Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool Legend

They’ve been pretty frank about that, but felt it his responsibility to go again to put the team in a better position to pass onto the next guy than it would have been had he left at the end of last season.

What are the incidents you are referring to from the summer though? I don’t recall anything.

There were a couple of things. He swore at a fan (and apologised afterwards) and then lost his rag when the fans were singing I Feel Fine. It was in August and he just seemed uncharacteristically tense.

3 Likes

Exactly. Why create a load of scandal and conspiracies when it’s plain to see that he was simply exhausted.
It’s hardly a surprise when you think what he’s had on his plate for the last eight and a half years.

9 Likes

Well … no.

I think it was clear at the end of last season that he and the team were running out of steam or whatever else they use power the thing. It seems to me that Klopp was aware of that and may even have considered calling it a day then but chose to give it one more go.

To get as much as he did out of the team this season was more than anyone expected, but on the other hand we could and should have been in three cup finals this season.

Anyway, a new era begins. I’m pretty sure Slot won’t turn out to be another Hodgson, but I doubt if he’ll be Klopp Mk. II. Hopefully he’ll be at least Rafa Mk. II.

2 Likes

Paisley Mk2 would suit me.

6 Likes

Its worrying, and we never get to know, but accepted he looks bolloxed.

But did it coincide with the club selling the spine of the midfield in the same week?

The spine of the midfield as in Fabinho and Henderson? First off, their departure was beneficial for the team and second it was Joyce, I think, that said that both of them pushed their way out. The club did not flog them off.

I don’t understand why you can’t accept Klopp’s own words anyway.

4 Likes

Because behind words there sometimes is a reality that suits to be concealed. I believe Klopp, at a certain level, but Im now suspicious of the owners, interested to see how much he was plastering over for them.

But its not that far away to wonder if his exhaustion was a secondary to other problems. If you are already tired and lose the entire midfield, its going to smart a bit, isnt it?

But not always.

Klopp has more than earned enough respect from me that I am happy to take him at his word. He needs to recharge and has been running on close to empty. I can accept that. Top level football is a pressure cooker, and it never stops.

Of course there would have been little wrangles along the way for Klopp, whether that was with day to day colleagues, or people above him on the board, or even ownership. But that’s all par for the course.

If anyone has worked anywhere for 9 years and held any level of responsibility, you will have some stories you could tell, and some times when it was tough, and you had to lick your wounds. The stories might be about the people under you, or over you, or the budget, the competition, or whatever. It’s all normal fare and it won’t be any different for Klopp.

But in the grand scheme of things it’s just tittle-tattle.

He is an exceptional leader, and his time at Liverpool has run its course because he needs to recharge. Best of luck! And I love the images of padel in Majorca and so on. Enjoy it all boss.

Next up Arne Slot. A man on the up, full of energy and ideas, and eager to get going in his new role at Liverpool. Bring it on.

3 Likes

I reckon he’ll be better

This based on hindsight, but I think Klopp had made his mind up towards the end of last season and I think it coincides with the announcement that we wouldn’t be pursuing Bellingham anymore. I always found it strange that we announced we were pulling out of any potential deal.
At the time it was announced that he was out of our price range, expected cost over £100m (Madrid paid £88m rising to £114m on £220k a week), yet we offered £111m for Caicedo (wage reported as £150k a week). I appreciate we ended up getting good money for Fabs/Hendo that probably wasn’t expected but if you think we put the bid in for Caicedo after signing Mac/Slob then we surely had the money for Bellingham.
One of Klopp’s great characteristics is his human connection and honesty. Now, I know I maybe forcing 2 + 2 together, but part of me believes that Bellingham wanted to work with Klopp, however, Klopp could not guarantee his long term position to Bellinghams entourage.

4 Likes

That would be very disappointing but I think Jude just always wanted to play for Real and probably thought he was good enough to go straight there rather than elsewhere first.

2 Likes

Maybe so, I guess we will never find out. I just found it strange how we pulled out of the deal, pretty much ‘announcing’ it, citing cost. Then go and sign Macca £35-55m, Slob for £60m and then offered over £100m for Caicedo.
Having one of Jude’s good friends in the squad - in TAA, Surely, he would have been asked.
I get that players change their minds, get swayed at the last minute but it was us who stated we couldn’t afford him, it made us look stupid. Openly pursuing a player for how long? to then come out and say, “actually, hang on, he is a bit pricey”.
To be clear, I am not saying that what we have been briefed by the club is wrong, or what I speculate is true. However, I can imagine Jude’s party, before signing a 5 year contract, would have asked Klopp about his intentions. Klopp may not have made his decision to leave at this point, but being an honest man he most likely gave no assurances.

I see what you are saying but I think it’s a stretch - I’m not sure that Jurgen “maybe not being there for the long-haul” is really something that would sway too many players. Jude preferred Real and basically we needed to try and get him 1 or 2 years earlier unfortunately Klopp didn’t want to ‘piss off’ Dortmund.

Bellingham was really in a no-lose position. He could pick Real Madrid, and know he could spend 5,6,7 years there, and still come back to England in his prime. He could’ve picked us, and still moved to Real Madrid in the prime years of his career.

I think we were caught out with how much our midfield fell off a cliff in the 22/23 season, and the work required. Personally, I thought the signs were starting to show in the quadruple chasing season, where we ran out of steam in the second half of most of our games, but still managed to win. Nevertheless, that meant we had to spread our funds across 2-3 players, rather than the crowning jewel in Bellingham.

So I do believe Klopp was telling us the truth about us needing to spend for several players, compared to one big player. However, I also believe the fanbase was strung along a bit with the constant Bellingham to LFC stories, when it was likely decided far earlier that we weren’t going to go all out for him.

Klopp has spend his entire life in football and has been paid very well over the years. I’d believe him when he said, he wants to live a “normal life” and hopefully he can find that.

5 Likes

The event tonight - any chance to see it ?

4 Likes

What a truly wonderful man he is.

2 Likes