Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool Legend

Jesus Christ.

Luis Diaz is the player they wanted. If there is a player they want, I would rather they wait for him rather than sign any other fucker earlier.

By the same logic, we should have binned off waiting for the greatest defender in the world and just signed someone else?

On the price, that’s what was quoted in the summer as the figure Porto wanted. They dropped their demands in response to an FFP issue.

Liverpool are very, very good at this. You seem to think it’s a problem, which is baffling to me.

2 Likes

A) Never even suggested that should be the approach. I’ve explained how, through careful spending, we still could have done the exact same style of recruitment Klopp ended up doing to address the needs that were there at least 12 months before they were addressed. Don’t start misrepresenting what I actually said to make it easier to mock me. Pisses everyone right off when you abuse your power to do that with anyone who doesn’t agree with you.

B) Are you actually arguing that if Klopp could bring in Diaz in summer or winter for exactly the same deals that he would willingly choose to wait 6 months? Or that he would have said no thanks to Konate the day Lovren walked out the door and voluntarily wait for a year? Being accepting of a situation (which is the best hes been in so far in his career) is not the same as not wanting it to be better.

You do know we are good at talent identification? Salah was a back up to a deal that couldn’t be done.

…that existed before this winter.

This is hysterical, Salah was the one our recruitment team kept telling Klopp to sign ahead of his preferred target. Which counters your entire arguement.

7 Likes

I much preferred this thread when we were on about John’s padded table and it’s possible uses. Why does everything have to get so polarised?

2 Likes

No you haven’t. You have basically just said we could use borrowing to fund it while ignoring all the other factors that go into decisions around club management and recruitment.

Not sure how you got your point B from @mascot’s post.

2 Likes

We might try to draw conclusions about the dynamics of our transfer situation based on what we’ve seen of how our moves have played out, but the reality is the data set is too small for it really tell us much. We’ve seen multiple different scenarios play out any of which in isolation could be used to support any narrative about this dynamic we want to tell. Unfortunately.

We have tons of evidence of Klopp both walking away from a close thing because he got a vibe, and also being willing to move on the next in line to get the need filled with a different body. Many people take Virgil as the counter to that, in line with your comment of Klopp being willing to wait for his man. But what is interesting about that move is the credible reporting that he was willing to walk away over the cost before FSG assured him the cost was fine if this was really the guy. Allegedly, Klopp was willing to wait during the summer window in the hope of going back in the January window, but once we entered back into negotiations he got frustrated with Southampton and was willing to walk away over what the price had become. His bosses, maybe independently and maybe with input from Edwards, seemed to understand how central Virgil was the improvement we need to make, and so they not only backed him, but had to talk him back into going ahead with the move.

What this variability among our different situations tells us is that we cannot interpret any of it with a simple rubric. The combination of the specific player, the perceived need being filled, the opportunity the deal in that moment represents - it all is factored in to how we may approach any specific deal. And how do we do that? With a large talented team who respect each other’s input and needs, who work well with each other, and are willing to table their opinion when talked down.

So what does that mean? I guess that even if going into one window Klopp did think we needed to fill a specific role, if we didn’t he wouldn’t be going home pissing into his chips about not being supported because he gets the dynamic and feels supported in it even if he at times he might not get exactly what he hoped hed get…

11 Likes

But not impacting Porto until towards the end of January when they couldn’t hold out any longer or drum up any other competition for Diaz.

Its the same play we saw with the Salah deal

1 Like

There is a few in this thread that have disappeared down the rabbit hole tonight :0)

1 Like

The deal that we struck for Diaz wasn’t on the table in summer, and suggesting it was is simply ridiculous. I don’t think Konate was on the table the previous summer either (and I don’t think it’s fair to draw any inference from that summer given we were slap bang in the height of the pandemic).

We’re back to the point we always get to with this discussion, which is you projecting your wishes onto Klopp, drawing inferences from his comments and behaviour that simply aren’t there, and twisting his words and that’s why people get pissed off with you.

3 Likes

At the same time, it’s a very different challenge building up the team the way he did, and carrying on a winning team.

I’m not underestimating his influence either, I’m just saying that we’re not going to collapse overnight and become Everton or where United are right now. We have a risk of not doing so well if we don’t pick the right manager, but that would probably just be limited to a trophy drought rather than being far away from challenging.

2 Likes

As long as the structure which is currently around Klopp remains intact, we’ll probably remain competitive as you say. But at the end of the day, the manager is the central figure and will influence everything around him with time going by.

On the other hand, FSG (Michael Gordon?) were good enough to identify and appoint Klopp, so it’s not unrealistic to hope that they’ll identify and appoint a good successor for him, who will be able to make the most out of what he finds at LFC, fingers crossed!

I honestly think he’ll want to continue building what he’s started. I can’t imagine why he would want to move on and start again from scratch somewhere else. He’s not that sort of manager. If he wants a break from football then fair enough. I can’t really see that either to be honest, but if he wanted a year off I’d be 100% OK with getting an interim in and having him come back. And if it came down to money, I’d sell The Kop to property developers to keep him if need be :rofl:

2 Likes

I think Klopp has said he would like this to be his last job in football.

2 Likes

I can see Jurgen maybe staying an extra year or two… then move onto some sort of Ambassadorial role upon the world stage of football… A sort of trouble-shooter role to bring football, its rules and the way games are refereed back to excite the fans once more… Harmonise the differing federations across the globe for example
Who better than Jurgen to pull the strings that matter eh

3 Likes

With every player who leaves and is not able to build on what they achieved here it gets more and more clear that we’ll be ‚fucked’ when Klopp leaves.

Players might have the talent but they are nothing without being at the right club under THE right manager.

We all know that Salah wont score as many goals if he leaves.

Virgil wont be the best CB elsewhere.

Trent wont be the the best RB without Jürgen.

All just names at the right place at the right time.

1 Like

We all have to be realistic, Jurgen will eventually leave the club one day. I would love Jurgen to extend his contract another year too. It will be one of the saddest days for us when he goes. Jurgen does need a rest and time with his family. He sacrificed alot personally, he missed his mum’s funeral.

Whoever comes as future manager after Jurgen will have huge boots to fill in terms of man management, tactics, mentorship, connection with the fanbase and charisma and personality.

6 Likes

I agree with you Maria.

I am an 80s child, so missed the whole euphoria of Shankly and then the education/passing of the baton of old Boot Room with continued success.
Without tempting fate, I personally believe Klopp will extend his stay by a further 2 years as long as he is backed by the board. He seems very happy here and with life in general, Without trying to sound ignorant or biased, there are not many a higher/rewarding accolade than managing a successful Liverpool team.
Referring to my earlier point about the boot room, I guess many a fan was gutted when Shankly resigned, fortunately, the successors who followed were successful. I never witnessed Shankly’s aurora but imagine Klopp being somewhere close, hopefully, when Klopp calls it a day we have the same pattern as when Shankly did.

3 Likes
2 Likes

What Jurgen walked into on his first day at the job at LFC
What we all see today…! :0)

7 Likes