Liverpool Season 2022-23

A stat that amazes me is that we have the most shots on target per game in the Premier League this season, with an average of 5.5 shots on target per game.

What’s even more remarkable is that we are only third in this stat at home (6.4), yet lead the league in away games (5.5). Yet we’re only joint eleventh in goals scored away from home (1.0)

It appears to be a combination of every goalkeeper we face channeling their inner Lev Yashin and our shots lacking the necessary precision and quality, leading to our truly abysmal away results.

2 Likes

You show your age mate, oh and now I have shown mine too … :sunglasses:

• Van Dijk, at some moments he seems like he doesn’t care
  • Matip, big decline
  • Gomez, not our level in the past 2, 3 years
  • Trent, lack of competition, lack of cover, but he can fight back I am sure
  • Fabinho, complete downfall, I wonder if he get sold
  • Ramsay, is he a player for us next season?
  • Hendo, seems like no energy anymore like he had before
  • Curtis, when he can’t get in this squad, I wonder what next…
  • Harvey appeared in all 41 games this season, but was it enough just to appear?
  • Thiago, injury prone
  • Fabio Carvalho, do we even count on him?
  • Diogo Jota without a goal since 10th of April 2022, despite all the injuries
  • Keita, Ox and Milly will probably leave, as well as Firmino, not worth a comment

What are your thoughts?

1 Like
  • Of course he cares, that’s just typical lazy stuff from us fans when a player doesn’t perform. It’s Virgil’s way though, even when he was at his best. He’s had to wait more than it’s normal (considering the levels he’s hit) for the big scene at both club and international level. So I do feel sometimes he plays the “calm as you like”, Rolls Royce type of thing a bit too much (which is dangerous for a defender, you cannot be too calm and then passive or too active and then overly aggressive), but no way I’d say he doesn’t care.

• Wouldn’t say big decline, but it may be that physically it’s becoming harder for him to respond consistently to the demands needed. Especially in a defence which is under fire from all sides due to leaks in front and midfield. Also, probably wouldn’t be the best direct backup at the age of 32 if he’s mostly in a lack of rhythm. And when he’s in rhythm, he can’t play 3 games per week anymore. Might be best for both parties to see if we can get a certian fee this summer.

• The best Joe Gomez for me was start of the 18/19 season and then he also had a quality period when it was his turn at CB in 19/20. He did have some good games since then. But as a starter, years go by and you hope he repairs his mistakes or at least improving them a bit. He didn’t. At the age of 26 soon, he has the same weaknesses he always had, even when he was at his best. I don’t think he’s good enough to be a starting defender for us.

• Can agree with most if not all of that. Still a brilliant player in some aspects of the game (despite his big drop in assists), but he must perform better. Needs to sort himself out mentally and physically. It’s true that he needs to be protected better. Also, if there are no steps back to his best, he needs to have better competition (and I don’t care what it’s named, whether it comes from inside or a new from outside) and feel like how it’s like losing some minutes when you don’t perform. He cannot play and act at 24-25 like he’s a veteran who’s done it all at Liverpool and just needs to get the next captaincy. Right now, he’s a bit too comfortable.

• Probably the biggest drop and inability to recuperate any sort of serious form, apart from a few little performances or signals. He wasn’t fast even when he was at his best. We could see little glimpses of that even in our purple patch. That he struggles when the team is not compact and he’s not getting help around him. I have no idea if we can sell him this summer, or maybe a loan or loan with option/obligation to buy. One to wait and see what happens, which could partly influence whether we go for 2 or 3 new midfielders.

• Nobody knows. Young player, I actually liked the bits I’ve seen from him. But I guess now it’s about getting him fit first, to see how much we can count on him. Not putting pressure on him being the main or only backup RB next season (partly the reason why Millie might stay for one more year). See what’s his level during or when pre-season ends, if he can fully go through it. Then decide what’s best in the short-term. Which will be the case with a few players this summer, as usual.

• It’s true that it seems like some of that energy is dropping. It’s normal, due to how much he plays and he will be 33 this summer. But athletically, he’s better than Fabinho. He needs help, we need help. Fresh legs and fresh quality. So our energy in midfield doesn’t depend so much on having Hendo on the pitch all the time and our control doesn’t depend so much on having Thiago on the pitch all the time (the latter when he’s available!).

• Very frustrating the amount of football he’s missed over the last season or almost two now. Weird injuries, constant stop-start, etc. Stagnated his development both as a players overall and positionally on the pitch. 22 now, not oficially at least a young player anymore. Hard to tell how far he goes here. Certain potential is still there. Unusual combination of ability + the body/stature he has. Question about his mentality/tactical awareness, ceiling. He could get a bit more time or maybe a loan somewhere, before seeing what next. Some of these players won’t be part of next season I don’t think.

