La Liga discussion

They don’t really have another RB. They have dealt with that the last few seasons by having a collection of (mostly squad) players who could “do a job there” but that means either a CBs who don’t like being exposed out wide and aren’t great going forward (primarily Nacho), or wingers who don’t like to defend (Vazquez). And Nacho has now moved on.

Do think that they’ll play some from their Castilla team. Atleast till the January Window.

Carvajal has been running on empty for a couple of years now. Real were well aware of that and so have spend a couple of years rotating him out of the side pretty frequently to try to manage his limitations. There is a reason Lucas Vazquez is still at the club despite only being their 8th or 9th choice forward and actually had more appearances in the league last year than Carvajal did.

1 Like

Vazquez, Militao, maybe someone else will have to do a job for now. But it’s clear that defence will have to be the next focus for Real. Not only in terms of depth, but the average age of their entire defence is 29.9.

Yeah, Carlo has played Militao there, but they are pretty short at CB right now as well with Alaba still out and Nacho gone. They have a lad they signed about 7 years ago who has spent about 6 of those on loan to various clubs who appears to have stayed so they have the option of playing him and moving the Brazilian out to RB. I dont know if either of their LBs are comfortable on the right (something that is very rarely the case)

Funny you say that, because I actually saw Ferland Mendy playing RB once for France, away against Croatia. Don’t know if they would do it. Whoever plays there will get good protection from Valverde. They will manage until January one way or another. And yeah, poor Vallejo is totally out of rhythm in last years. No games, no interest to take him, maybe no great interest to leave “anywhere” either.

1 Like

I just read Militao picked up an injury against Lille and so they already had Tchouameni playing CB yesterday :see_no_evil:

Yeah, Tchouameni covered when needed at CB last season. Such a shame for Militao, he was establishing himself as one of the world’s best CB’s before his big injury.