LFC Sporting Director thread

He’s the guy you send to Disneyworld to confuse journalists when you’re up to something shady.

Hasn’t Michael Edwards had enough of a “break”?

He does the crucial interference and obfuscation role for us

1 Like

Getting a job full time = permanent appointment

Getting a full-time job = working 40+ hours a week

I believe Matty was referring to the former initially…

2 Likes

But you can get a full time job on a temporary/fixed term contract.

Yes, but you wouldn’t have the job full time.

Isn’t the English language wonderful? :rofl:

It’s hard to evaluate Big Jorg since I don’t have the job description, and wouldn’t know what he was responsible for.

What I can say is that I like the signings we made over the summer.

The midfield department has been refreshed and we have loads of talent there now. Lots of ineffective wages have come off the books and the age has come right down. We look set in the midfield department, for years to come. When Thiago leaves we will probably add another, but the numbers, age and quality have all been corrected.

The defence needs work next. And there will probably be some wrangling over Mo, but hopefully not until next summer.

I wouldn’t have a clue how much of this is down to Big Jorg or not.

1 Like

Who knows :joy:

In my time as a working professional ( :disguised_face:), Full time has always been related to hours (along with PT, and Zero Hour contracts) and not the contract type (permanent, temp, fixed term etc)

Not that I actually care - as you say - mad language!

We have to be careful not to over interpret these things. He was talking about how it is different at liverpool compared to the roles he’s had before in Germany where the manager was very much expected to work with what he was given. We know Klopp has always been an important pillar in our process even when Edwards and Ward were here. This is something Jorg wont have experienced before and we need to understand what he is saying in that context.

I am sure the dynamic is different with him here, because it always is when key personnel change even if the process has not purposefully changed. But I think this “Klopp is running things” and the process is now subservient to him idea that seems to have come into general acceptance is likely a significant misreading of the situation.

4 Likes

Looks like it.

https://twitter.com/David_Ornstein/status/1699816101062815820?s=20

2 Likes

It’s more of a colloquialism rather than a technical term.

“I started as a temp but then they gave me the job full time”, for example.

Maybe it’s mainly a southern England thing, which is why me and Matty understand it :joy:

1 Like

It is much easier to be analytical and unemotional about retaining a great player a year too long when you aren’t working with that player everyday developing a close, trusting relationship. And usually better for the club to let a player go 1 year too soon than 1 year too late.

A big reason why having a strong DoF was/is important to long term stability of a club. Klopp is an incredible manager and loyal, but in hindsight we should have rotated at least 1 of Hendo/Fabinho/Milner last summer (as we started doing with Mane/Firmino) as they were all at ages where the legs could go any year.

3 Likes

Did suggest having him as a guide so this perhaps would be useful.

We let go of Sadio, Bobby, Gini, Divock, Shaq, and Millie at the right time. Jordan should have never received that lengthy of an extension. Having a much better season and being in the CL would have been much more preferable to letting Hendo go on a free. Keita, Ox we take on the chin coz if fully fit and available they could have been useful so their contracts were the right length.

3 Likes

That sounds about right. Looked a year late on Fabinho (and really Jordan). Mo is edging into that territory. He could be great for another 2-3 years or significantly less effective by the end of this season.

1 Like

On the flip side we probably don’t sell Fabinho for 60m the summer before.

Jordan you could see the steady decline, especially after he had to take up more of the running burden from Gini’s departure and his advancing age (relatively speaking of course). Fab just fell off a cliff. Don’t know if Edwards, in conjunction with our medical sciences people, could have predicted that one and acted accordingly.
Specifically, I think we would have brought in alternative(s) to the Tchouameni snub…or maybe never approached him formally after sounding his camp out and focused our efforts on attainable targets.

Just seemed at times it was coming and then he fell off it.

I don’t think the funds from the SA was there the year before hence my point.

But i live and work in the south too :rofl:

Did we though? Sadio went on the cheap with a year left on his deal and Bobby, Gini and Divock all walked away for nothing, as did Keita and Ox who cost a combined £90m. To me that might be the right time in terms of what was left in their legs but it doesn’t help with our recruitment for the right time coinciding with the end of contracts.

Millner and Shaq I’ll give you but the others should have gone earlier and for a fee or had their contracts better planned.

1 Like