• The fact that Elliott is our player so far this season with most games played says more about us than him. But to be fair to the kid, it was not all bad. We have a lot of players (actually too many), he wouldn’t have played so much if he was that bad. It was mixed and it could raise his chances to be here next season. But not playing as much, if we improve things. The rest is up to him to learn, improve and put people in front of him under pressure.

• What’s Keita or Ox if Thiago is injury prone? He’s playing around the same number of games he’s always played. You don’t buy a Thiago in his late 20’s/entering his 30’s and expect him to be a machine for 50+ games a season. Probably plays his final season next season and if he can get to around 30-35 games, I’m alright with that. In our mess this season, it’s easy to forget that he was one of the rare ones performing at a good level. Looking like he’s a player who’s been and belongs at a serious level. Sure, there were games and moments when people underperfoming around him made him also play with mistakes. I’m fine with him, but hopefully one of the few midfield signings we make can make us him smarter.

• A bit like Ramsay. Long term, there’s nothing to suggest we’re not counting on them. Or that we’re not open to get a serious player from them. Short-term and going into next season, it will be hard to find quality room for him. It’s not a big deal. Young player coming to Liverpool from 1 season in the Championship. Really nothing catastrophic if it takes him time or simply doesn’t happen after a few years. Could be loaned out next season and then we see the progress he’s made when he’s back. Needs to be more robust, concrete and defensively sound to play offensive positions here. If he struggles with it in offensive positions, there’s even less chances he’s getting games in midfield. But has ability.

• Yeah, weird stat. When he joined, he was all goals and practically no assists. Now he’s not scoring, despite being out a lot, but he’s suddenly assisting. I remember last season when his drought started, I was still relatively satisfied with his performances. They weren’t problematic. He started some important games and gave us important performances. Get him fit this summer and let that attack fight each other for game time and importance. It’s true that Jota needs to prove himself a bit again. But in pre-season it might be basically 2 positions open for 4 players to grab them.

• Keita, Ox and Bobby will leave, yes. Millie, we don’t know yet. It seems like he might be closer to staying than leaving. And I’m alright with that.

2 Likes

A realistic Klopp speaks. :+1:

2 Likes

Maybe time for Phillips and Williams in midfield.

Unfortunately our viable midfielders are all match fit.

I’m not convinced like many others, that top 4 is gone. I wonder how many people were saying the same in 2020-21 too…

1 Like

Beating Arsenal will be difficult enough.

Next game will be even more difficult. Against Leeds. Away from home. On a Monday night.

6 points and anything is possible. But can’t see it unfortunately :confounded:

It’s not impossible, just extremely unlikely.

I think @Mascot’s point applies here. The standards for top 4 are very different to the standards for competing against a bunch of cheats. If we can improve on our away results, then that’s basically almost all the work done.

1 Like

If we play like we did for the last 50 minutes of today’s game, we could win all our remaining nine games. That would give us 71 points, which was enough to secure fourth place in six of the last ten seasons.

3 Likes

So you’re saying there’s no chance, then? :joy:

1 Like

If you weren’t so cynical you would just be an old git. But you are so you aint. The point is if ain’t doin’ all the heav’ liftin’.

April 17: Leeds away
April 22: Forest home
April 26: West Ham away
April 30: Spurs home
May 3: Fulham home
May 6: Brentford home
May 15: Leicester away
May 20: Villa home
May 28: Southampton away

1 Like

Lets go and win the fucking lot :clap: :clap: :clap:.

3 Likes

And win that fourth place ‘trophy’. Are we Arsenal in disguise?

We are not even close to 4th place…that is still very debatable…

Yeah, I’ve been suspicious for a while (already around January), thinking there’s not enough quality (in our performances) and consistency compared to our competition to do it. But definitely lost faith maybe after Bournemouth. There was a little window there to shorten the gap, now it’s too big. Next target EL, after that Conference. Maybe we end up with nothing. I bloody hate Liverpool seasons without European football.

1 Like

League table after 14 games (my first rough guess as to when January was):

10 points off 4th, but with a game in hand.

League table after 19 games (I believe this is just at the start of January):

7 points off, 1 game in hand.

After 22 games:

11 points off, 1 game in hand.

At the end of that dreadful January:

9 points off, 1 game in hand.

Now:

12 points behind, having taken 5 points from the last 15 (with rather hard fixtures), and Newcastle having taken 15 from the last 15.

Despite those absolutely shite months, the gap is barely wider than it was before.

But apparently our form is just unique and the rest of the teams are going to go through the rest of the season without dropping any points.

If we recover our form to anywhere it should be, we will get 4th at least. If we don’t, there’s still every chance as long as we improve our performance and consistency at least somewhat.

But no, I don’t buy that we are completely dead and buried, or that the odds are overwhelmingly against us. This is not an FFP-violating, money-laundering club we’re going up against.

3 Likes