Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool Legend

Anyone who thinks chanting “rent boys” at Chelsea players and/or fans isn’t meant to be homophobic either has no clue or is lying.

I’ve known of its intended meaning for decades, pretty much from the moment I first heard it, and it hasn’t exactly been a secret. Just remember the gesture Fowler did towards Graeme Le Saux.

fowler

2 Likes

I agree with your point, but I thought the Le Saux stuff stemmed from homophobic jibes within Chelsea’s own dressing room. Also not condoning Fowler, just saying it was not just because Le Saux was a Chelsea player unlike with Gilomur.

Sure, but it was the particular association with Chelsea that really brought out the abuse.

The offensive chant has been around for as long as I can remember. I don’t know when it started (possibly before I was born) but for as long as I’ve been following football its offensive nature has been clear.

Edit: seems it originated in the 80s.

3 Likes

You sound like my mother.

My old man had laser eye surgery a couple of years ago, and after a week or so she sent my dad off to the opticians to buy some glasses with non-prescription glass just so she didn’t need to look at him spec free.

:sweat_smile:

3 Likes

It’s his iconic look isn’t it. But whatever he feels comfortable.

Ironically those who have to have it later life seem to like glasses so I read, probably something to do with childhood.

3 Likes

As someone who wears specs, especially before I got contact lenses 20 years ago, there was nothing worst than being outside when its raining or cold and you have specs on - your vision always ends up blurred by fog/steaming up, or by the raindrops.

The weather is mostly pissing it down, with spells of light showers here, so it probably suits him not wearing specs and being able to see what’s going on on the training pitches or during games.

Glasses Reaction GIF by Not So Fast Media

2 Likes

It’s probably about wearing masks with specs. It’s a fucking nuisance. I imagine he has to mask up A LOT as well as transferring from outside to indoors regularly so it makes complete sense he’d bin the glasses if possible.

8 Likes

Yeah I’ve not worn mine so much since lockdown due to the mask thing.

I need them for distance mind and I’ve not been anywhere really :rofl:

3 Likes

So, it was you @rupzzz who asked Klopp to switch from glasses? :man_facepalming: Why my friend, why??? What would you do to him next? :thinking:

Tammy earrings :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Pogba hairs :expressionless:
Icardi tattoos :cold_face:

Or those trousers that shows half the ars…

Scared Oh No GIF by Boomerang Official

2 Likes

I am trying to get used to Jurgen without glasses, he looked really suave in them. He would have been a great asset for Specsavers and he looks abit podgy. I am sure he will burn it out off once the season is in full swing.

1 Like

Also asked for Harvey Elliot to get shot of the bin bag knot he had.

1 Like

Anti vaxxers in Ireland valling people who take the vaccine “sheep”…its fucking offensive. No place for it.

Right wing numbskulls in Dublin chanting “paedo” when Michael D Higgins name is mentioned by their crass leader. Its incorrect and offensive. No place for it.

Arsenal fans calling Liverpool people rat eating bin dippers. No place for it.

No place for racism, homophobia, anti religious bigotry, no place for any community, marginalised or not, being subject to abuse.

No need to call anyone a snowflake because it suddenly suits a narrative.

40 years ago people laughed at Bernard Manning and Jim Davidson. Racism and homophobia were rife amongst the Dick Emery and Benny Hill brigade. People laughed, that was of its time. No defense.

But was everyone that laughed a racist? Or homophobe?
Was everone that chanted Rent boys to Chelsea a homophobe?

Or are we just better educated and aware today?

4 Likes

So this is an educational moment. We’ve been called out on it and it needs to stop.

3 Likes

I agree, but it has to be all around then.

However I genuinely dont think society is willing. I think we live in a world that knows what is wrong, but a lot of people really don’t give a flying fuck to be honest.

1 Like

Why does it? Since when is it OK to say “I’m only going to stop being a cunt when everyone else stops being a cunt”?

11 Likes

Just because society says something is no longer acceptable doesn’t mean people have to follow that belief.

Unfortunately that’s the way some people are

And that’s why those of us who aren’t intolerant need to educate those that are as to why these things are offensive and advocate for inclusivity for all.

1 Like

Interesting read, this thread. Emotionally charged times. Everyone fighting on the internet.

When I was a boy, my mother was a member of CDU, Christian Democratic Union. DDR was at odds with the philosophy and Stasi at one time spread hateful leaflets that basically said any male that was CDU would be assumed homosexual and would be put in jail or detained. Stasi treated same sex couples as a threat to the well being of society. Literally the threat of physical violence or detainment for same sex interest.

I never would have imagined on that chilly night in 1989 November when the wall was coming down and most of us never had to worry about being beaten simply for lifestyle choices, that 30 years later we would be arguing and fighting on computers to liberate those at football matches who still feel the imprisonment and oppression of same sex interest.

We evolve to devolve.

4 Likes

You got me wrong there.
My view is that intolerance needs to be educated out of society as a whole. I just don’t see an appetite for thst education as there are too many agendas at play.

2 Likes

Very well said. No truer words ever spoken.