Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool Legend

I think it was the wrong move taking Thiago off for Jones. He was playing well and we seemed to lose a bit of control and then chaos ensued. I seem to remember, I think it was against City, he brought Jones on and we immediately conceded a goal

That was after taking Jones and Thiago off. Jones started vs City and was playing well. Happened another time in that period too.

I don’t know if Klopp is trying to manage Thiago’s game time or what but we are clearly better with him on the pitch most of the time. I’m not sure what’s going on there.

2 Likes

Sorry, my mistake, it’s an age thing. You’d think at this stage of the season, we’d need his experience on the pitch, not sitting on his arse, when we’re trying to see the game out. A strange decision for me.

I think Klopp would definitely have observed that and Thiago is a world class proven player. It definitely can’t be tactical, has to be with fitness and managing his minutes surely. Doubt even Thiago is someone who would want to be out when the team needs him.

I personally don’t get this, Gini looks like he’s running in treacle wearing diving boots…

Thiago even at walking pace would dictate the game and stop us losing it. Everytime I’ve seen Thiago come off he’s looked unimpressed.

3 Likes

It seems odd, but there’s probably some reason behind the scenes with his fitness we are probably not aware of. He’s also known to be a injury prone player and with him having covid earlier it could be a factor.

It cannot be that Klopp doesn’t give him 90 so often and even doesn’t start him against Madrid when he’s probably the best we have in the mid right now, without there being some sort of fitness concerns.

1 Like

It was just a poor sub, you take off your most influential player who is dictating the game for a 20 year old coming back from injury who was clearly not match fit and rusty.

Why not Ox? Or Keita at least they have some minutes in their legs. Baffling sub.

2 Likes

I agree with Thiago, however he struggles a little bit defensively but only when the game is stretched, but then again he keeps the ball better than our other midfielders whilst also trying to be progressive.

I said this after the RM defeat but it fits here too. This situation we find ourselves in is as much on The Boss as it is the players. We’ve had 3 absolutely brilliant seasons with Jürgen’s preferred “small squad”, and using the same tactics. Many of these players are ground into dust, and there’s very little new ideas or creativity. They’ve been hearing the same messages. As @Limiescouse eloquently put it last week, the magic has gone. I could not agree more. Many of our boys look lifeless. Several times in the match today we had literally 5 players standing flat footed and static around the box.

The Boss has to prove he’s capable of rethinking certain ideas and evolving as a leader and manager. Again, just my humble opinion but I simply don’t think he’s been that great this year, on and off the pitch. From day 1 of the season.

The personnel is in need of a major refresh and reboot, and Jürgen has to show a willingness to adapt and adjust. He’s very rigid in his approach. Most great managers are, but the greats also know how to adapt their philosophies to work in adverse times.

2 Likes

The one contradictory thought I do have in relation to what I just posted is that we are still creating scoring chances but the forwards are just so wasteful. And it would be nice if we could count on a goal from midfield every now and again.

As someone else pointed out in the post match thread or even this thread, our form and point total since January has been woeful.

1 Like

Where is Curtis. Probably our player of the season with Mo tbh. Hasn’t started in ages. Surely better than Gini. Like even if he’s not, Gini is leaving. Focus on the future

1 Like

He came in as sub last night.

No I seen that but like he hasn’t started in ages. He was playing well I thought? Surely warranted a start over Gini or Millie

1 Like

He was just returning from a muscle injury if I recall correctly

1 Like

Exactly, and if I see any murmurs of any of them angling for a move this summer to play champions league football I’ll drive them to the airport myself and kick them onto the plane. We have no-one to blame for ourselves.

1 Like

As @KofiJ99 says, he has just returned from injury.

1 Like

Will say this the performances since Wolves had been back to something approaching our best.

Yesterday should have been a repeat of Palace, at a point we were creating nothing, that’s been solved, problem now is we eithier put them wide, hit slowly or take so much time they make something piss easy like that Mane tap in a mess.

And what’s odder is they all seem to be smiling after it.

I think that’s embarrassment.

1 Like

Maybe Firmino just permanently smiles

3 Likes

That’s because they can’t believe how ridiculously bad their own finishing is. It’s a natural reaction.

1 Like