Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool Legend

https://twitter.com/OutOCLFC/status/1779212380401979897

:joy:

Without either of the big two prizes it felt more than a little hollow. The reason we failed at the last hurdle, and dropped the season after, is precisely because Jurgen hadn’t refreshed the team and instead stayed loyal too long to non performers.

3 Likes

And quite possibly the reason we got to the last hurdle in the first place is because of the togetherness and spirit Klopp’s loyalty to his players created.

5 Likes

We’re not guaranteed to be in CL finals or challenging for the league. These things have to be worked for by the manager, staff, players, and, even supporters.
We have been blessed to see a golden period in the history of the club and it’s unlikely to continue. Klopp is, without doubt, in the triumvirate of greatest managers we’ve had in my lifetime.
His successor will have a very difficult time following him.

2 Likes

We lost the league to the PL’s biggest perennial cheating club. No other team would have challenged like we did. For me, its the biggest dissapointment in being a Liverpool supporter. That cheating prevails and the clean performers come second. City are Ben Johnson on millions.

No shame on Klopp or the players in losing as they did.

5 Likes

And with the refs on their payroll as well.

2 Likes

Calm down. A lot of people care about “American football.” Don’t get your panties in a wad because you don’t like it.

My panties are gorgeous and sexy, not twisted, bunched or in a wad thanks very much.

I’m pissed because Jurgen having to do such pointless media for a no mark in a sport that is played in one country - clue is in the name, bud! - and just doesn’t matter is exactly the sort of thing that contributes to him burning out.

Think Klopp changed his idea about football since the 21/22 season and the whole thing hasn’t been good enough ever since.

Tactically bad. No intensity. No dominance.

If Klopp were to stay he’d probably would have needed some new input like when Buvac was replaced with Pep.

We’ll never have a better human being and man manager again but glad the football will change next season.

That’s how I feel after this week or basically after many performances this season.

5 Likes

I think that feeling is more prevalent than many will care to admit.

It’s why I was so vocal in wanting a strong Sporting Director like Paul Mitchell, someone who could challenge the manager on player performance, tactics, number of injuries, fitness, and transfers.

I look at our transfers post Edwards:

Nunez, Carvalho, Ramsey, Gakpo, Szoboszlai, Gravenberch, Endo, MacAllister.

I think maybe with the exception of MacAllister, none of the above might’ve actually happened, or we would’ve haggled a lot over the fees, and eventually moved on.

If Edwards had remained, or we’d appointed a strong SD to replace Ward immediately, I think things would’ve been better in 22/23, and maybe better this season too in terms of personnel, balance within the squad, and energy levels.

I understand that with Klopp’s success, it naturally meant he could command more power and influence, but the Gakpo signing in particular sent alarm bells ringing, when that was one position no one was calling for in January 2023 (given we’d spunked a load on Nunez 6 months earlier), but rather a midfielder. Then there were the strong rumours going around before that about Henderson’s deal, and how Klopp had supposedly succeeded in getting him the new contract (far too long), while the higher-ups either wanted rid, or a shorter contract to facilitate a succession plan for our now former captain.

Can Richard Hughes ensure we don’t go back to a muddled strategy where the managerial influence powers through? It’s actually good we have Edwards at the top, who has been through this, and will ensure the process trumps above all.

Klopp within a solid structure, without the increased influence and responsibilities, and I think he, and us, would’ve been much better off.

1 Like

its an interesting take and it also feels a bit …off…in some ways to discuss it… i wont use the word disrespectful, but it feels out of place to discuss it in some ways…because it doesnt actually need to be discussed as hes leaving in a few short weeks, it can be filed in one of those ‘difficult conversations we dont have to have’ files…(for me, i mean you can do anything you like obvs.)

like most things Klopp has done in his time here though, hes probably picked the right moment…

he leaves with us in a good place and he still seems full of enthusiasum for the current task at hand…

9 Likes

It’s concerning how many people quickly turn to the most outrageously pessimistic outlook the moment we lose a game.

8 Likes

We are two points off the top, with a cup in the bag.
I wonder what is so wrong with how the club is being run?

The blip of last week has become the standard for the season, and it really isnt.

I think the conversation is uncomfortable because essentially it really accurate.

1 Like

its a remarkable achievement

but it does have the feel of a ‘last dance’ to coin a phrase…Jurgens pretty much confirmed hes running out of steam, and maybe thats translating in performances…

i understand the point, im not focussed on it at all, just enjoying every last minute of his reign here

1 Like

Too much is been made out of running out of steam other than the Atlanta which was a general shit show game a bit more composure in front of goal in he United and Palace games would have totally changed the narrative.

4 Likes

I don’t think it is energy that is lacking, the obvious anomaly is our finishing, however, our shape defensively has been off and we are conceding too easily and if it wasn’t for the keeper we could have and should have shipped more goals.

Saying all that, apart from the Atlanta game, we should still have won all the games with the chances we have had.

3 Likes

I find this an incredibly overdramatic take, verging on disrespectful.

We haven’t been tactically bad and lacking in intensity all season. Just 3 weeks ago we were top of the league, had won a cup and still in 2 other cups. No other manager could have got the results Klopp did with a bunch of kids (through his tactics and intensity!)

We’ve just had a shitty few weeks. Even then there have only been 2 games where tactics and intensity were potentially the issue. In the other 2 we were entirely dominant, it was simply down to poor finishing.

Be careful what you wish for.

8 Likes

I think Szoboszlai probably would have happened because we have already missed all of our key targets (chiefly Bellingham) before turning to him.

Gravenberch, Gakpo, Endo and Nunez transfers, OTOH, would have been butterflied away.

Gravenberch was a player that it was reported (Mel Reddy) was on a list of three at the club with Bellingham and Tchouameni. We’d been tracking him for a while.

Endo was assumed to be a nod from Schmadtke, but he said it had little to do with him.

Gakpo feels a lot like an analysis signing, the kind of signing that we’ve done before - feels like we don’t need him, but becomes available and we pounce. Like Wijnaldum, Diaz, Ox etc. I don’t very much Klopp was gunning for him.

Nunez is the one I’m not sure able, just because I’d previously heard a journalist saying he wasn’t rated by the scouts. But there is obviously a high chance that’s bollocks.

But what I’m trying to say here is that we’re don’t know who signed who or was the driver for which signing. It feels like a pointless, and slightly disrespectful, discussion.

Especially as the idea that the club would spend tens of millions on a player without it ticking multiple boxes is fanciful, to the point of being ridiculous.

4 Likes

Szobo and Mac were brilliant signings. Gakpo, Nunez and Grav have shown enough potential to not give up on them yet. Endo has fitted in seamlessly and been a great stop gap. I’d say that’s probably an above average hit rate

7 Likes