3 Likes

He was playing yesterday.

‘Our best player is the root cause of our problems’ is a tough sell for me. Of course we should have got 1-2 younger midfielders in to support him. Don’t think anyone is debating that

1 Like

Our major issues in midfield is the lack of fit options to rotate.

He was very poor yesterday first half, a lot of uncharacteristic missplaced passes.

Honestly, it’s not Thiago as a player I’m saying is a problem, as I said he is an exceptional player… It’s everything else that he as a signing represented started.

Look at the age profiles of our midfield we have 1 player who is in the 24-27 range i.e. peak and that’s the ever injured Keita. Otherwise it’s 28, 31, 32 and then 19, 21, 20. That’s really poor planning and recruitment to leave us so exposed.

4 Likes