Liverpool Youth Teams Thread

I just did a quick search and found at least 3 other players called Gyimah including one playing for Sunderland. I didn’t realise it is such a common name!

All looked to be a similar skin tone to our player. I suppose it is always possible that they have mislabelled the photo although I am now intrigued as to who it is.

The lad who scored 10 for Arsenal against our U16s just scored 7 for Arsenal U18s against Norwich in a 9-0 win. (Chido Obi)

1 Like

I watched the highlights of this (as I do for every game I can find) and I felt a bit sorry for the Norwich number 4. He was a trialist, I don’t recognise him from the video, but playing CB for a club on trial and letting in 9 goals with several of them being directly caused by the CF running off your shoulder is pretty tough.

For what it’s worth Obi, while still super young at 16 and despite a massive goal haul, doesn’t pop for me in any video I’ve seen. He didn’t look as clumsy as I’ve seen him in the past and he made some decent runs but I’m massing the part where he wows me with anything he does. In most cases he just so happens to be the guy who scores rather than someone I want to see. “Pop on tape” might be an old-school scouting method but I find it quite reliable when it comes for identifying future stars.

No doubt he’ll play U21 football next season, it’ll be interesting to see how he fits in where he isn’t physically dominant.

1 Like

Liverpool won their first round game of the Premier League 2 Playoffs withba 3-2 win over Palace. Couple of stunners in there from Gordon and Nyoni.

And yes Whitworth, the Palace goalkeeper, does have big time Jordan Pickford energy.

2 Likes

Defending like that, they’d fit right into the first team.

Luke Hewiston, 19 year old goalkeeper who spent this season on loan at Stalybridge Celtic, is on trial at Middlesbrough. Played in their 2-0 U21 play-off loss to Reading.

1 Like

Described as prolific scorer.

2 Likes

He’s been a disappointing so far to be honest. Came into the 18s with a big reputation and he had the kind of build and physical traits that normally gets players accelerated through the youth system but he’s found U18s a bit of a struggle to even earn regular gametime.

I believe he gets one more year of eligibility as an U18s, by a few days, and he really could do with having a strong season.

1 Like

U21s in a tough game today in the Premier League 2 playoffs. Away at top-seed Tottenham. Currently 2-1 down, Liverpool took the lead through Lewis Koumas but Jamie Donley levelled for Spurs before Tyrese Hall put them ahead.

Liverpool squad sees James Norris and Luca Stephenson back after their loans to Tranmere and Barrow respectively.

Mrozek
Miles Pinnington Nallo Norris
Davidson Pilling Laffey
Morrison Koumas Nyoni

Subs: Kelly; Lucky, Stephenson, Spearing

Liverpool clearly heavily rotated with the likes of Mabaya, Scanlon, Williams, McConnell, Kone-Doherty, Frauendorf, Clark, Danns, Gordon and Musialowski not involved.

1 Like

In extra time after REDS come back after being 3 1 down

Lost on penalties 5-4 in the shootout. Norris unfortunately the only one of 10 players to miss (although he did score and assist in normal time)

1 Like

Any chance they were involved with first-team training instead?

Yeah there will be a mix - injuries, first team training and in some cases (like Blair) they’ve probably been given permission to look for other clubs so are focused on that.

2 Likes
2 Likes

In case anyone is interested - the final of the U21 Professional Development League is being broadcast live on Birmingham City’s Twitter channel.

It’s half-time right now - Sheffield United 1-0 Birmingham City.

1 Like

https://x.com/LewisBower2021/status/1795759827244708075

This is nice! Kelleher’s in-house replacement perhaps?

3 Likes

I thought he is Polish :grimacing:

https://x.com/AnfieldSector/status/1796640091118473567

1 Like

https://x.com/LFC/status/1798092192675733650

4 Likes

Lewis, Musialowski, Frauendorf, Giblin, Gyimah, Pennington, Hewitson and Osborne released.

4 Likes