Liverpool FC - Pre-season

So it is done! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Arne Slot:

“We played with a double 10 that we’re not going to do during the season but we don’t have a striker at the moment. Once we have centre forward, we will set up a bit differently.”

“There were a few positives and a few things to improve. We only conceded one big chance. We controlled the game really well and had a few good attacks.”

“I think there was some individual performances that could’ve been better, the choices we sometimes make with the ball can and will be much better in the future, in between we had 5/6 good attacks.”

“We can and will get a lot better on the ball, if individual performances get a little better and the choices we make will eventually be better as well.”

7 Likes

It was good to see the system Slot wants to play out on the pitch. Can see how the double pivot gives more passing lanes to the defence, and allows progressive play. Good to see overlapping full backs being deployed, thought both Bradley and Tsimikas did well.

Everyone had moments, everyone went missing, but its early.

Trey was particularly impressive. Jarros comes across a bit nutty, which i dont mind.

3 Likes

It was noticeable when he came on for Jones how much quicker he was moving the ball. Always seemed to find himself space as well.

4 Likes

I liked how realistic Slot was in his comments. Said Trey did well, praised him, and also set expectations to say he’s not ready for Premier League football and needs to grow.

I like that. Take the pressure off. Let the lad develop.

Still, with that said, he looked comfortable on the ball, and has the vision to turn and pass it through the lines even without a lot of space.

One to watch for sure.

4 Likes

Thought Sepp did reasonably well last night, Betis were pretty sharp in their press and got at us very high quite often in the first half when our back 4 and keeper had the ball so at times it was a little kamikaze and some nervy play, not only by him.

& comes across as a cool, calm young man. Can’t knock a player that wants to play which he emphasised a few times in this interview clip from after the game.

5 Likes

In comparison to Jones, it was quicker than much quicker. My main complaint about Jones.

Yup there was one cross that effectively would have been a goal but he followed the ball not the man which was what Nat was doing.

1 Like

It’s a friendly if anyone is shredding their nerves off that they probably need to see a doctor.

2 Likes

In fairness, he said will be. I think he meant if we play like that in the league rather than in this particular game.

I see the hype around Nyoni has made its way to Wikipedia.

15 Likes

Sep VdB has filled out since I last saw him. There’s a decent career there for him if he wants it. Going by his comments it seems doubtful that will be with us, but you never know. In the interview clip he kept talking about playing, and while he did fine in the preseason friendly, when VVD and Konate are back, to say nothing of singing another defender, he will move down the pecking order.

Good player though, but probably more a rotation option for us, which is why he will likely move on to play elsewhere. I don’t mind that. He seems to know what he wants.

If and when he goes, I expect us to sign another central defender.

Yeah I think we would all question if we played like a team playing its first pre season game.

Finally came to watch the game. It’s this part of the year when we come to see the odd new skinny teenager on a pitch. Only this time, there were a lot of skinny teenagers around, actually more so than seasoned pros! :joy:

Seriously, it was the usual pre-season game, quite slow, dull at times, but the lads did themselves proud with good performances. A good tidy goal for Szobo, although it’s the only stand-out moment for him. Jones coming off is really really disappointing, hopefully it’s nothing too serious, fingers crossed!

The atmosphere was shite in that half-empty stadium. But what else could have been expected, eh? Hopefully next year we go in the East again if we have to travel that far again, in front of proper football crowds.

2 Likes

https://x.com/AnfieldSector/status/1817180483328921866

3 Likes

You may have me wrong, the style looks similar to Brighton where we encourage the press and then play through it, which for a lot of fans will be nervy to an extent. My style is to play football, keep the ball and look for pass in most situations than hoofing it

luissuarez?

1 Like

i love watching videos of prime Busquets, but whats that got to do with our pre season?

1 Like

https://x.com/Watch_LFC/status/1817328027250094483

https://x.com/LFC/status/1817341700194623679