Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool Legend

Hmmm.

“Either the manager’s position changes or a lot of other things change,”

That’s why it is even more amazing that the phlegmatic Gakpo is here, that money should be spent on the midfielders while Jones or Carvalho could have taken over the Diaz/Jota job for the time being IMHO.

1 Like

That or perhaps we need to get rit of Ox and Keïta first payroll wise, just saying.

When have FSG ever willingly put the money up? Everything from them is reactionary.

Fsg making 250m available for transfers in the summer but are skint now. :smile::smile:

He’s been here two fucking games. Give it a rest.

5 Likes

No, I will not, who are you to tell others what to do.

2 Likes

You are getting on peoples tits with it even if you are proved right

4 Likes

Mind you, it’s better than hearing endlessly about Adrian, or whoever they’re picking on at the moment…

It is how it is, I see other players getting far more stick on this forum than I’m giving Gakpo and it seems nobody is bothered perhaps because they agree.

I know this guy and he has a reputation for not showing up in games when it matters most, so far he has done nothing except play it safe as I would have expected. Occasionally he will have a good match but that money should have gone to midfield and play Jones and Carvalho in his place until Jota and Diaz are back.

If people don’t like that opinion scroll along or there is always the ignore button. :sunglasses:

We have got to stop this absurd notion that Liverpool’s capacity to spend money is tied to how wealthy FSG or John Henry is. Billionaires don’t throw their money away. Money lavished on clubs by philanthropic owners is always in reality put on the club as debt.

Liverpool will, and should, exist within its means, and the last five years have proved that if the club is smart, and if the various parts of the club work in harmony, then we can compete for everything. ‘Within its means’, means the money we can bring in through commercial activity, TV money, Transfers and so on. But it also means the capacity of Liverpool FC to obtain and service debt.

The criticism of FSG should be about the appetite for risk and their willingness to put the club into short term debt to fund transfers. That’s an interesting debate. But the idea that John Henry should be ‘putting his hand in his pocket…’ is childish nonsense.

So on debt then, where are we? My speculation follows, but I think a lot of this is fairly watertight. FSG are traditionally risk adverse and don’t like the idea of exposing the club to too much debt. As John Henry literally made his money making decision around risk management, I think his opinion is worth backing here, but I totally understand that some teenagers on Twitter think they know better.

Alongside this we had a global pandemic to factor into decision making, and while some clubs (notable Spurs and Everton) borrowed heavily to allow themselves to spend on transfers as normal, I totally understand and support FSG and Klopp’s (he will have been involved in this) decision to not go down this route.

We also need to remember that the more successful this squad is, the more they cost us in terms of wages and bonuses. When people complain about missing Champion’s league money and so forth, it is going straight to the squad in bonuses and payouts.

This is what I think happened. I think FSG and Klopp had some decisions to make at the start of the pandemic about what to do and how to react. Just for context there are a couple of things people forget. Firstly at the time of football disappearing, we were something like twenty points clear at the top and looked imperious. Secondly we had no idea when things would get back to normal, and stadiums would be able to reopen. I think FSG were looking at potentially 100s of millions in lost stadium revenue (I think it ended up around 100-150m) and considering how to cover this. They were looking at borrowing to cover this, but were reluctant due to the money already on the club to cover the stadium redevelopment and the training ground. So I think FSG and Klopp decided - and I think not unreasonably - that this squad was good for 2-3 years with minimal investment. We could tighten our belts and get through it without further borrowing.

Now, we can sit here in hindsight and say that this was overly cautious, or that the appraisal of the squad was too rosy. But I’ll always be sympathetic to that kind of decision making. FSG and Klopp did not have a crystal ball.

This is why I think talk of a £200m investment in the squad is not fanciful. Most of that infrastructure debt is serviced. We’re through the worst of the pandemic and we can be sure that revenues are going to be OK, at least in the short-medium term. We’ve got a handful of high earners coming off the books this summer. And I think the frugality of the last few years, will have given the club a lot of flexibility both with finance and FFP (if that is even a fucking thing anymore)

John Henry doesn’t need to put his hands in his pockets. No owner is ever going to do this. But Liverpool are now probably in a position to comfortable borrow the upfront costs of a squad rebuild.

(Sorry that turned into a bit of a essay)

10 Likes

I thought the emoji’s were a giveaway. :roll_eyes:

it is boring tbf. Every thread. We get it, you don’t like him.
Seems strange to me as I would absolutely love to see a fellow countryman on the Liverpool team

1 Like

In regards to Gakpo, your repeated negativity is ƒ°©∆¡~g annoying though for all others in this forum. The player is now with us, and no yelling from you will ever change that.

How about leaning back a bit, supporting the lad and hoping for the best outcome? Out of respect for your fellow posters, I’d strongly advise you to do that. If you won’t do that, keep at least your gob shut for a while on this topic please, especially in threads who have nothing to do with it.

8 Likes

The only point you have is to be on topic although being off-topic is no problem on other subjects or posters …

Btw, gob shut …

Unnesasery rude and you know that your whole post was condescending but I get it, that Mascott never liked me is no big secret and no problem, there is not much love lost from me for him either but until now you hide your dislike nicely …

Always good to know were people stand.

I like ya Dutch… Not everyone is a hater :0)

1 Like

Yeah I know. It’s more that your post was a jumping off point for a big rambling download.

You kidding?